N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
This is not a political thread I just use it as an example because someone showed me the following. Please no debate about politics in this thread.
Recently a friend of mine asked me whether I could sign an online petition. I was very sceptical I don't want to sign anything publicly on the internet with my real full name. But the reason for this petition seemed like a joke for me.

The petition had the goal to persuade some German politicians to negogiate in order that the kidnapped Israelis get freed.
I really was confused whether my friend really meant this serious. Why are people initiating such useless petitions? The German politicians already want to negogiate. There is no real purpose in this petition. The Hamas won't give a fuck not even if 100k Germans signed it. It could be even counterproductive the high pressure on negotiators.

For me it seems like virtue signaling. We are so touched by their fates. We would do anything even signing a useless petition which took us 5 minutes. It is similar to some activists on X (former Twitter). There are probably a lot petitions with similar value. But maybe I am too cynical.

I have the feeling these people care more about their own sense of justice and being seen as virtuous than to actually help.
Sending the people in the region resources would be something good. Probably donating blood.

All the conflicts which barely get attention by the media could profit from petitions. They need attention from the public and politicians. Instead the conflict between Israel and Palestine is already omnipresent and there is just no benefit in this "attempt to help".

What do you think? If this thread becomes too political feel free to move it to the other sub-forum. As I said the topic of the thread is not the conflict rather the motives of people who sign such petiition and whether ANYONE beneftis from them.

• Love
Reactions: WretchedDreams
CuerpoMuerto

CuerpoMuerto

BRB, Looking up LD50 of My Meds
Aug 21, 2023
I agree with online petitions being mostly a joke, especially when it comes to large scale events/issues. Its virtue signalling at its core, imo. That or you're niave.

Similarly off topic, but similar train of thought, Im currently in University partially running our student senate. People will come up with legislation to condemn wars. They are always largely supported, meanwhile I have to bite my tounge to not look like an asshole. Does Russia really give a shit that some random public University does not like the war? No, it doesn't.

Reactions: avoid, carac and WretchedDreams
NumbItAll

NumbItAll

expendable
May 20, 2018
Online petitions are just a way to sign up for more pointless email lists.

Reactions: noname223