FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
Isn't it so horrible how we exist in this society where suicide is seen as something to be prevented rather than supported and respected. As after all if one wants to cease existing on their own terms then that is always a very valid way to feel, I despise how so many people refuse to accept that and just want to push the idea that people should continue suffering instead, it's just so wrong.

To me wanting to die is all that feels rational to escape from all undesirable and unnecessary suffering in this existence that is just so cruel and futile. There's no benefit to delaying the inevitable, it just leads to more pain so if one wants to cease existing to be free from that then they should be able to, that's their right and it should be supported.

Simply just existing is so harmful, so the whole idea of suicide prevention is just delusional in the first place. Existence itself is the problem rather than the thoughts of suicide and I don't get how death is supposedly "bad" as one cannot suffer from not existing and we are all just going to die anyway.
Those who want to stop people escaping from suffering should just learn to mind their own business as suicide prevention just causes harm.

It's insane really how this society is so anti-suicide even despite the fact that existence is undeniably so hellish with no limit as to how much one can suffer. To me wanting to escape from this reality is all that makes sense, I will always see it as preferable to not exist so it disgusts me when other people go on about trying to prevent that by prolong other people's suffering.

• Hugs
Reactions: LonelyStarrySky, Oguzok, Daxter_87 and 4 others
Mistiie

Mistiie

This is a Junly moment
Nov 10, 2023
I mean, aiming to prevent suicide absolutely makes sense. Should we be allowed a choice in doing it? Yes. Does that mean that we shouldn't try and deter any possibility of it manifesting in the first place, or at least try and get help for those who feel suicidal? No.

Suicide prevention is absolutely a thing that should be promoted, as is a choice in the matter that is your life. They can coexist. You act against suicide prevention, and that quickly turns towards a pro-death approach for those who are suicidal, which isn't pro-choice at all.

If you mean physically preventing someone from doing it before exhausting all reasonable options, then I agree, but otherwise suicide prevention should be a thing and anyone that doesn't agree is more likely to be an advocate for death before actually exploring the possibility of getting better, and I shouldn't have to explain why that's a stupid take.

• Love
Reactions: アホペンギン, annointed_towers, betternever2havbeen and 7 others
Darkover

Darkover

Angelic
Jul 29, 2021
they just don't care about people nobody asked to be born and it should be up to the individual to decided if thier life is worth living or not

Reactions: Oguzok and Daxter_87
Seered Doom

Seered Doom

A nihilist going through an unrelinquished Hell
Sep 9, 2023
Honestly, it's something that's up to the person it will affect. No one else.

Reactions: Ranni, Daxter_87 and winamp
Frontier

Frontier

Nov 25, 2023
I mean, aiming to prevent suicide absolutely makes sense. Should we be allowed a choice in doing it? Yes. Does that mean that we shouldn't try and deter any possibility of it manifesting in the first place, or at least try and get help for those who feel suicidal? No.

Suicide prevention is absolutely a thing that should be promoted, as is a choice in the matter that is your life. They can coexist. You act against suicide prevention, and that quickly turns towards a pro-death approach for those who are suicidal, which isn't pro-choice at all.

If you mean physically preventing someone from doing it before exhausting all reasonable options, then I agree, but otherwise suicide prevention should be a thing and anyone that doesn't agree is more likely to be an advocate for death before actually exploring the possibility of getting better, and I shouldn't have to explain why that's a stupid take.
Certainly. There is still hope for many suicidal people. They should be given the chance to recover and find joy in their lives.

Reactions: haibane, betternever2havbeen, Oguzok and 1 other person
LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
As after all if one wants to cease existing on their own terms then that is always a very valid way to feel,
A valid way to feel but feelings are not always the best guide for how to act.

Arihman

Arihman

Efilist, atheist, pro-right to die.
Jun 8, 2023
Suicide prevention in and of itself is not the problem, coercive suicide prevention is, because it forces suicidal people to hide like criminals unless they yield to the popular narratives about CTB, effectively discouraging them from being honest about their intentions without having their liberties violated via force, thus making it more likely for them to commit suicide in secret and on impulse (due to feeling like they're trapped with no other way out), which in turn unwittingly promotes the usage of risky methods that could end up making things worse for them.

Finally, and ironically, coercive suicide prevention also makes it more likely for family and friends to be more traumatized, due to the suicidal individual having to hide his or her intentions, which in turn makes it more likely for loved ones to "suddenly" find said individual's corpse, and be more affected by the loss due to being unprepared for it.

On the other hand, if we had the right to die with a waiting period included, these problems would be avoided or considerably mitigated, because:

1) Suicidal people could be honest about ther intentions in advance, thus giving their loved ones the time and opportunity to persuade them to live without coercing them while the waiting period is still in place;
2) Loved ones could also prepare in advance for the loss, thus likely making it less painful than it would otherwise be;
3) Suicidal people could decide, of their own accord, to stay alive, due to the comfort of always having the option to check out later on if things get too bad for them, instead of having decades ahead of them where they will be forced to risk any possible negative outcome while always being trapped. This, in turn, would also spare family and friends the pain of loss, while respecting the suicidal person's rights. It's a win win situation for both parties.

