N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
It would be easy and probably popular to make fun of that notion. Some people have such an approach to their mental illness. It is probably more healthy than the self-loathing my illness causes in my mind. In some sense one can be envious for not having such a self-love for oneself. Honestly I don't want to ridicule anyone who consideres their mental illness a superpower but for me it feels utterly bizarre. Moreover the people I met who genuinely thought that their illness was some sort of a superpower were either psychotic or manic. As someone who experienced that I can say I really thought my illness would be amazing, it would increase stamina, power-levels etc. Though when you crash into deep depression and see through how the game really works you rather think of your illness as curse. This is what happened to me.

I searched for mental illness and superpower on the internet. I was too lazy to read the whole articles but they gave Kanye West (bipolar) as a positive example. The article was written in 2020 though.

There were two things that initiated my thoughts on this topic. A person in this forum who I considered pretty interesting and a potentially a cool guy explained self-hatred caused inter alia due to autism. I have a friend in real life with autism. He is not really that cool but I can have good conversations with him. Asperger or autism can come along with special interests and high intelligence. A therapist once suspected I had asperger or autism. I still forget sometimes what the difference is. I probably do not have that disorder. It is true I have an intense love for politics but my social skills are too high for it. This is at least what other professionals told me. The truth probably was the time without antipsychotics temporarily damaged my sanity and social skills. This is why I acted weird.

I think it is probably a good and positive framing to look at the positive things in your life. It sounds insane but even the most horrifying conditions can have some slight positive side effects. I think I am more self-aware since my illnesses destroyed my life. I think I have more empathy for vulnerable people. My illness caused processes of self-reflection. Of course the illness is not worth it. And there are way less painful ways to learn such a lesson. To think in such a way can make you feel more comfortable with you inner self. Maybe it is a way to find inner peace for some people.

However personally I cannot think of my mind as superpower. It sounds pathological. I don't want to ruin that concept for anyone. But I can say at the least the people I met who had such a notion of their illness where how I can I put it in a friendly way.....clinically insane.

I already elaborated on them. There was a drug dealer in the clinic for psychosis who proudly claimed to be an antisemite and considered his psychosis as superpower. I wish I could say more positive about the people I met with this way of thinking. But most of them seemed to be pretty delusional or very ignorant. I mean ignorance can be a bliss. I have an acquaintance. I have less contact with him because some of his statements were very disgusting. He worships IQ. He has asperger syndrome. And he has better life quality because of his positive notion of his illness. Me instead I am very self-loathing. Though we both seem to quite insular. He is not delusional but very ignorant. I think one guy he likes called his asperger a superpower because it allegedly increases his IQ. So if you worship intelligence and think your illness has increased your IQ that is probably a very positive step to accept your illness. However he is in other relations very ignorant. He insults unemployed people and he himself has no job and is not looking for one. He calls leftwingers mentally ill. He calls people with a different sexual orientation mentally ill etc.
I mean if you look down at people all the time and suck of yourself without a break...if this makes you feel better? I still would not recommend it. I think he is pretty harmless because he is not harrassing people. But he seems to be very ignorant and not self-aware at all.

As I said I wish I could give better examples of people who considered their illness as superpower. I just insert a link to two articles I skimmed through to give you another perspective.

I agree with the second one more. It says this framing of mental illness as superpower underestimates the dangers that can come along with it. Like dangerous psychosis or manic episodes which ruin you financially, healt-wise, personal life etc.

When I was not fully aware about the consequences of my illness I also sometimes had similar thoughts. Not exactly superpower (because I consider that magical thinking) but sometimes that the illness strengthens me (like the abuse). However when I fully understood the associated pain and horrible effects of my illness I rather considered it as cyncial to call it a superpower. Maybe a little bit insulting because it is such a euphemism. Though if it works for other people I don't want to ruin it for them. It would be just dishonest to give you another take on it. Because these are my honest feelings.

In the clinic where I was the therapists also tried to ease my shame with comparisons to famous mentally ill people. The first one was John Nash (A beautiful mind.) For the people who were less self-aware, clinically insane (it is just the truth) this notion was easier to accept and some internalized it very fast. So maybe congitive skills can worsen your mood and life quality because it can reinforce negative feelings and thought loops. For the others it was easier to accept such a simplistic notion of reality. Maybe logic is not always equivalent to truth. Or at least not to happpiness.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Kundalini Guy, New_SweetieUltraPIE, Givenuponlife and 3 others
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
It's an interesting idea. Actually- funnily enough- I watched the 2016 film 'Split' recently which was about this. The main protagonist had dissociative identity disorder and had 24 alters with varying strengths. Pretty disturbing film to be honest but interesting- mind over matter type thing. Are we really just who we believe we are?

I always found that the dyslexic students on my course had that something special about them artistically. I think quite often- if we are challenged in some ways- we have more strength in others.

With regards to mental illness though- I have no idea. I imagine you would need to ask someone who had experienced an onset of an illness but could remember what they were like before it. Surely only they would know whether their 'illness' had given them an edge? How can we know what it's like to be them and how can they know what it's like to be us?

• Love
Reactions: Amelie and katagiri83
TransilvanianHunger

TransilvanianHunger

Grave with a view...
Jan 22, 2023
I think the notion of mental illness as a "superpower" is, on the whole, a coping mechanism. A way to reclaim some of the agency that illness can take away from people, turning it into a positive to alleviate or negate the negatives associated with it.

On the whole, I think that allowing people to reclaim agency and not be defined by their illness is a good thing. The stigmatisation of mental illness can, in some cases, do way more damage to a person than the illness itself. That being said, I'd be wary about fully buying into the "superpower" narrative as it can veer off into more negative patterns of thought and behaviour—thinking that one is "better off" in some way because of their illness.

