disconnection

disconnection

It's the blue hour again
Apr 24, 2020
So this is a huge part of the reason I want to CTB. I became homeless after an admission to a mental health unit, had broken up with my long term partner just before. Discharged to a hostel awaiting supported housing. Family thankfully stepped in so I didn't go. There was a vague chance I'd be able to return to work at that point but it didn't happen, too much time off sick and too unpredictable. If I hadn't come here I'd have been put in supported housing and have had to give up my job. Because that's the system. Where you can't work over 16 hours or the rent becomes unaffordable from benefits.

Now prior to last year I'd been studying full time for a year, then working full time for some 8 years, with no huge issues. Life crashed down and suddenly the system wanted to disincentivise me to actually get better? If I'm living somewhere I couldn't afford if I was working then how the hell am I supposed to find a job and move on? Without a job, how do I get another place privately? Getting PIP (disability benefit) is ridiculous, you have to be basically unable to do anything for yourself and its reviewed frequently so even if you do get it and can just about afford to live week to week then you're constantly in fear of it being taken away. That's exactly what happened to someone I knew who later killed himself. I knew earlier this year that I'd be following suit - I didn't actually expect it to take as long as it has. Without PIP you're left on £94 a week (was £74 before corona) unless you get the severe disability premium which is as difficult to get as PIP.

What the actual hell? How can it be so easy to fall into a poverty trap and so incredibly hard to dig your way out? Given the state of the world and the lack of enjoyment I tend to get anyway from living at the best of times, I'm not going to attempt recovery this time (did manage it just over a decade ago, hence the recent functionality) but my mental health has been steadily declining too even before I hit crisis point. But if I did want to I don't see how I'd be able to whatsoever if I wasn't able to lean on family for a bit? Policy makers come and talk to me!!!

Last edited:
  • Aww..
Reactions: Final Escape
F

Final Escape

I’ve been here too long
Jul 8, 2018
You're not imagining things. The system is corrupt and they want u to be dependent on the state. It is hard to get off disability and welfare because u have to live like the government dependency is not an option. They make it hard to avoid dependency especially if u are from the working class.

Reactions: disconnection
disconnection

disconnection

It's the blue hour again
Apr 24, 2020
You're not imagining things. The system is corrupt and they want u to be dependent on the state. It is hard to get off disability and welfare because u have to live like the government dependency is not an option. They make it hard to avoid dependency especially if u are from the working class.
Why on earth would they want you to be dependent on the state though? It totally goes against the tired mantra of 'better off in work'. Sure maybe so but if you can't GET into work because you need to keep a roof over your head then that's hardly helpful. And if you didn't have mental health problems before you sure would then!

Soulless_Angel

Soulless_Angel

existence is futile
Jul 10, 2019
Do you have any professionals involved, I got PIP for my mental health, had no meetings nothing, I simply applied, they spoke to professionals involved and I was rewarded within 4 months.
I don't get how they can expect someone to survive on £94 a week, I know they are trying to push people to work, but seriously? There is NO work and will be even less soon the way the country is going. Its seriously fucked up

disconnection

disconnection

It's the blue hour again
Apr 24, 2020
Do you have any professionals involved, I got PIP for my mental health, had no meetings nothing, I simply applied, they spoke to professionals involved and I was rewarded within 4 months.
I don't get how they can expect someone to survive on £94 a week, I know they are trying to push people to work, but seriously? There is NO work and will be even less soon the way the country is going. Its seriously fucked up
No, they're pissing me about because I moved area. The previous team were absolutely useless. Just found out I did actually get PIP so that's something but doesn't help my living situation. I have decided to go anyway now. Feeling quite peaceful and confident that it's the right decision for me. Don't really want to do it here though, seems a shitty thing to do to family who have been so kind. Shame hotels aren't open at the moment.

Soulless_Angel

Soulless_Angel

existence is futile
Jul 10, 2019
No, they're pissing me about because I moved area. The previous team were absolutely useless. Just found out I did actually get PIP so that's something but doesn't help my living situation. I have decided to go anyway now. Feeling quite peaceful and confident that it's the right decision for me. Don't really want to do it here though, seems a shitty thing to do to family who have been so kind. Shame hotels aren't open at the moment.

You should get a back pay for pip, I got a fair wack,

I am sorry to read though that you have decided the path you have chosen, I truely hope it is the right one for you.
When it comes to mental health services, I am in Cornwall, they are crap, but back then I struck lucky with the right team, sadly now they ain't interested at all,

F

Final Escape

I’ve been here too long
Jul 8, 2018
Why on earth would they want you to be dependent on the state though? It totally goes against the tired mantra of 'better off in work'. Sure maybe so but if you can't GET into work because you need to keep a roof over your head then that's hardly helpful. And if you didn't have mental health problems before you sure would then!
It makes money for the state to keep people in dependency. It doesn't make poor people much better off though. It gives politicians votes and power. State dependency ensures u will never rebel, bc u depend on the state for your livelihood.

disconnection

disconnection

It's the blue hour again
Apr 24, 2020
You should get a back pay for pip, I got a fair wack,

I am sorry to read though that you have decided the path you have chosen, I truely hope it is the right one for you.
When it comes to mental health services, I am in Cornwall, they are crap, but back then I struck lucky with the right team, sadly now they ain't interested at all,
Yeah I did get quite a bit of back pay - they took so long to process and do the assessment! Guess it'll help towards funeral costs, morbid I know..

Thank you very much. It is a bit sad but I always knew suicide would be the way I go since my teens. Surprised I lasted so long actually!
It makes money for the state to keep people in dependency. It doesn't make poor people much better off though. It gives politicians votes and power. State dependency ensures u will never rebel, bc u depend on the state for your livelihood.
Does it make money for the state though? Surely people contributing actively to the economy is better? I agree about keeping people powerless though. It makes suicide an act of rebellion, which I rather like.

Last edited: