FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
Because it would prevent so much unnecessary suffering, and I see it as the most important human right to be able to escape from this hellish and harmful existence in peace. It really is terrifying how there is no limit as to how much one can be tormented as long as they exist, so allowing people a release from the curse that is existence without struggle could only ever be compassionate.
I could only ever see ceasing to exist as a positive thing as one cannot suffer when they don't exist, they are peacefully unaware which is perfection to me.

Existence will always be pointless, unnecessary and undesirable, so therefore the pro-life view repulses me, I'm repulsed by the views they hold that people must continue to suffer no matter what, it's such a cruel and horrible view.

The fact that we cannot easily free themselves from this existence in peace just proves that humans are the worst species, the right to die is only compassionate, those who are against the permanent relief from suffering lack any compassion.

Reactions: experimentee, rebdomine, Hollowman and 10 others
YEAR2050

YEAR2050

All goes to waste.
Apr 8, 2023
no one alive today gave their permission to be born, so (to me at least) its a NO BRAINER that you should have the option to die. its a basic human right.

it really is a shame that society teaches us from a young age to fear death, since it leads to taboos about e.g. assisted suicide available to anyone above the age of, let's say, 18. if you can vote, get permanent modifications done to your body, drive a car, etc. then you can certainly also choose whether or not you want to die.

Reactions: MyExistenceMyChoice, Hollowman, Cloud Busting and 2 others
near_amour

near_amour

Alone and immortal, nothing needed Him.
Oct 1, 2023
"Nature proceeds by blunders; that is its way. It is also ours. So if we have blundered by regarding consciousness as a blunder, why make a fuss over it? Our self-removal from this planet would still be a magnificent move, a feat so luminous it would bedim the sun. What do we have to lose? No evil would attend our departure from this world, and the many evils we have known would go extinct along with us. So why put off what would be the most laudable masterstroke of our existence, and the only one?"
- Thomas Ligotti

I

IBM0000

Oct 10, 2023
Because it would prevent so much unnecessary suffering, and I see it as the most important human right to be able to escape from this hellish and harmful existence in peace. It really is terrifying how there is no limit as to how much one can be tormented as long as they exist, so allowing people a release from the curse that is existence without struggle could only ever be compassionate.
I could only ever see ceasing to exist as a positive thing as one cannot suffer when they don't exist, they are peacefully unaware which is perfection to me.

Existence will always be pointless, unnecessary and undesirable, so therefore the pro-life view repulses me, I'm repulsed by the views they hold that people must continue to suffer no matter what, it's such a cruel and horrible view.

The fact that we cannot easily free themselves from this existence in peace just proves that humans are the worst species, the right to die is only compassionate, those who are against the permanent relief from suffering lack any compassion.
Policy-wise, assisted suicide would free up hospital resources, result in a slightly lowering of population and PISS PRO-LIFERS off regardless if it was an on-demand service or for patients who are in a lot of pain and whom have no chance to live. I like this website because it's achieved all of these goals albeit on a smaller scale then legalizing assisted suicide. It's like a preview of how good we can end people's lives.

carnivalforone

carnivalforone

Experienced
Sep 29, 2023
id want simply the choice to choose if you want to be born at all. given circumstances, given the knowledge of what a life on earth entails and then taking the risk of if you even want to go through with it. ive seen my entire life as a waste of time just wish it didnt happen in the first place, had i known the luck id be dealt i would have refused it in a heartbeat. i just wish someone who has always wished for life could have had it instead of the waste that mine has been

• Aww..
Reactions: undecided
letpour

letpour

Sep 15, 2023
It really is just awful, the world is such a rotten place, how you're sent here without an easy option to leave peacefully. And I hate how everyone else in this world has the choice to wrong you, how you can die because of someone else, how you sometimes might not even decide how you want to die, it even happens to people don't want to die at all.
It's so disgusting and I hate being part of it.

Reactions: MyExistenceMyChoice
Cress

Cress

Arcanist
Oct 15, 2023

I think it's just like any other philosophical or ethical idea that's come up since humanity has existed Just need to have the conversation and change hearts and minds. Just like slavery is unethical it's also pretty unethical to leave someone with a Chronic condition to slowly die because Society doesn't have the heart to give them away out.

Canada is one of the few places where CTB Is at least somewhat acceptable But from what I've heard they've started to rollback regulations on it. In most places they actively want to close down conversation about this and dogmatically explain that life is always the choice. However if there was never a second option then it was never really a choice?

The fact that you can never ask someone for their consent before bringing them into existence will always and forever be a philosophical issue Of which I think the only answer will be Allowing people official CTB options If they decide to revoke consent On the life that you never asked them if they wanted to have in the first place.