I think there is a middle ground somewhere, where a person doesn't let their illness define them, while still acknowledging the negative side of it and, ideally, working to minimise or deal with the effects.

Reactions: emptyshell, LoiteringClouds, Doctors HATE them and 1 other person
card1nal

card1nal

trying to find peace by whatever means possible :)
Jan 23, 2023
I've seen a lot of the "mental illness is a superpower" talk coming from people who have never experienced the illnesses they are talking about. I hate how people perpetuate this idea that mental illness is somehow a superpower because of a few perceived "perks" while ignoring the more negative symptoms. Yes, during my psychotic episodes I was more creative, and my art, while not very cohesive, reached much deeper than any of my previous works. Looking back, I do find it cool how my mental illness affected my artwork, but I was still suffering.

I almost CTB during my first episode because I believed I was sacrificing my body to a higher being. Psychosis is not a superpower, despite how often I see (mostly teenagers) romanticizing its symptoms. I completely understand people who are suffering from some mental health issue wanting to feel like something good has come out of it, but to hear people who are unaffected attempting to paint this picture of the suffering yet beautiful artist feels gross. Especially since, these people, are often depicted as conventionally attractive and functional. Once someone who isn't conventionally attractive shares their mental health struggles, suddenly the public doesn't want to romanticize them. Same for if someone is unable to function properly because of their mental health issues.

• Hugs
Reactions: emptyshell and LoiteringClouds
CTBookOfLife

CTBookOfLife

ᴶᵘˢᵗ ᵃ ˢʰᵉˡˡ ᵒᶠ ᵃ ᵇᵒᵈʸ ʷⁱᵗʰ ᵐᵃⁿʸ ᵐⁱⁿᵈˢ
Aug 5, 2023
It's an interesting idea. Actually- funnily enough- I watched the 2016 film 'Split' recently which was about this. The main protagonist had dissociative identity disorder and had 24 alters with varying strengths. Pretty disturbing film to be honest but interesting- mind over matter type thing. Are we really just who we believe we are?
Sorry to quote an old post. Split is very inaccurate—I'm sure you know that—but DID itself has things that are amazing feats of the brain.

Alters have been recorded to have different heart-rates, blood pressures, disabilities, and even allergies (though the study noted that said allergy went away with trauma therapy: they gave an example of an alter who had severe coughing attacks around tobacco smoke. Said alter later "healed" from that when they processed the trauma caused by their smoker father).

DID itself is a superpower in a way—but more akin to the type the hero gets from a horric accident. Organically created DID is quite literally the brain's survival mechanism, the last resort of a helpless child. It saves people, and kills them as well.

• Informative
  • Hugs
Reactions: LoiteringClouds and Forever Sleep
LoiteringClouds

LoiteringClouds

Tempus fugit
Feb 7, 2023
I've been diagnosed with bipolar,
But it won't make me a superstar.
I don't have any superpower,
But this notion is what I devour.

I'm plagued by overconfidence,
And hefty occasional expense.
But I have no marketable skill -
I'm just plain strange and mentally ill.

But I can connect to people here.
I'm no longer paralysed by fear.
I found a place where I can flower -
So I might have a superpower!

This might be my superpower.
It's not about the poem, but about my audacity and overconfidence because of my bipolar. I have these qualities, which enable me to post my poems here, and sometimes, connect to people.
And I want to think I have something to offer because of my struggle - so I subscribe to this idea, at least in my case. I don't push this idea to anybody though.

Everybody's mental illness is different, so I speak about mine here.
I have a mild case of bipolar II. Before I developed it, I was a very shy person and paralysed by fear of rejection, but during hypomanic episodes, I was much more outgoing and didn't care much about rejection, so it worked as a kind of exposure therapy. I became much more outgoing, confident and audacious than before, even though I haven't go hypomanic in this 5 years, thanks to the treatment.

But it came with a huge price - I don't know whether bipolar is to blame, but I lost all programming skills and the career as a software developer. I no longer have mental capacity which is required to develop software. I can't handle complexity of software anymore - my brain has been basically fried in antidepressants and the surge of dopamine I guess.
And audacity shocks people, if left unchecked, especially on the forum which deals with sensitive topics like suicide.

I'm very cautious when this idea is mentioned - because by definition mental illness interferes people's lives, but not everybody has "superpowers."
In my case, sometimes I'm fearless and open to criticism - some people might laugh at me but I don't hurt - and, when my fearlessness comes with great sensitivity, it can be my superpower I think.

• Hugs
Reactions: noname223
FadingSunshine

FadingSunshine

Nothing lasts forever.
Jul 8, 2023
I think of my depression as my superpower but also my downfall.
The pro of my depression: I don't care about anything that happens to me, so if things don't go my way or someone judges me it really doesn't matter to me.
The con of my depression: I don't care about anything. That means no ambition, no emotion, no excitement. Doesn't leave much to live for, but I keep going.

• Hugs
Reactions: LoiteringClouds
Amelie

Amelie

Aug 12, 2023

I always found that the dyslexic students on my course had that something special about them artistically. I think quite often- if we are challenged in some ways- we have more strength in others.

With regards to mental illness though- I have no idea. I imagine you would need to ask someone who had experienced an onset of an illness but could remember what they were like before it. Surely only they would know whether their 'illness' had given them an edge? How can we know what it's like to be them and how can they know what it's like to be us?
I fucking love that film! Mainly because the guy didn't kill the girl because she had scars from self harm and was 'different from the rest' .. had suffered and survived etc. That portrayal of someone with SH scars was positive and empowering in my opinion.

• Hugs
Reactions: Forever Sleep