Smellanie

Smellanie

Feb 28, 2019
Dunno what to title this thread. But ya this was a really interesting video I thought some here would enjoy. Its about a german philosopher who was extremely pessimistic and in according to his own views, took his life. The part where he explains how in humans good things are never as strongly felt as bad things was so true. You feel nothing when you are healthy, it's just a neutral state, but even slight things like stubbing your toe is an intense feeling of pain.

• Love
Reactions: Hennessy, Arvinneedstodie, pthnrdnojvsc and 4 others
Stavrogin

Stavrogin

If God not be, then this world dies with me
Jul 1, 2020
I knew of Mainlander before I'd watched this video, but I just saw this yesterday myself. I wish there was a complete and printed English translation of The Philosophy of Redemption available.

Reactions: Smellanie and pthnrdnojvsc
rhiino

rhiino

Arcanist
May 13, 2020
That is true, feeling good, being happy is more of a neutral state while negative feelings are not the opposite but weigh far heavier. When you think of how humans evolved this makes perfect sense. The people that survived weren't the ones that were so happy that they did not feel the urge to collect food or hunt, build shelter or look why this body part hurts etc. It were the ones that permanently felt negative feelings that drove them to do stuff to survive.

Reactions: pthnrdnojvsc and Stavrogin
T

TimeToBiteTheDust

Visionary
Nov 7, 2019
I love Mainlanders' philosophy <3 "It would be better if we weren't alive"

Reactions: pthnrdnojvsc
Zappfe lover

Zappfe lover

Experienced
Jun 24, 2020
If you enjoy Mainlander, I would recommend reading "The Conspiracy Against the Human Race" by Thomas Ligotti. It's the best book about depressive realism.

• Love
Reactions: Smellanie, Stavrogin and pthnrdnojvsc
pthnrdnojvsc

pthnrdnojvsc

Extreme Pain is much worse than people know
Aug 12, 2019
I knew of Mainlander before I'd watched this video, but I just saw this yesterday myself. I wish there was a complete and printed English translation of The Philosophy of Redemption available.
This link Looks like it might be The Philosophy of Redemption in EngLish. I'm downLoading it now and will try to read tomorow to see if it is good .Tired now.

• Love
Reactions: Zappfe lover and Stavrogin
Stavrogin

Stavrogin

If God not be, then this world dies with me
Jul 1, 2020
Reactions: bored and pthnrdnojvsc