N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I think the people on here have a very heterogenous approach on privacy. Currently I try to read more about privacy on the internet because I am scared about getting doxxed and want to be anonymous on the internet.
I am a noob concerning IT but there seems to be a race between people who want to track people and people who don't want to be spied on.

I think for me it i sometimes kind of weird. I recenlty read a thread where peole specify where they come from. I think other people on here would never do that. I assume the people here have different needs for protection or privacy.

Moreover what seems strange for me from time to time. Some people even have a picture from themselves as a profile picture which I consider as a little bit...dangerous. This is in general not a good idea and many here are pretty open about their struggle I assume your employer would not be that happy to find out that you are a mental wreck and suicidal.

The difference is so striking. Some people only visit this website with Tor and on the other hand people say the location where they live or have a picture of their face as profile.

This race betwen tracker and people who don't want to be spied on is interesting, I don't know much but it is a fascinating world. I read about Tor, VPN, Safe browsers, search engines, add-ons, meta-data, tracking methods like fingerprint or pxiel-tracking.

I was especially astonished about pixel-tracking. I don't know much but does this mean a screenshot on a website can identify you? Because you also screenshot the pixel?

After I read some articles I concluded full anonymity on the internet is extremely hard to achieve. I am only layman but there are so many methods to track someone.

Why do you think are people on here so different concerning their data? Which approach is the right one? I think someone recently told a story how she got a stalker from reddit. Sounds frightening. I don't want that something similar happens to me. I try to be careful.

Reactions: YandereMikuMistress
J

Julgran

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021
I think the people on here have a very heterogenous approach on privacy. Currently I try to read more about privacy on the internet because I am scared about getting doxxed and want to be anonymous on the internet.
I am a noob concerning IT but there seems to be a race between people who want to track people and people who don't want to be spied on.

I think for me it i sometimes kind of weird. I recenlty read a thread where peole specify where they come from. I think other people on here would never do that. I assume the people here have different needs for protection or privacy.

Moreover what seems strange for me from time to time. Some people even have a picture from themselves as a profile picture which I consider as a little bit...dangerous. This is in general not a good idea and many here are pretty open about their struggle I assume your employer would not be that happy to find out that you are a mental wreck and suicidal.

The difference is so striking. Some people only visit this website with Tor and on the other hand people say the location where they live or have a picture of their face as profile.

This race betwen tracker and people who don't want to be spied on is interesting, I don't know much but it is a fascinating world. I read about Tor, VPN, Safe browsers, search engines, add-ons, meta-data, tracking methods like fingerprint or pxiel-tracking.

I was especially astonished about pixel-tracking. I don't know much but does this mean a screenshot on a website can identify you? Because you also screenshot the pixel?

After I read some articles I concluded full anonymity on the internet is extremely hard to achieve. I am only layman but there are so many methods to track someone.

Why do you think are people on here so different concerning their data? Which approach is the right one? I think someone recently told a story how she got a stalker from reddit. Sounds frightening. I don't want that something similar happens to me. I try to be careful.

As long as you don't copy and paste text, or use the same avatar or user name, from elsewhere, and don't post your IP address here, you should be fine.

GrumpyFrog

GrumpyFrog

Exhausted
Aug 23, 2020
No, pixel tracking is not related to screenshots. Pixel-tracking is when a disingenuous site fools you into interacting with their code by placing a pixel that you need to click on, or even hover your mouse over in order to activate the code. But that code cannot get your personal information that you didn't disclose to that particular site, such as your real name, picture, location etc. and even if it could, people that made it are not interested in that. At most, it might be interested in what country you're from. This tracking, like most technologies that gather your personal information, is used for marketing. The marketing companies couldn't care less about your face, name, home address and who your employer is. They are interested in what kind of content you're viewing and specifically which ads you click on in order to know what kinds of ads they can send to you. For them, you're a faceless blob with nothing but marketing preferences and maybe a type of browser you use attached to your profile. So yeah, they can collect your information, but not in a way that scares most people. The only thing that could get people behind these technologies interested in the fact you're suicidal would be having a Nembutal seller as their client, then they'll happily spam you with CTB ads. Trust me, I work in a marketing company that uses technologies like the one you're describing.
Why do you think are people on here so different concerning their data? Which approach is the right one?
I think there are two reasons for why the approaches vary. Firstly, there are different level of understanding of technology among users. It can mean that people can be very careless and surprised that things such as reverse picture search exist. But more often on this particular site it's the opposite, it's people being really anxious to the point of paranoia, because they heard some scary stories but don't quite understand how the technology behind them works, so they often imagine personal data tracking as some borderline black magic and obsessively try to protect themselves from things that aren't even technically possible. And secondly, different people have different levels of online presence. If you are (for the lack of a better word) an "influencer" with an actual audience of hundreds of people or more, the chances of you being doxxed are tremendously higher that the chances of someone who barely uses social media (or doesn't use it at all) and has a tiny social circle, because a) there is more information about you laying in the open that can help people identify you and b) a complete stranger has no reason to doxx you, someone has to actually know who you are and have motivation to waste a lot of their time trying to identify you. Everyone makes their own decisions regarding their own privacy.

