brownbear

brownbear

Aug 27, 2023
I have started taking antidepressants while being in the psych ward, i'm currently on 75mg Sertralin.

The effect is supposed to take effect in 3-6 weeks.
I'ts been 3-4 weeks, yet I dont feel any different. I was hopeful for a few weeks, actually considering recovery and feeling more hopeful after my failed attempt landed me in the psych ward.

I feel it all coming back, what if the antidepressants don't work?
Should I consider attempting in the psych ward? I can't bear it any longer.

• Hugs
Reactions: imsocold, 134340, Departme and 2 others
todeswunsch

todeswunsch

On overtime in life
Oct 19, 2023
Antidepressant used to help me, but now I'm not sure.
Escitalopram wasnt working, and I moved to desvenlafaxine, already on the max dose, and no effects.
I'm now using along with that, Lithium associated with Lurasidone, no effects on the humor.
I feel like the meds are not improving my mood, and on top of that I got more blunt - which helps worsening my mood. Little paradoxal

I talk a lot about this fear with my therapist and psychiatrist. It seems I got threatment resistant depression. They still want to try some more meds. The next one is Ketamine, which is expensive :/

But they offered some options as Electroconvulsive therapy. Psychedelics' therapy is also on the radar, but since it is still illegal we have it as a last resort.
By now I don't think any of that can help, I think I'm beyond any help already.

Regarding psych ward, I really am frowned upon that. But if you don't want to CTB but fear doing it because its unbearable, it is a valid option. It won't solve the problems, but will give you some safe time to recover and find more suitable medication.
Keep in mind that antidepressants take some time to stabilize their effects, and during that time you may feel that its getting worse.
I forget to mention: Is totally normal to have to switch antidepressants until finding one that works on your body. Most people won't work with the first medication they try. Takes time to find the right meds

• Love
Reactions: Departme, Praestat_Mori, WAITING TO DIE and 1 other person
Enlighten

Enlighten

I am here for you
Sep 29, 2023
I have started taking antidepressants while being in the psych ward, i'm currently on 75mg Sertralin.

I'ts been 3-4 weeks, yet I dont feel any different. I was hopeful for a few weeks, actually considering recovery and feeling more hopeful after my failed attempt landed me in the psych ward.

I would definetely give it a bit more time. Anti depressants take time to work and like todeswunsch mentioned: it might just not be the one for you.

• Love
Reactions: brownbear, Departme, Praestat_Mori and 3 others
WAITING TO DIE

WAITING TO DIE

TORMENTED
Sep 30, 2023
I suffer from persistent untreatable depression, and meds don't work for me, yet I know they can work for others.
It may take a few weeks to feel the full effects and maybe try several different antidepressants before you find one that works for you.

• Love
Reactions: brownbear, Departme, Praestat_Mori and 2 others
J

Jolene79

Experienced
Jun 16, 2023
When I took SSRIs ( which you are on) it was at least 6 weeks then I realised one day without thinking that I felt significantly better anxiety and depression wise. I was no longer afraid. Stick with it as long as you can šŸ¤ž

• Love
Reactions: brownbear, UtopianSoliloquies, Departme and 2 others
Departme

Departme

Mar 23, 2023
When I took SSRIs ( which you are on) it was at least 6 weeks then I realised one day without thinking that I felt significantly better anxiety and depression wise. I was no longer afraid. Stick with it as long as you can šŸ¤ž
Yes you need to stick with them, this was my experience on citalopram years ago. It took a few weeks then one day after around 3/4 weeks I woke up feeling so much better in mind. Like sunshine had returned. Sadly also with the SSRi meds it is a lottery which one works, if after 6-8 weeks no effects then try upping the dose for a period then try another.

Also for treatment resistant people, I hear good reports on micro dosing LSD. This maybe the future as it will avoid the negative side effects with these type of meds.

• Love
Reactions: brownbear and WAITING TO DIE
PeterRabbit

PeterRabbit

Feb 19, 2023
I always told my friends that you're turning a huge ship at sea. You are not going to notice the change immediately.

• Love
Reactions: Departme, WAITING TO DIE, brownbear and 1 other person
UtopianSoliloquies

UtopianSoliloquies

Act 3 Scene 1
Jan 21, 2023
From what I've been told about sertraline and SSRIs in general, they affect the neuroplasticity of your brain and enable you to more easily overcome distorted thinking and bad habits and the like. As others have stated, it's hard to notice the difference right away but that doesn't necessarily mean it's not working. Sertraline has helped me immensely but it felt less like "oh wow I just feel so much better" and more like noticing that all the coping skills that I've been taught but never been able to use have started actually working. I wish you the best and hope the medication helps!

• Love
Reactions: Departme, WAITING TO DIE and brownbear
Old Friend

Old Friend

Sleep well, Airstrip One.
Sep 24, 2023
My tinnitus has gotten a whole lot worse as of today. Doctor agrees with my suspicion that it's probably the amitriptyline. Dose has been lowered.

• Hugs
  • Love
mob

mob

Student
Jul 19, 2023
Everyone is different and therefore reacts to antidepressants differently. While on Fluoxetine/Prozac I felt like a corpse and literally couldn't move an inch without feeling extremely exhausted. I'm on Wellbutrin/Bupropion at the moment and it's much easier to get up in the morning, but it didn't start working until about a month in.

What I'm trying to say is, while it might take some time, and I absolutely recommend taking it for longer just to see if it helps you, you should also consider taking different antidepressants that would work better for you if Sertraline doesn't work out. Sertraline doesn't work for everyone, and that's fine. You just have to find the right fit for you. Wishing you the best.

• Love
PreCambrianBliss

PreCambrianBliss

Touring the primordial aeon
Apr 26, 2023
I'ts been 3-4 weeks, yet I dont feel any different.
It's very common for people to try many different antidepressants before finding something that works. You would be very lucky to get it on the first go, don't give up yet.

• Love

Student
Aug 23, 2019
I would really encourage you to give it some more time, and if sertraline doesn't work for you, I would encourage you to try a couple of other things too before making a decision. Meds don't work for everyone, but they can make literally all the difference for some. It's never a cure-all, but in my opinion, it's worth the wait to see. I'm a firm believer in giving everything a shot before going. Why not.

You're going to see changes over time as well, it's unlikely that you'll wake up one day and feel that the medication has suddenly started working. It can take up to 6 weeks just to start seeing the very first improvements. In my experience, it's small things first. I don't know what your specific issues are but for me I start noticing that things like taking a shower, doing the dishes, etc no longer feel like monumental tasks. Things like that.

• Love
J

J&L383

Arcanist
Jul 18, 2023
Yes, unfortunately it can vary a lot depending on the person. Try to be patient as best as you can and hopefully you find a product or combination of medications that work for you. I have a friend and a brother that have had good success with it. My opinion, ECT should be a last resort, and I wouldn't rule out psilocybin therapy for medication resistant depression. (In my state of Oregon now we can go to psilocybin therapy centers for treatments).

Abyssal

Abyssal

Kill me
Nov 26, 2023
I found I got worse before getting better, but I did get better. Hell, I may be planning my own death but I'm still doing better than I did without the meds. It gave me stability.