Pretty far off from The majority of people realizing this though.

Abandoned Character

Abandoned Character

(he./him)
Mar 24, 2023

I agree with this line of thinking, but I don't have it fleshed out in my head. What age is appropiate to provide this peaceful exit to an individual that wishes to go, no questions asked? You say all humans, but I think it is naive and cruel to give quick exit access to a toddler having a tantrum, who proclaims "I want to die."

And logistically, it doesn't really make any sense to give all humans access. I suppose in an ideal scenario one would be able to go to a clinic and enter a pod of some sort (emphasis on "peaceful exit"), but who pays for that? With socialized healthcare it's possible, but I can't help but think about the economic upheaval such a thing would cause. Honestly a very interesting thought experiment, I wonder if there is a short story out there of some sort of utopia where this scenario is realized? I'd expect most of the working class would off themselves honestly, and the elite class would be stumbling to try to maintain some semblance of power with a bottom line that is literally killing itself.

GreenMarsh

GreenMarsh

Oct 17, 2023

I'd like to quote a youtuber who I cannot recall the name of, but they said something along the lines of this:

"If one has the right to live, if must also dictate that they have the right to die. Much like how a right to free speech prevents anyone from FORCING you what to say, a right to live should prevent anyone from FORCING you to live"

This sentiment perfectly encapsulates my philosiphy. I wish it was more optically sound to get across, but alas

U

undecided

Experienced
Aug 25, 2023

But everyone DOES "...have the option of a peaceful exit..." You just have to beat your SI !!
I doubt ANY method is peaceful. Unless you're drugged up to the eyeballs, but even then, before you're drugged up, there'd be FEAR of what comes next, after death.
Do you really think that every single person who exclaims "I want to die" should be handed a 'peaceful pill'?

Anyone who really wants to die, they'll find a way. If their life is really that bad, they'll find a way, without having to rely on others pampering them with kind words, and supplying them with an injection that will allow them to fall asleep forever. It's just madness to even suggest that !!
Honestly, I despair, I really do !

NeedAnEscape

NeedAnEscape

awaiting the end
Oct 16, 2023
But everyone DOES "...have the option of a peaceful exit..." You just have to beat your SI !!
I doubt ANY method is peaceful. Unless you're drugged up to the eyeballs, but even then, before you're drugged up, there'd be FEAR of what comes next, after death.
Do you really think that every single person who exclaims "I want to die" should be handed a 'peaceful pill'?

Anyone who really wants to die, they'll find a way. If their life is really that bad, they'll find a way, without having to rely on others pampering them with kind words, and supplying them with an injection that will allow them to fall asleep forever. It's just madness to even suggest that !!
Honestly, I despair, I really do !
Even if someone truly wants to die, and they take the steps to do so, there's still a risk of complications. A person could be discovered in the middle of their attempt, the attempt could've gone badly, etc... Someone could have tried their absolute hardest to die, taking into account the variables, but there's still the chance they will wake up again. Worse yet, that person could survive with complications that makes their life even harder than before. It doesn't mean they 'didn't try hard enough.'

U

undecided

Experienced
Aug 25, 2023
Even if someone truly wants to die, and they take the steps to do so, there's still a risk of complications. A person could be discovered in the middle of their attempt, the attempt could've gone badly, etc... Someone could have tried their absolute hardest to die, taking into account the variables, but there's still the chance they will wake up again. Worse yet, that person could survive with complications that makes their life even harder than before. It doesn't mean they 'didn't try hard enough.'
Equally, there are people who are impulsive and THINK they want to die, in the moment. OP is suggesting that everyone who is suicidal should be given the choice of a peaceful death! It's just ridiculous to even suggest that.

NeedAnEscape

NeedAnEscape

awaiting the end
Oct 16, 2023
Equally, there are people who are impulsive and THINK they want to die, in the moment. OP is suggesting that everyone who is suicidal should be given the choice of a peaceful death! It's just ridiculous to even suggest that.
That's true. There are people that do not genuinely want to die, but they want their struggles to be recognized, so they may act recklessly. (I'm not claiming that anyone on this forum is behaving in that way, but I have seen this experience first-hand in my personal life.) Suicide is not a decision to taken lightly. Medically-assisted suicide has the additional complication of involving another person in one's death. While I wish there could be a more peaceful exit for people going through the depths of despair, it's very difficult for me to reason with any form of suicide involving more than one individual. Perhaps, there's a reason for why suicide is so difficult. The individual has to truly want to end their existence to achieve such a fate.