PrawnCocktail

PrawnCocktail

Pro-mortalist
Sep 21, 2021
I feel like the more I know someone, the less their compliments mean to me. I can never trust that someone close to me is being genuine; they might feel like they have to say something nice about me so as not to upset me. Anyone feel the same?

Reactions: shush
Tackingintothewind

Tackingintothewind

Mage
Mar 2, 2021
You're in the uk so not really. I know when I find someone particularly bad at their job I will "compliment" them. We as a nation are very polite and passive agressive so I always find a compliment from a stranger hard to believe. On the other hand I find it much easier to read the people I know to tell if it is true or not. People I'm close to I can trust to tell me the truth regardless of my feelings.

toseeyousmile

toseeyousmile

Nov 23, 2020
I think it depends on the person tbh, I joke around a lot with my friends and am pretty much like never serious and pretty toxic towards them(in a funny way) so when I am serious and give a compliment it's usually genuine. Same goes with my friends that are similar to me as well, matter a fact I think that the more you know somebody the more you should be able to detect if whether or not they say is genuine or them just trying to be nice.