Finding Sirius

Finding Sirius

The brightest lights cast the darkest shadows
Aug 16, 2022
So we all know about the heros journey. We've watched anime, TV shows, or read books depicting a fallen hero who has lost everything and must go on a journey to rediscover themselves. They're usually closed off from the world as they wonder like a vagabond. As they travel they gradually open up, make new friends, and are able to find a purpose. They go from broken with nothing to lose to a healed functional person with renewed hope.

Their are many people who think of depression/ suffering in this way. That people going through internal and or external hardships just need to go on their own individual journey of healing/ self discovery. The problem is, real life isn't a freaking anime.

There are those of us who have already been on this journey more than once before even seeing our 40's. Those of us who have tried all the self help mumbo jumbo, including: travling, self care, hanging out with new people, therapy, etc. Those who have gone the medical route via drugs. Those who are live with chronic debilitating illnesses and conditions. Those who live in poverty. Those of us who have already accomplished so much but are told by society that we must do more. Then there are those who simply no longer see the point and are tired of trying to distract themselves from how pointless it is.

Why do people insist that we must continue to suffer in the hope that it will get better. I have been on different forums, and while yes there are those who do get better. However, there are also those who regret having stuck around for that hope. Their lives got worse instead of better. So when is it okay to give up? When are we allowed to say "I tried, can I just lay down and die now"? Why to we have to continually fight?

I'm rambling, but this is the only place I feel like I can voice these thoughts. The other forums are becoming overrun with what people here call "pro-lifers". Anyway, what are your thoughts on the heros journey?

Reactions: chloramine, Euthanza, katagiri83 and 1 other person
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
Nobody has to continually fight. It's a personal decision when to leave. I think that people insist that we must suffer as they don't want to accept the fact that life is not worth living for many people, they live under delusions that things can always get better but the truth is that does not reflect the harsh reality of this existence.

It does frustrate me the fact that suicide is so stigmatised and that someone deciding to leave is viewed as 'wrong' and 'irrational' when there really are no disadvantages to being dead and wanting suicide can be perfectly rational. None of us should be expected to endure life against our wishes, our right to die should be respected. None of us asked for this in the first place anyway.

• Love
Reactions: Astral Storm, Euthanza and Finding Sirius
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
Absolutely agree. Plus, in film, anime, books there is often some clear end goal- defeating evil, becoming a wizard/king/queen etc whereas in life, there doesn't seem to be an end- just a constant procession of golden carrots to chase and if you even manage to get one, they quite often disappoint and it's on to the next one.

• Love
Reactions: Astral Storm, chloramine, Euthanza and 1 other person
W

watchingthewheels

Enlightened
Jan 23, 2021
I think of Frodo at the end of LORD OF THE RINGS, triumphant, but unable to recover after the war, and goes to the Undying Lands.
And a lyric from a song on the first Yes album, "Harold Land":

"In conversation, it could be said
that after a war, your heart is dead
Well it's not hard to understand
There is no heart in Harold Land"

• Love
Reactions: Astral Storm, Euthanza and Finding Sirius