FireFox

FireFox

Enlightened
Apr 8, 2020
In England there was a woman called Natasha Gordon, 49, who was jailed in 2018 after she backed out of a suicide pact leaving Matthew Birkinshaw, 31, to die alone. The pair agreed to kill themselves in a car using carbon monoxide poisoning but at the last minute Natasha changed her mind. She left Matthew in the car to kill himself as he wanted to die anyway.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-66193133

This is how she got caught. Natasha contacted her boyfriend from to tell him she was going to kill herself. The boyfriend then told the police, who found Ms Gordon. It was then later when Ms Gordon disclosed that police should be looking for "another person at risk" - Mr Birkinshaw. The police then investigated Gordon and discovered the messages of their suicide pact agreement. Natasha was given 4 years in jail. The reason why she was jailed was because in the UK it is a criminal offence to assist in anyway or encourage an individuals suicide. Even though she changed her mind she had a legal duty to stop Matthew's suicide. Our laws are crazy.

This year Natasha successfully killed herself. Natasha suffered from PTSD and BPD as result of childhood trauma. It was so sad this case because Natasha was someone who had issues and needed help not jail.

• Aww..
Reactions: finalrequiem, Mortadelo, Per Ardua Ad Astra and 14 others
front of me

front of me

Experienced
Aug 3, 2023
People change and no one really knows. This may seem like a very bad idea. In addition, I would never want to get involved in something like this, humanely, before it was legal.

Reactions: Jezzibell and dead_milky
locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
Yeah, there's no doubt that partnering up has a lot of inherent risk associated with it. Exactly for the reason @Firefox stated, but there could "potentially", also, have civil risks associated with it. The family of either party in a suicide pact, whether they both died, or only one died, could potentially sue the estate of the other party for "wrongful death" and seek monetary damages. And the burden of proof is much less in civil cases, as opposed to criminal cases. The family would only need to "tip the scale" a little in a civil case, while a criminal case requires proof beyond a reasonable doubt.

U

UKscotty

Doesn't read PMs
May 20, 2021
Yeah pacts are an incredibly bad idea.

Not just legal issues but what if the other person changes their mind?

I was looking for a partner but after some right fruitcakes messaged me, I realised its just not worth the risk.

The last thing I need is someone who just wanted a cry for help or was attention seeking messing up my CTB.

Reactions: SpiritualDeath, Duality, foreverfalling and 2 others
AshClouds

AshClouds

In time I started growing inward.
Apr 10, 2023
It was so sad this case because Natasha was someone who had issues and needed help not jail.
well this is a clear example on the criminalization of mental illness. I've seen a swat team move in when someone called said they were going to kill themselves.
Point guns at a suicidal person in their lowest moments, yeah, that sure is some top quality mental healthcare right there.

• Aww..
Reactions: Per Ardua Ad Astra
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I certainly think suicide pacts are a bad idea as they are just way too risky. I believe that if one wants to die, it's better to plan to die alone. But at least both of those people are at peace now, they cannot suffer anymore.

• Love
Reactions: dead_milky
D

dead_milky

Sep 9, 2023
I can see how it can be comforting but it's definitely risky. I wouldn't dare make one. It feels wrong to me. I'm scared both of the person leaving me, me changing my mind and leaving them on impulse, and the possible consequences.

D

Duality

Harmony in Duality
May 27, 2023
It is really sad and unfair that she went to jail. Four years is such a harsh punishment when some flat out murderers don't even get that much. This must have been a hard situation to be in - rat on your friend and prolong their suffering, or go to jail for not ratting.

However I read another linked article, and I found it interesting that the judge concluded that she did not actually have the intent of going through with it, and that she was misleading the man:

"I have found you misled [Mr Birkinshaw] into believing you were genuine and firmly intent on committing suicide with him, although you were not fully committed."

Also this:

Mrs Justice Cheema-Grubb told Gordon: "He was a stranger to you. You took no trouble to find out anything about him. You introduced the method that he used and advised him on how it was to be deployed.

"He may not have gone through with it if you had not accompanied him."

That is an interesting conclusion, that she compelled him to commit suicide but she might have been able to escape punishment if she also attempted to go through with it.

Unfortunately 4 years was still too much, and she was still suicidal at the time. Just like there are a number of reasons why we want to end our lives, there are just as many reasons why we don't go through with those plans. If you decide to pull out, it doesn't mean you aren't genuinely trying to end your own life. Plus it's not like she encouraged him to end his own life to get a thrill out of it either, in which case I'd say that the 4 years could have been justified.

Very sad all around, but I am happy that she's in a better place now.

• Aww..
Reactions: Per Ardua Ad Astra