N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I discussed it with my friends today. I barely know anything about the situation. I know these people were rich and the whole thing costed a lot of money. I try to avoid media stories that waste my time. I think it is a good story for newsoutlets because the story sounds thrilling. The whole thing sounds like a movie plot. There are many films about such situations being locked in under water. The situation is of course very tragic and horrible for these people.

However I am kind of annoyed that this story gets so much attention. Only because it is related to the titanic and the people come from Western countries. Why is this story so omnipresent in the media? Does anyone profit of the coverage? There are so many international wars which are barely talked in the Western media but a fucking submarine with 5 people is worth myriads of hours of coverage?

We cannot really change the outcome. The people are searching for them. Whether all news outlet speculate on it is completely useless. There are so many things where our attention really could make a difference. This submarine story is certainly not one of them.

My friends are shocked how terrible such a fate is. I think due to the fact I am reading this forum everyday I am not that easily to be shocked. As scary this situation sounds for many especially for claustrophobic people - these people knew there is a risk involved. I think others called it a very dangerous idea. My friends insisted that 5 days are such a long and torturous time. I kind of disagree with that. It is probably a living hell for these people for sure. The time must feel like a decade or longer.

Though when I read about war crimes, very slow torture over months or years, when I read about the locked-in syndrome, people with brain damage and decades of torment without the ability to communicate 5 days does not sound that long to me anymore. It is probably very traumatizing for these people and maybe such a cold comparison is not very empathetic or friendly. But I am just not shocked about it. Maybe my lack of empathy is also influenced because I think stories like that distract our attention from really important questions. And I don't mean by that whether the the royals have a new tea party or why the German national soccer team sucks ass or similar questions.

Reactions: internetgirl, Lammpz, cgrtt.brns and 3 others
C

Crono

-
Jun 1, 2023
I personally feel that the bus has come for them, it's inevitable and nothing can be done. I think I would like to be in their place.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Message In A Bottle, Per Ardua Ad Astra, internetgirl and 3 others
Linda

Linda

Jul 30, 2020
I discussed it with my friends today. I barely know anything about the situation. I know these people were rich and the whole thing costed a lot of money. I try to avoid media stories that waste my time. I think it is a good story for newsoutlets because the story sounds thrilling. The whole thing sounds like a movie plot. There are many films about such situations being locked in under water. The situation is of course very tragic and horrible for these people.

However I am kind of annoyed that this story gets so much attention. Only because it is related to the titanic and the people come from Western countries. Why is this story so omnipresent in the media? Does anyone profit of the coverage? There are so many international wars which are barely talked in the Western media but a fucking submarine with 5 people is worth myriads of hours of coverage?

We cannot really change the outcome. The people are searching for them. Whether all news outlet speculate on it is completely useless. There are so many things where our attention really could make a difference. This submarine story is certainly not one of them.

My friends are shocked how terrible such a fate is. I think due to the fact I am reading this forum everyday I am not that easily to be shocked. As scary this situation sounds for many especially for claustrophobic people - these people knew there is a risk involved. I think others called it a very dangerous idea. My friends insisted that 5 days are such a long and torturous time. I kind of disagree with that. It is probably a living hell for these people for sure. The time must feel like a decade or longer.

Though when I read about war crimes, very slow torture over months or years, when I read about the locked-in syndrome, people with brain damage and decades of torment without the ability to communicate 5 days does not sound that long to me anymore. It is probably very traumatizing for these people and maybe such a cold comparison is not very empathetic or friendly. But I am just not shocked about it. Maybe my lack of empathy is also influenced because I think stories like that distract our attention from really important questions. And I don't mean by that whether the the royals have a new tea party or why the German national soccer team sucks ass or similar questions.
I think it's in the news simply because it's unusual. Aboout 120 people die every day in the US in road traffic accidents, but it's not newsworthy simply because it's so routine.

Reactions: Message In A Bottle, Skathon, Lammpz and 1 other person
OceanBlue

OceanBlue

Feminist
Jun 13, 2021
A horrific end, being trapped unexpectedly with oxygen running out, SN death compared to that is heavenly. However, how much they paid for it is so arrogant.. so many people are barely scraping by, they could share the wealth around, instead they choose to do this. Won't shed any tears over these passengers for sure.

• Hugs
Reactions: Skathon, cicadafriend, Lammpz and 2 others
not-2-b-the-answer

not-2-b-the-answer

Archangel
Mar 23, 2018
I have mixed feelings about it. I don't think there should be tours to visit the titanic anyway. Even if I had the money, I still wouldn't do it. I feel it should be left alone.
Diving for archeological purposes is a little different. If they can give artifacts to their descendents or a museum, maybe.
I think the dead should be allowed to rest in peace. I doubt there are any bones left, but it should still be respected.
I don't want to see those people die but I'm sure they were aware of the risks. I don't know who they are or what kind people they are. If they are rich assholes, you can bet they wouldn't shed a tear if it was common people who are in this situation.
I don't know, maybe they are nice.
I'm fine with watching documentaries and they do the diving. I think another sub crashed into it a few years ago.
I guess they came back ok.

