H

[HNO]

Experienced
Aug 21, 2022
just 15-30 minutes ago i lit charcoals and brought them in an adjacent accommodation to my home and measured the gas PPM by CO meter. but seems i lit charcoals improperly and during burning they gave a lot of smoke, i put a lot of toilet paper at bottom of metal bucket and spread it evenly, then on top of it i put the carton core of it infused in sunflower oil with paper towel inserted in the middle. after i put on fire this all it gave rather moderate flame (i think it's because the paper at bottom tampered too dense) but anyway i dropped coals in it. the coals don't burned as i expected and flame was about to extinguish so i dropped in hearth all combustible materials at hand haphazardly until they finally turned ash grey and glowed but still gave a little flame. then i brought them in the building and measured CO, in span of 3-4 minutes it rose to 150ppm but it were the case only around glowing hearth, overall the room sections distant from the hearth had around 50ppm. all time i stood around glowing coals and being around them was very uncomfortable as smoke irritated eyes and lungs. i stopped testing after i've noticed that my cat slept in the room next to place where i tested the CO method lol
so i've a question:
1)is there a way to light coals with less smoke as possible?
this question has nuances as geometry of vessel for burning (vent holes, form etc), materials used for burning because i brought in flames carton which was mistake as it gives a lot of smoke and timing. so i hope someone who had empirical experience with it can give clarification or sth

Last edited:
S

Someone123

Illuminated
Oct 19, 2021
I've read a few posts that say you have to let the coals burn outside for a while until no smoke is coming off, and then you bring them indoors- that's one of the tricky parts of this method, how can you so this so that no one sees you doing this? If you have your own house and yard this could be ok. But my understanding of this method is that if the coals arer smoking at all when you bring them indoors the smoke becomes too irritating and it doesn't work. You may want to look at the charcoal megathread for more information on this method. Also this method seems to need a really small space that has no ventilation, like a car or a small bathroom where the vents are sealed. You should not do this in a building you share with others, that could result in criminal charges for endangering others potentially. I have seen at least one case in the news where this did work in a car.

Following is the charcoal megathread, which has 56 pages of posts on this method:

https://sanctioned-suicide.net/threads/carbon-monoxide-megathread.2053/

Last edited:
Reactions: [HNO]
H

HerculePoirot

(Frozen account)
Sep 25, 2022
Alcohol.

Reactions: [HNO]
L

lifeORdeath

Student
Oct 11, 2022
Are you using a chimney starter?

S

Someone123

Illuminated
Oct 19, 2021
No matter what you use to start it you need to make sure it is not smoking at all before you bring it indoors.