I would identify the risk factors when it might be reasonable for people to be more careful about their privacy as the following:
1) You are an active user of social media with a significant amount of personal information laying out in the open and a significant number of people that you interact with online using your real name or otherwise identifying accounts.
2) You are some sort of a public figure, even on a small scale
3) You have loved ones that are worried about your mental state and are concerned about you enough to potentially look into your online activities (and they are fluent in English and good with technology)
4) You have people in your social circle that you suspect might also be suicidal and looking into sites like this one, but you would rather not disclose your state to them.

If none of this is true, the chances of anyone doxxing you are extremely low, not because it is technically impossible, but because it would require a significant amount of effort and no one will be interested in doxxing you. Even the anti-SaSu folks are probably not going to engage with you if you don't engage with them.
And in the worst case scenario, you can always say "that's BS, this isn't my account", and 9 times out of 10 it would be impossible to prove that it is yours without involving the authorities. If you believe you know someone who might be so dead set on proving that you're suicidal that you believe they might actually involve authorities, I suggest using Tor and then you're completely safe unless there's evidence you committed a crime online. It's true, everyone can be traced in the modern world. But for better or worse most of the time almost no one will care even if we screenshot this site and post it on our Facebook page, much less care enough to look into your personal information via some sneaky means.

• Informative
Reactions: LastFlowers, rationaltake, http-410 and 3 others
KQuotientW

KQuotientW

404: Reason to live not found
Jul 17, 2022
I have to use a VPN to access this forum in Australia. Feds seemed to think making it a blocked website in this country would stop people. Had a mini heart attack today when I couldn't access this forum for hours and it said the forum was no longer available. šŸ˜¶

Yes, I normally wouldn't give out my location or info that could identify me, but I'm so close to catching the bus, I no longer give a shit. I've mentioned the rural area I live in, but not the exact the town; it's a huge district, anyway. In the past, I haven't given away too much. I'm seriously over it and don't give a flying fig tree anymore. I'll be a local news article soon. Then you'll know which exact town I've been stuck living in for far too long.

Reactions: WhiteRabbit
Unhirable

Unhirable

Proud member of the FBI and CIA.
Sep 14, 2022
People really don't care. I've doxxed myself including credit card info and nothing happened.

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Visionary
Sep 9, 2018
I have no friends, no job, and my FB consists of high school NPCs I haven't seen in person since 2002. I can't be "exposed" to anyone because there literally is nobody. I even posted my pics on here in the past.

But the primary reason I'm pretty open about things is because it's easier to talk to others on here that way. I have no interest in being closed off with no access to my profile etc because what would be the point? You're much harder to get to know as a faceless nobody.

When I weigh the risk of being doxxed (0.0001% because like I said, nobody cares) versus making some half-decent connections on here, it's an easy choice. It's not like I'm doing anything wrong anyway. Fixthe26 et al are generally only interested in the evil ringleaders who run the site. There's a special place in hell for those guys. Jk.

Reactions: ColorlessTrees, newave3, WhiteRabbit and 1 other person
S

SproutPony

Sep 27, 2022
I have to use a VPN to access this forum in Australia. Feds seemed to think making it a blocked website in this country would stop people. Had a mini heart attack today when I couldn't access this forum for hours and it said the forum was no longer available. šŸ˜¶

Yes, I normally wouldn't give out my location or info that could identify me, but I'm so close to catching the bus, I no longer give a shit. I've mentioned the rural area I live in, but not the exact the town; it's a huge district, anyway. In the past, I haven't given away too much. I'm seriously over it and don't give a flying fig tree anymore. I'll be a local news article soon. Then you'll know which exact town I've been stuck living in for far too long.
I too am also in Australia. I can access the site via mobile but not on tablet or computer. Which is super odd and looks like I'll need a VPN to get access to the site from the PC.

My heart also was pounding hard thinking this site was shut down

Edited*** if anyone could tell me why this is happening that would be great

• Love
Reactions: KQuotientW
http-410

http-410

nowhere
Sep 12, 2020
Edited*** if anyone could tell me why this is happening that would be great
This is probably because your providers have put SS on their DNS block list. It's easy to work around this: either enter a different DNS in the router or in the devices directly.

The OP in this thread had the same problem, albeit in reverse (access to SS over wifi worked, while SS over cellular was blocked).

You should also have access to SS via Tor.

Reactions: GrumpyFrog and SproutPony
T

Tiny Little Tree

-
Jan 25, 2021
No, pixel tracking is not related to screenshots. Pixel-tracking is when a disingenuous site fools you into interacting with their code by placing a pixel that you need to click on, or even hover your mouse over in order to activate the code.
Bit of a necro, sorry, couldn't help it.

There's nothing inherently disingenuous about a site using tracking pixels, Google and Meta both have a tracking pixel you can make use of in their analytics products. Also, if you're already letting a site run code at all it can basically run whatever code it wants to. A tracking pixel doesn't necessarily involve any code. When the image loads, a request is made that's separate from loading the website itself and separate from the requests you'd make with code but you can still put whatever parameters you want in that request. That's why you could use them in emails, no email service is going to run arbitrary code from an email but they may load a remote image.

Reactions: GrumpyFrog
L

lionetta12

Just a random person
Aug 5, 2022

I got nothing to hide so all my friends know of my account on here and the username. Everything I post here is stuff that everyone else in my life knows about already. I'm not gonna post my name on here obviously, my IP publically or photos of myself. But I'm not going out of my way to hide this from anyone I know.