Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
I am a binge watcher of crime and related subjects documentaries, I am astonished that people get 3 years in jail in some states of cities for having half a joint in their cars for example. They are mixed with the general population. How do you feel in relation to your country, where I'm from, police can see you smoking a joint in the streets, even being illegal, all they say is, guys just throw that out, I pretend I didn't see it. I am not insulting the US by any means, would just like to hear some opinions about over populated jails, with a lot of misdemeanour cases. One thing I don't like about my country though is that a first degree murder gets only 25 years, that's it, only 25 years regardless on how horrific the Crime was. Which means they are free after 12 and a half years or so. Another situation 3 police kill a Afro American unarmed with 41 rounds of bullets. Walk off free after trial and are still at the police. I can understand true convict criminals convicted without a doubt. But because a half a joint possession and another previous charge similar to this in their file. It's surreal.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: _Minsk, WoAiGou, Kristicide and 3 others
Snake of Eden

Snake of Eden

“Ye shall be as gods..🍎 🐍”
Jun 22, 2021
Thank you for starting the thread. The prison situation in the world and specifically in USA is horrendous. I would like to add more later because i am feeling tired today but definitely an interesting subject to tackle

• Love
Reactions: _Minsk and Sherri
Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
Thank you for starting the thread. The prison situation in the world and specifically in USA is horrendous. I would like to add more later because i am feeling tired today but definitely an interesting subject to tackle
Thank you, it is . Looking forward to read your comment.

• Love
Reactions: _Minsk and Snake of Eden
WoAiGou

WoAiGou

Stalinist
Dec 16, 2021
It makes sense when you realize the prison system, at least in the US, serves two purposes. First, to serve as a source of cheap labor, essentially modern day slavery, since the 13th amendment allows slave labor as punishment for a 'crime'. Second and probably
Most important, the prison system serves as a means of removing and isolating threats to the capitalist bourgeois status quo. The whole drug war and arresting of minorities was a means of destabilizing predominantly black communities back in the 70s and 80s. The cia funneled crack and heroin into these communities that were prone to 'radicalization' (seeing capitalism for the sham it is). And to this day people are still suffering as a result. It's an absolute abomination what the US prison system is like, it's all about phony justice, no emphasis on rehabilitation.

Reactions: Mixo, OrcWitch, Lefty and 5 others
T

TooConscious

Enlightened
Sep 16, 2020
Well that's a problem with laws as opposed to prison itself, but, the prisons themselves are in a horrific state. Firstly, people making money from 'crime'. Whilst the sadistic elite get away with their sins of ruining people's lives and thrive from it.

In the UK prison is rife with corruption and bullying is typical.
Drugs are rife inside. Even actual knives get snuggled in as contraband.

They are allowing students to become 'screws' prison officers, and they re being easily manipulated, or even hard working people just get fed up of being unappreciated for less than £20,000 a year whilst a prisoner is 'polite' with them and offers them £5000 to Bring in a parcel.
The whole prison and justice system are fucked and I'm not intelligent enough to put it into words.

Reactions: Snake of Eden
Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
From what I gather, in the usa each convict cost the tax payers something like 50 thousand to 200 thousand dollars per inmate Since the moment they are caught until a conviction ,I am not going through which which race is more under scrutiny here on public. But all of you know Specially If it's a misdemeanour Unfortunately they have more chances of going into jail. I saw a 17 year old boy so scared because he was carrying just a bit of weed, couldn't pay bail. 3 years, that makes me so sad. I'm not talking about hard core criminals. I love the USA but their criminal justice even makes me afraid of carrying 1 Xanax and be caught. Tell me more about your countries. In the UK the first degree also I believe it doesn't go to life, it's around 30 years also. In that matter isn't fair and agree with the us for a first degree murder. In my country they even have TVs and DVD players on each cell. A lady here killed her 6 year dollar, and did something so graphic with the body that I don't wanna shock anyone. She has been free after 14 years from her 25 year sentence. Saint Quentin Jail and Rikers jail gives me the chills. And edit, in the USA since the moment we are arrested even for half a joint, they will put a bail of 5000 dollars like I've seen. They then need to call relatives to go to a bond job to get at least 10 per cent which is 500 dollars then some walk free awaiting trial. These bonding shops then charge 15% interest on the jail bond they have got, some have to put their houses as a guarantee.