• Love
Reactions: Oneness, アホペンギン, Humble and 2 others
ringo99

ringo99

Arcanist
Apr 18, 2023
I have to disagree here. Not everyone who's suicidal has no way out. As an example a student who fails an exam and wants to ctb shouldn't be encouraged. That sort of thing happens a lot in Asia. Or a teenager in school who got dumped and wants to ctb should be counseled. The ones who have analyzed their life after a ton of introspection and realized that their life will be nothing but unrelenting pain will of course be rational in their approach to suicide. A person suffering from a terminal illness or looming homelessness/bankruptcy should be allowed to ctb without restrictions should he/she wish to do so. The decision to ctb has to be rational over emotional.

A blanket statement that all suicide prevention is bad is wrong and can lead to unnecessary suffering.

Reactions: user56765567, betternever2havbeen and Deleted member 65988
Abyssal

Abyssal

Kill me
Nov 26, 2023
I feel the problem is not the prevention of suicide, but rather how people go about it. I think prevention is okay so long as it is an option rather than a forced decision. Being locked up, however, is harmful and misguided.

We are treated as less than human by those who think they are helping us, and that is the true harm of prevention.

Reactions: haibane, betternever2havbeen and WonderingSoul
D

Deleted member 65988

Suicide prevention in and of itself is not the problem, coercive suicide prevention is, because it forces suicidal people to hide like criminals unless they yield to the popular narratives about CTB, effectively discouraging them from being honest about their intentions without having their liberties violated via force, thus making it more likely for them to commit suicide in secret and on impulse (due to feeling like they're trapped with no other way out), which in turn unwittingly promotes the usage of risky methods that could end up making things worse for them.

Finally, and ironically, coercive suicide prevention also makes it more likely for family and friends to be more traumatized, due to the suicidal individual having to hide his or her intentions, which in turn makes it more likely for loved ones to "suddenly" find said individual's corpse, and be more affected by the loss due to being unprepared for it.

On the other hand, if we had the right to die with a waiting period included, these problems would be avoided or considerably mitigated, because:

1) Suicidal people could be honest about ther intentions in advance, thus giving their loved ones the time and opportunity to persuade them to live without coercing them while the waiting period is still in place;
2) Loved ones could also prepare in advance for the loss, thus likely making it less painful than it would otherwise be;
3) Suicidal people could decide, of their own accord, to stay alive, due to the comfort of always having the option to check out later on if things get too bad for them, instead of having decades ahead of them where they will be forced to risk any possible negative outcome while always being trapped. This, in turn, would also spare family and friends the pain of loss, while respecting the suicidal person's rights. It's a win win situation for both parties.
You've absolutely nailed it here.

Humble

Humble

Just chillin'
Nov 26, 2023
I have to disagree here. Not everyone who's suicidal has no way out. As an example a student who fails an exam and wants to ctb shouldn't be encouraged. That sort of thing happens a lot in Asia. Or a teenager in school who got dumped and wants to ctb should be counseled. The ones who have analyzed their life after a ton of introspection and realized that their life will be nothing but unrelenting pain will of course be rational in their approach to suicide. A person suffering from a terminal illness or looming homelessness/bankruptcy should be allowed to ctb without restrictions should he/she wish to do so. The decision to ctb has to be rational over emotional.

A blanket statement that all suicide prevention is bad is wrong and can lead to unnecessary suffering.
THIS!! Strongly agree!!

Reactions: ringo99 and Deleted member 65988
wilbursoot6969

wilbursoot6969

Nov 1, 2023
I think there's an important bit of nuance here. Being against suicide prevention doesn't mean you are pro-death. If you are against suicide prevention, then you are against suicide being discouraged and taken away as an option for people, which ultimately means you support suicide being open as a choice for people to make - which is what the pro-choice viewpoint is. It doesn't mean you are pro-death for people, it means you are against the restriction of suicide for people as an option.

Oguzok

Oguzok

forever young...i want to be forever young
Nov 24, 2023
Isn't it so horrible how we exist in this society where suicide is seen as something to be prevented rather than supported and respected. As after all if one wants to cease existing on their own terms then that is always a very valid way to feel, I despise how so many people refuse to accept that and just want to push the idea that people should continue suffering instead, it's just so wrong.

To me wanting to die is all that feels rational to escape from all undesirable and unnecessary suffering in this existence that is just so cruel and futile. There's no benefit to delaying the inevitable, it just leads to more pain so if one wants to cease existing to be free from that then they should be able to, that's their right and it should be supported.

Simply just existing is so harmful, so the whole idea of suicide prevention is just delusional in the first place. Existence itself is the problem rather than the thoughts of suicide and I don't get how death is supposedly "bad" as one cannot suffer from not existing and we are all just going to die anyway.
Those who want to stop people escaping from suffering should just learn to mind their own business as suicide prevention just causes harm.

It's insane really how this society is so anti-suicide even despite the fact that existence is undeniably so hellish with no limit as to how much one can suffer. To me wanting to escape from this reality is all that makes sense, I will always see it as preferable to not exist so it disgusts me when other people go on about trying to prevent that by prolong other people's suffering.
Yeah, I think if people has right to live safely, why can't they have rights to take their own lives. Even though I think suicide prevention is needed, but not in such aggressive and forcing way(

LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
I think there's an important bit of nuance here. Being against suicide prevention doesn't mean you are pro-death. If you are against suicide prevention, then you are against suicide being discouraged and taken away as an option for people, which ultimately means you support suicide being open as a choice for people to make - which is what the pro-choice viewpoint is. It doesn't mean you are pro-death for people, it means you are against the restriction of suicide for people as an option.
In the context the of OP's views it does because as stated they oppose any kind of deterring clearly irrational actors or consoling ambivalent contemplators.

Reactions: betternever2havbeen