Votes: 1 3.1%
  • other

Votes: 4 12.5%

• Total voters
Kasumi

Kasumi

tired
Mar 3, 2023
Obvious reasons aside such as censorship of certain topics (including removal of SaSu in some countries), Google search does pretty poorly when searching for things more specific than wikipedia articles.

Ever had a problem with a device and tried to google it?
You'll find 10 copy pasta sites listing "common solutions" such as "restart ur device, update, etc" before eventually maybe finding some random blog post describing ur actual problem.

You'll find better results on reddit or heck even tiktok, instagram & co.
Even for your everyday search queries you're better off using something like startpage.com (a private search engine using basically google search results requested from their servers so they can't be tied to you).
Another mentionable private search engine would be neeva.com and if you're searching for specific things try using search operators such as site:reddit.com to limit search results to the given site or ext:pdf to search only for pdf documents.

• Informative
Reactions: Pluto, redisblue, just_so_done and 1 other person
WorthlessTrash

WorthlessTrash

Worthless
Apr 19, 2022
I use google search because ask jeeves is dead.

• Yay!
Reactions: just_so_done
Valky

Valky

Petulant Child
Apr 4, 2023
My sister is like that too. Sometimes she asks me to google shit for her cause she is too incompetent (love you sis, lol).

It is very easy to find the necessary stuff if you know how to google correctly, that is. I don't know why so many people can't.

Though I gotta admit, specific things are just easier to look up on tiktok

Zelda-frog

Zelda-frog

:)
May 9, 2023
I use bing for the Microsoft rewards. I forget about it for a year and then all of a sudden I have a $5 gift card. It's not much but it makes me happy lol

iwanttobedead

iwanttobedead

depression is a losing battle
Feb 11, 2023
YEP. i've long gotten used to appending "reddit" to all my searches for faster results. especially with ai indexing, i sense google search is very soon to be passed. but then again i know nothing about that area of technology.. x3

F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I've never really had much of a problem with Google. I really don't like Bing though and I haven't tried many others.

Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
Presumably AI will improve the effectiveness of search engines to a new level. I have had the situation where it takes quite a while to actually find a genuine answer - even to common problems with Windows that would be asked by huge numbers of people.

Though as a senior citizen, I would add that in the early days, we had search engines which needed websites to be manually submitted to even be listed, and you didn't get away with the slightest misspelling while searching for the exact website or topic you were after.

And going back further, we needed to physically go to a library and start searching for books and reading through them. Oh boy!

chocolatebar

chocolatebar

Paragon
Jul 11, 2021
Presumably AI will improve the effectiveness of search engines to a new level. I have had the situation where it takes quite a while to actually find a genuine answer - even to common problems with Windows that would be asked by huge numbers of people.

Though as a senior citizen, I would add that in the early days, we had search engines which needed websites to be manually submitted to even be listed, and you didn't get away with the slightest misspelling while searching for the exact website or topic you were after.

And going back further, we needed to physically go to a library and start searching for books and reading through them. Oh boy!

I'm a bit skeptical of the benefits of AI-powered search engines. While they can help a lot in some contexts, I believe they can leave some things harder to reach, while pushing specific contents over people, especially when corporations add seo and ads to the algorithms,

Natural language processing is already making it harder to find specific contents, in my experience.

But well, let's see how it plays out.

Reactions: Skathon and Pluto
Kasumi

Kasumi

tired
Mar 3, 2023
I like the kind that give you normal search results but also a quick AI answer with sources linked, that way u get a quick summary when u just want that and still can see all original sources unfiltered.
Like what neeva AI did, sadly they're sjutting down in june.

Reactions: Pluto and chocolatebar