This is really surreal

Mexico is even worse but I don't imagine someone in Mexico being arrested for half a joint. But I've seen also documentaries about Latin America, the conditions are def worse than most. Even the guards don't go in. The inmates are in charge. Each jail is over populated by 600% it's like a out of this world city inside a jail.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Insomniac and Capsicum_Corral
Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
It makes sense when you realize the prison system, at least in the US, serves two purposes. First, to serve as a source of cheap labor, essentially modern day slavery, since the 13th amendment allows slave labor as punishment for a 'crime'. Second and probably
Most important, the prison system serves as a means of removing and isolating threats to the capitalist bourgeois status quo. The whole drug war and arresting of minorities was a means of destabilizing predominantly black communities back in the 70s and 80s. The cia funneled crack and heroin into these communities that were prone to 'radicalization' (seeing capitalism for the sham it is). And to this day people are still suffering as a result. It's an absolute abomination what the US prison system is like, it's all about phony justice, no emphasis on rehabilitation.
Totally true what you said. It makes me sad to see a bit of injustice for minor things in the us. People lose their children, they can't find work cause their file is marked as inmate even for half a joint or whatever misdemeanour it is. But they can shoot unharmed people and it's all good. Gotta say Europe is a bit ahead when it comes to misdemeanour stuff. It's like I said, police would just politely ask you not to do that, that's it. And you walk one way and the cop the other way.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/amadou-diallo-kadiatou-protests-george-floyd-police/

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: WoAiGou, Snake of Eden and Insomniac
StarryStarry

StarryStarry

Cat Lady
Oct 25, 2021
I am a binge watcher of crime and related subjects documentaries, I am astonished that people get 3 years in jail in some states of cities for having half a joint in their cars for example. They are mixed with the general population. How do you feel in relation to your country, where I'm from, police can see you smoking a joint in the streets, even being illegal, all they say is, guys just throw that out, I pretend I didn't see it. I am not insulting the US by any means, would just like to hear some opinions about over populated jails, with a lot of misdemeanour cases. One thing I don't like about my country though is that a first degree murder gets only 25 years, that's it, only 25 years regardless on how horrific the Crime was. Which means they are free after 12 and a half years or so. Another situation 3 police kill a Afro American unarmed with 41 rounds of bullets. Walk off free after trial and are still at the police. I can understand true convict criminals convicted without a doubt. But because a half a joint possession and another previous charge similar to this in their file. It's surreal.
I can tell you after working for attorneys for over 20 years (criminal) that once the attorney is hired (if the client is incarcerated), he doesn't give a shit about the client. Most of the criminal attorneys get paid up front so once they have their money, you're screwed. I felt so bad for some of the clients they would call and the attorney would tell me to lie and tel them he was coming to see them (which he wasn't) or he wasn't there - this way when he did talk to them he would tell them that I never gave him the message so he would save his ass and throw mine under the bus. I feel so sorry for anyone who has to hire an attorney, especially if incarcerated.

• Informative
  • Hugs
Reactions: justsayin, Snake of Eden and Insomniac
Insomniac

Insomniac

𝔄 𝔲 𝔱 𝔦 𝔰 𝔪
May 21, 2021
Interesting topic.

Prison is indeed horrific, regardless where you're from. but some hells are worse than others. US prisons are kindergartens compared to the ones in my country.

I wonder what would happen if instead of focusing so much money on reparation, the systems focused on prevention instead.

I don't like the idea of my tax money going to prisons. Why would I want to support murderers? And why would I have to support a system that creates murderers? I'd rather have my money go to peaceful suicide activism, in all sincerity. That's one of the many reasons why I'm educating myself on legal ways of evading taxes.

Reactions: Snake of Eden
_Minsk

_Minsk

death: the cure for life
Dec 9, 2019
Thank you for posting this, this whole jail industry needs to be discussed more so people see how racist and cruel it is.

Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
Thank you sweet @_Minsk , didn't have much success though :) :heart:
I am Still watching these documentaries and surprised even more. It's good to be I formed. Many injustices.

• Love
Reactions: _Minsk