Viranamari

Viranamari

A Future Corpse
Feb 22, 2023
This thread isn't to belittle anyone with physical or mental illnesses as I believe both are equally important. Let's say I have cancer then everyone would start pitying me, treating me nice etc. As compared to having let's say schizophrenia, then I'm suddenly some type of homicidal maniac. No one wants to talk to me, people would talk behind my back calling me crazy etc. Its not that cancer is a joke but schizophrenia isn't either and people don't realize that. The only solution to such people is ignorance as arguing with them would only be a waste of time. What about you? Did you have any experience about this before?

Reactions: hopefully, vcnt, Tired&Drained and 2 others
D

d3c96524be95

Student
Jan 24, 2023
This thread isn't to belittle anyone with physical or mental illnesses as I believe both are equally important. Let's say I have cancer then everyone would start pitying me, treating me nice etc. As compared to having let's say schizophrenia, then I'm suddenly some type of homicidal maniac. No one wants to talk to me, people would talk behind my back calling me crazy etc. Its not that cancer is a joke but schizophrenia isn't either and people don't realize that. The only solution to such people is ignorance as arguing with them would only be a waste of time. What about you? Did you have any experience about this before?
Add to that people with mental illnesses (including schizophrenia) are a lot more at risk of being abused by """normal people""" than abusing or hurting anyone. Even when people pretend they are understanding and aware, they'll subconsciously find ways to exclude you from the group if you don't match the "sanity criteria". No matter what you do, when you have a serious mental illness, you're bound to live like an hermit and be profoundly misunderstood and denied by society.

Reactions: vcnt, DiscT, Tired&Drained and 1 other person
Viranamari

Viranamari

A Future Corpse
Feb 22, 2023
Add to that people with mental illnesses (including schizophrenia) are a lot more at risk of being abused by """normal people""" than abusing or hurting anyone. Even when people pretend they are understanding and aware, they'll subconsciously find ways to exclude you from the group if you don't match the "sanity criteria". No matter what you do, when you have a serious mental illness, you're bound to live like an hermit and be profoundly misunderstood and denied by society.
I was using schizophrenia as an example. Its even possible to use autism instead but I see what you mean. Thanks for adding on to my point.

Reactions: vcnt and Tired&Drained
DiscT

DiscT

Feb 3, 2023
Mental illness is the society's achilles heel.

Mental illness is a blow right to the egotistic, macho, workaholic, ambitious, sadomasochistic heart of a pathocratic colonial society.

If mental health was examined to its end, it would bring this slave society and existence to an end and we have a suspicion of this but we are too afraid to admit it.

We all have a mental health to look after. Let's not betray it in the name of some vague idea of "progress". Break the stigma with ourselves first. Hopefully the world will follow.

Reactions: Viranamari and vcnt
hopefully

hopefully

wishing i had a cat
Mar 8, 2023
At my work, people are able to talk about their chronic pain, surgeries, injuries, etc. but I'm terrified everyone thinks I'm crazy for the few visible scars they can see or if they know about my hospitalization. I feel like I can't tell anyone when I'm about to have a panic attack or just have super high anxiety or need help. I hate it. I definitely feel the stigma everyday.

• Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: NumbItAll and Viranamari