• Hugs
Reactions: Per Ardua Ad Astra, cgrtt.brns and Crono
OceanBlue

OceanBlue

Feminist
Jun 13, 2021
Reactions: Message In A Bottle, StolenLife, Per Ardua Ad Astra and 1 other person
Csmith8827

Csmith8827

Don't you listen to your heart? (Listen to it...)
Oct 26, 2019
All I know is... TIME IS RUNNING OUT...

• Aww..
Reactions: 12_Years_Late and not-2-b-the-answer
12_Years_Late

12_Years_Late

“May it please you.” — Ben Pollack
Jun 19, 2023
It appears that this was their destiny in life, to go on a final mission together to find out what the afterlife is like. They could have thought and considered the risks months beforehand, but the five people decided to go ahead anyway.

At least at this point they appear to certainly headed for death. I hope their final hours alive are worthy ones.

• Hugs
Reactions: Crono, Per Ardua Ad Astra and not-2-b-the-answer
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I hate to say it but I think it would be a miracle if they are able to save them from what we've heard. It seems like even finding them in time is incredibly difficult. It didn't really make sense to me till I started hearing about just HOW difficult things become at those depths.

Yeah- really terrible to say but- if the chances of rescuing them- EVEN if they do find them are as small as they say- you've got to wonder if catastrophic failure/ implosion would have been kinder- not that we know. That would have been instant. I can't think of much worse than waiting in a cramped tube to die. I don't think you can help but imagine how that might feel and how awful the families must be feeling.

I'm sure there are people going through worse things right now though- you're right- and we'll never hear about them. The media is like that though- some cases become global news, some barely make it into local news. Just look at how missing people are reported on. There's the 'Missing White Woman Syndrome.' I'm guessing with this though- it's maybe partly because it's the Titanic. I think it would still make global news if it was a different wreck but people are obsessed with the Titanic.

I've got mixed feelings really. I think we all have this tendency to hate the rich. Maybe jealousy. Maybe we just assume they have gotten that rich from either just being handed it- or, exploiting the poor. I don't know with these people. Plus- people always moan that the money would do so much for charity. Do we KNOW that they don't donate to charity? Sure- it's different- they have more disposable income but- what are the chances that a larger proportion of their wealth goes to charity as opposed to other people? Again- I don't know but I think so many people just assume they're arseholes- because they have money.

As for what they're doing. It's tough. I do really respect people for saying it's a graveyard and should be left in peace. I have a fascination for it too though. I guess I have a grim fascination for a lot of major disasters- like Chernobyl. I know it's not healthy. Plus- urbex fascinates me. I guess in a way- a lot of this earth is a graveyard. Still- yeah- when SO many people lost their lives in such a horrific way- we should have more respect. Like someone else has said- archeology is one thing, tourism is another.

It is pretty shocking to be honest that a company like that is allowed to run something so unregulated and that people would trust their lives in it. That said- I think this is it's 3rd trip down to the Titanic and it had completed something like 50 test dives.

It's awful though and while I understand the frustration at the news outlets over what they prioritise- it's still horrific on a human level.

• Love
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer, PrisonBreak and 12_Years_Late
12_Years_Late

12_Years_Late

“May it please you.” — Ben Pollack
Jun 19, 2023
Looks as if the Titan's oxygen supply is running out at the moment. Therefore there will be no "grand rescue" of the crew that everyone has been expecting.

Since the five people inside the capsule acted like children in thinking ahead of this trip and are most likely gone, they will now be forced to watch this for all eternity:

• Hugs
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer
CTB Dream

CTB Dream

Injury damage disabl hard talk no argu make fun et
Sep 17, 2022
Ppl think prblm way think each objct x, truth this lif all wrong all awfl still no mttr wat ppl say bio orgnm no good exst this bio cell etc make pain sffr mechn no mttr prsn. Vry awfl lif vry awfl specie need all disapre

• Love
  • Aww..
Reactions: PrisonBreak and not-2-b-the-answer
jonghyun

jonghyun

trying to do well
May 6, 2023
For anyone whos keeping updated, they confirmed it imploded pretty quick on the 18th. So basically they were vaporised before they even realised what was happening. No pain no panic, just one second you're there and the next second you're gone. So all things considered not a bad way to go. Way better than the slow psychological torture of sitting on the ocean floor in complete dark + cold + lack of food and water in that cramped space slowly feeling the air getting harder to breathe..

• Hugs
Reactions: NumbItAll, 12_Years_Late, PrisonBreak and 2 others