Do you like the ‘welcome back’ exclamation point?

• Yes!

• No.

Results are only viewable after voting.
lonelymountaingirl

lonelymountaingirl

just passing through
Oct 21, 2020
"Welcome back!"

It's like it's taunting me.

Anyone else?

• Hugs
Reactions: Stick, Ghost2211, SweetSurrender and 2 others
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
As a rule I hate exclamation points. I use to work in journalism and they had quite a derogatory nick-name. We were encouraged to avoid their use. I particularly hate it when people use several at once!!! :blarg:

Reactions: Giraffey, x~Sophia~x, Ghost2211 and 2 others
Wayfaerer

Wayfaerer

JFMSUF
Aug 21, 2019
The point of the exclamation mark is to show enthusiasm for your return. How would you feel if you were greeted with "welcome back." as if it was only a formality and the person (thing in this case) really couldn't care less. I don't even know what message your referring to but I assume it's when you log back in.

Reactions: antigone_iris, Skathon, Lupgevif and 5 others
lonelymountaingirl

lonelymountaingirl

just passing through
Oct 21, 2020
I assume it's when you log back in.

Yes, that is my reference.

I'd honestly prefer no punctuation on it, that I might read it how ever I choose.

• Hugs
Reactions: GoodPersonEffed and Ghost2211
Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
Yes, that is my reference.

I'd honestly prefer no punctuation on it, that I might read it how ever I choose.

It made me react too. "Welcome back to the forum for people who consider suicide! Glad to see you haven't changed your mind!" I've gotten used to it by now, though.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Nymph, cii, Ghost2211 and 2 others
G

Ghost2211

Archangel
Jan 20, 2020
There are times that I will greet people for the first time or welcome them back with an exclamation mark. The thing is it's not about them coming to a dark place, but rather I look at it like they're coming to a place where they have the potential to feel loved and respected. I also find I use them more when I'm high because quite frankly I'm excited.

Hey, @Mm80! I bet you have an opinion about this since you get a nice big "good morning!" so often.

Last edited:
Reactions: antigone_iris, greebo6 and woxihuanni
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
Odd, often when I see people make a request followed by the word 'please' it feels less polite and more formal to me than without the 'please.' Maybe I've just worked with too many passive aggressive people:/

• Hugs
Reactions: woxihuanni and Ghost2211
woxihuanni

woxihuanni

Illuminated
Aug 19, 2019
Odd, often when I see people make a request followed by the word 'please' it feels less polite and more formal to me than without the 'please.' Maybe I've just worked with too many passive aggressive people:/

It is the accumulated trauma, probably. For me it is 'thank you'. Don't know how many thank yous I got for my services which were clearly fuck yous.

• Hugs
Reactions: Ghost2211 and Deleted member 1465
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
It is the accumulated trauma, probably. For me it is 'thank you'. Don't know how many thank yous I got for my services which were clearly fuck yous.
LOL I used to work with someone who would use please and thank you in the same sentence: "Can you get me a cup of coffee please? Thank you." It pissed me off because it implied that I would indeed get the coffee and have no choice in the matter. I always just ignored him. Get yer own feckin coffee.

Reactions: Ghost2211 and Good4Nothing
woxihuanni

woxihuanni

Illuminated
Aug 19, 2019
LOL I used to work with someone who would use please and thank you in the same sentence: "Can you get me a cup of coffee please? Thank you." It pissed me off because it implied that I would indeed get the coffee and have no choice in the matter. I always just ignored him. Get yer own feckin coffee.

He sounds like the perfect guy to kick in the nuts. Don't know how you resisted it.

Reactions: Ghost2211
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
He sounds like the perfect guy to kick in the nuts. Don't know how you resisted it.
Oh I used to have fun with him. Whenever he asked for help with the phones (as in answering them) I'd go over, pick up his receiver and say "Now this is the bit you hold to your ear and this is the bit you talk into..." He also always pretended to be on deadline and never was, well, no more than we all were.

• Love
Reactions: Ghost2211, woxihuanni and lonelymountaingirl
woxihuanni

woxihuanni

Illuminated
Aug 19, 2019
Oh I used to have fun with him. Whenever he asked for help with the phones (as in answering them) I'd go over, pick up his receiver and say "Now this is the bit you hold to your ear and this is the bit you talk into..." He also always pretended to be on deadline and never was, well, no more than we all were.

Haha that cracked me up so much. You definitely know what to do with his type. :)

Reactions: Ghost2211 and Deleted member 1465
lonelymountaingirl

lonelymountaingirl

just passing through
Oct 21, 2020

Hilarious

Reactions: Deleted member 1465
Mm80

Mm80

Enlightened
May 15, 2019
There are times that I will greet people for the first time or welcome them back with an exclamation mark. The thing is it's not about them coming to a dark place, but rather I look at it like they're coming to a place where they have the potential to feel loved and respected. I also find I use them more when I'm high because quite frankly I'm excited.

Hey, @Mm80! I bet you have an opinion about this since you get a nice big "good morning!" so often.
The only reason i dont like it when you say good morning is because when you say it, its late afternoon here usually and my day was probably akready dragging !!! Im so ungrateful sometimes.

• Hugs
G

Ghost2211

Archangel
Jan 20, 2020
The only reason i dont like it when you say good morning is because when you say it, its late afternoon here usually and my day was probably akready dragging !!! Im so ungrateful sometimes.
I would need to stay up till midnight to give you a morning good morning, and I'm way too sleepy for that. I'll give you a hug IOU for every late good morning delivery!

Reactions: woxihuanni
Nymph

Nymph

he/him
Jul 15, 2020
Welcome back!
You're still suicidal, hooray!

• Hugs