freedompass

freedompass

Warlock
Jan 27, 2021
I watch true crime. It is very clear that so many of us (if not all) are fascinated by depravity. The more unnatural, aberrant and monstrous the individual criminal, the better we seem to like it. Many of them become pretty much household names. Some quite literally go down in history. They are unfailing talking points and we just can't get enough of them. Some are pretty much icons, we love to hate them. Does this not pretty much encourage heinous violence, torture murders and despicable sadism?

Some may be playing a long game knowing they will have a limited run of serial killing followed by an extended holiday from all responsibility in prison. Not my idea of a good time but many seem to thrive in there. If not, they receive a ton of fan mail, women who fall at their feet and the satisfaction of knowing their name will not be forgotten. For a certain type of personality who has little to lose and craves attention, the serial killing lifestyle has a lot to recommend it.

Killing or abusing kids will ensure you are universally hated and shunned yet I'm sure there are some out there who see that as a small price to pay for the delight, thrill and fulfilment of remembering and reliving their horrific acts. The prison system will subtly place them at risk of brutal reprisals from fellow inmates. The only place they are safe is in solitary confinement, an acknowledged form of torture. Rightly, no one cares, they are beyond redemption. Yet they have still made a name for themselves. It isn't unusual that in the absence of positive validation we choose negative attention or even hate over being ignored.

Just some thoughts and reflections from a jaded misanthropic true crime fan.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Julgran and StarlightDreamer
J

Julgran

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021
I watch true crime. It is very clear that so many of us (if not all) are fascinated by depravity. The more unnatural, aberrant and monstrous the individual criminal, the better we seem to like it. Many of them become pretty much household names. Some quite literally go down in history. They are unfailing talking points and we just can't get enough of them. Some are pretty much icons, we love to hate them. Does this not pretty much encourage heinous violence, torture murders and despicable sadism?

Some may be playing a long game knowing they will have a limited run of serial killing followed by an extended holiday from all responsibility in prison. Not my idea of a good time but many seem to thrive in there. If not, they receive a ton of fan mail, women who fall at their feet and the satisfaction of knowing their name will not be forgotten. For a certain type of personality who has little to lose and craves attention, the serial killing lifestyle has a lot to recommend it.

Killing or abusing kids will ensure you are universally hated and shunned yet I'm sure there are some out there who see that as a small price to pay for the delight, thrill and fulfilment of living and reliving their horrific acts. The prison system will subtly place them at risk of brutal reprisals from fellow inmates. The only place they are safe is in solitary confinement, an acknowledged form of torture. Rightly, no one cares, they are beyond redemption. Yet they have still made a name for themselves. It isn't unusual that in the absence of positive validation we choose negative attention or even hate.

Just some thoughts and reflections from a jaded misanthropic true crime fan.

It would be great if the names of these criminals were never mentioned in the media, so that they can be kept from feeling some kind of sick honor in their deeds.

freedompass

freedompass

Warlock
Jan 27, 2021
It would be great if the names of these criminals were never mentioned in the media, so that they can be kept from feeling some kind of sick honor in their deeds.
The justice system is broken. Families of victims are torn apart and destroyed for life. Victims who survive are never the same. The promising young person or innocent child is snuffed out before life has even begun. Only the murderers themselves profit from their misdeeds and live carefree and even cheerful either within prison walls or walking free if assisted by a bent defence lawyer or granted an early parole. And human nature being what it is, we will always want to hear about them.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Julgran