CrazyDiamond04

CrazyDiamond04

Metal Fan- Wants to hang Under The Oak
May 8, 2023
This is something I've been thinking about a lot more as of late. I've read a lot of articles and studies that link the excessive amount of sugar consumption and sedentary lifestyle to depression and suicide in developed nations. It's been making me think that perhaps our diets play a much larger role in our mental state than previously thought. From my personal experiences, I usually feel like hammered shit whenever I eat any fast food and I've stopped eating it because of that. I'm also trying to wean off soda and a lot of juices and drink water more exclusively. I must admit, even though I used to scoff at the idea of exercise I must admit that it does make me feel better. According to the CDC, 41.9% of American adults are obese, and 19% of children are obese compared to 5% in the early 1970s. I find it hard to believe that there isn't a link between the rise in depression in the United States and the rise of obesity. I've also read that sugar can worsen symptoms of anxiety as well, which is a big impediment to me. I think I'm gonna try cutting as much sugar out of my diet as possible. Worst case scenario it does nothing but best case scenario I may actually feel a bit better. The American government also needs to crack down on sugar, imo. It's gotten completely out of control in this country.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cloud Busting, LoiteringClouds, Hollowman and 1 other person
sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that’s just me
Sep 13, 2023
This is something I've been thinking about a lot more as of late. I've read a lot of articles and studies that link the excessive amount of sugar consumption and sedentary lifestyle to depression and suicide in developed nations. It's been making me think that perhaps our diets play a much larger role in our mental state than previously thought. From my personal experiences, I usually feel like hammered shit whenever I eat any fast food and I've stopped eating it because of that. I'm also trying to wean off soda and a lot of juices and drink water more exclusively. I must admit, even though I used to scoff at the idea of exercise I must admit that it does make me feel better. According to the CDC, 41.9% of American adults are obese, and 19% of children are obese compared to 5% in the early 1970s. I find it hard to believe that there isn't a link between the rise in depression in the United States and the rise of obesity. I've also read that sugar can worsen symptoms of anxiety as well, which is a big impediment to me. I think I'm gonna try cutting as much sugar out of my diet as possible. Worst case scenario it does nothing but best case scenario I may actually feel a bit better.
Don't forget about the high fructose corn syrup! It's the biggest evil and it's literally in everything. It's basically just sugar and it's what America does with its excess corn production…it just turns it into high fructose corn syrup which it puts into everything. Europeans say that even American bread tastes sweet…soda and sugary drinks are the worst because they're literally sugar in liquid form.

Processed foods are also the culprit, as well as sugar. I think the problem with the American diet is sugar as well as processed food. Everything is mass manufactured, and there are so many chemicals and additives in processed food. I don't even want to know what is in fast food. People need to eat more farm-to-table, whole/natural foods, and organic food (would be easier if it weren't so expensive).

The government will never crack down on sugar because the sugar lobby and corporations make massive amounts of money off of sugar. It's basically big sugar. They also tried to demonize fat when in fact sugar is the problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: LoiteringClouds and CrazyDiamond04
CrazyDiamond04

CrazyDiamond04

Metal Fan- Wants to hang Under The Oak
May 8, 2023
Don't forget about the high fructose corn syrup! It's the biggest evil and it's literally in everything. It's basically just sugar and it's what America does with its excess corn production…it just turns it into high fructose corn syrup which it puts into everything. Europeans say that even American bread tastes sweet…soda and sugary drinks are the worst because they're literally sugar in liquid form.

Processed foods are also the culprit, as well as sugar. I think the problem with the American diet is sugar as well as processed food. Everything is mass manufactured, and there are so many chemicals and additives in processed food. I don't even want to know what is in fast food. People need to eat more farm-to-table, whole/natural foods, and organic food (would be easier if it weren't so expensive).

The government will never crack down on sugar because the sugar lobby and corporations make massive amounts of money off of sugar. It's basically big sugar. They also tried to demonize fat when in fact sugar is the problem.
Yes, and a lot of the times they add sugar to things that don't need sugar! Like, why does a bag of dried fruit need added sugar to it? Why does a loaf of bread come loaded with sugar? It's just insane, why do we choose to subject ourselves to this torture?

• Hugs
Reactions: LoiteringClouds and sserafim
sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that’s just me
Sep 13, 2023
Yes, and a lot of the times they add sugar to things that don't need sugar! Like, why does a bag of dried fruit need added sugar to it? Why does a loaf of bread come loaded with sugar? It's just insane, why do we choose to subject ourselves to this torture?
Yeah I know right, there's really no reason for them to put sugar in literally everything. I think it's because of corporations and big sugar, and so they have a use for the excess corn like I mentioned. Sugar is also addictive, so many people are addicted to it. People just eat more and more sugar. I don't think we have much of a choice honestly. I think the issue is capitalism and corporate greed. Also, I think many Americans are normalized to eating massive amounts of sugar from an early age. It's just American culture unfortunately (think the prevalence/ubiquity of General Mills and other large corporations). At the end of the day, money and profit are the most important, at the expense of consumers' health. They make money off of sugar because sugar is addictive. It's literally a drug.

F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I'm sure there must be a link between processed food in general and a lot of health conditions. I've also wondered specifically though- whether there are links to mental illness. It's not just chemical laiden food either. Just think how polluted this world is compared to only 50, 100 years ago. It's got to be affecting us- as well as everything else.

But definitely- sugar is a real hidden enemy. I remember watching a documentary saying that they knew the health risks very early on. There's so much money in it though- the same as the tobacco and alcohol industries. These huge corporations pay- basically bribe our governments to keep producing their shit. Ironic really because the resulting obesity and higher cancer rates must put more pressure on a countries health service but I guess the economics must still work in their favour.

Reactions: sserafim