Lara Francis

Lara Francis

Enlightened
Jun 30, 2018
I am sure if many of us would be diagnosed with a terminal illness it would come as a relief and sense of "job done!"
No disrespect intended to those that are in this situation and feel differently.

I mention this as my friend and I were talking about this the other day.(I have some things in my family history but have no worries atm ) but she asked if i did,would i take treatment.?
I said no and could see her disappointment.
If you had a good friend / close relative that was terminally ill and refusing treatment,could u show the same understanding and respect for their decision that u would expect if it was yourself?

Last edited:
Reactions: Moonicide, Final Escape, rue and 5 others
Darkhaven

Darkhaven

All i have left is memories
May 19, 2019
I definately could. Would be kind of an hypocrite if i didn't.

Reactions: Thanatos and Lara Francis
Kikoo Loool

Kikoo Loool

Enlightened
Feb 25, 2019
My wife isn't yet officially terminally ill but already stopped the chemo for her leukemia. She's not suicidal though, maybe just despaired.

• Hugs
Reactions: JustVisiting, Throwaway9787, Soul and 1 other person
k75

k75

L'appel du Vide
Jun 27, 2019
I can't speak for everyone, of course, but in my experience, it's not something to hope for. It's something that you have no control over, and it's likely to be a slow, painful, nasty death. I want to die, but I'd rather not suffer. And I'd like a choice in the matter, and not be backed into a corner.

I had a very aggressive cancer and am in remission, but I spend every day in terror that it will return. If it does, it'll be stage IV and considered terminal. The threat is like a suffocating black cloud hanging over me all the time.

But I get it. I honestly wish it had just killed me the first time, and it's one of the big things that makes me suicidal now. I can't take the constant stress and fear and guilt.

• Hugs
Reactions: ocarina1, JustVisiting, Kikoo Loool and 2 others
Soul

Soul

gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha
Apr 12, 2019
I have one of those long slow nasty ones, and as I was recently complaining on another thread it's not even something they give morphine for to give a soul a few options.

I don't really know what types of illness provide a good death. I know a lot of them that sound all right from a distance can involve pretty awful details like malodorous lesions, swelling up, leaking etc.

In Victorian novels people died of "brain fever" just at the most graceful moments, looking lovely and romantic. Why can't we do that?

• Aww..
  • Love
Reactions: Final Escape, Mbound, inconsequential and 2 others
Darkhaven

Darkhaven

May 19, 2019
I have one of those long slow nasty ones, and as I was recently complaining on another thread it's not even something they give morphine for to give a soul a few options.

I don't really know what types of illness provide a good death. I know a lot of them that sound all right from a distance can involve pretty awful details like malodorous lesions, swelling up, leaking etc.

In Victorian novels people died of "brain fever" just at the most graceful moments, looking lovely and romantic. Why can't we do that?
I probably shouldn't be asking such a question and you can simply ignore it, but is something neurological that's afflicting you?

Reactions: Final Escape
Lara Francis

Lara Francis

Enlightened
Jun 30, 2018
I can't speak for everyone, of course, but in my experience, it's not something to hope for. It's something that you have no control over, and it's likely to be a slow, painful, nasty death. I want to die, but I'd rather not suffer. And I'd like a choice in the matter, and not be backed into a corner.

I had a very aggressive cancer and am in remission, but I spend every day in terror that it will return. If it does, it'll be stage IV and considered terminal. The threat is like a suffocating black cloud hanging over me all the time.

But I get it. I honestly wish it had just killed me the first time, and it's one of the big things that makes me suicidal now. I can't take the constant stress and fear and guilt.
I am pleased to hear that you are in remission and as u say,u can chose your own time and method.
I am sorry to hear the stresses and fears that you have to go through in thinking it may return.
I wish you well xx

Reactions: ocarina1, Final Escape and Soul
Soul

Soul

Apr 12, 2019
I probably shouldn't be asking such a question and you can simply ignore it, but is something neurological that's afflicting you?

It's got some neurological side effects but it's pulmonary. Emphysema to be exact.

• Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: Darkhaven and Lara Francis
Darkhaven

Darkhaven

May 19, 2019
It's got some neurological side effects but it's pulmonary. Emphysema to be exact.
Sorry to hear that.
When people say that they have a serious condition i immediatly think of neurological diseases. You know the ones that render us useless with time.
It's probably because i have one.

• Hugs
Reactions: Soul
SinisterKid

SinisterKid

Visionary
Jun 1, 2019
The simple answer is yes, I can respect that some people do not want to spend their final weeks/months doing endless rounds of treatments that will confine them to bed in the slim hope that they can be cured. Our DiL's mother decided against chemo last year because the chances of success were not not high. She went through keyhole, radio therapy and other ops to various organs and they could not stop the spread.

I am very very pro choice. I used to be pro suicide as pro choice was unknown to me at the time.

• Hugs
Reactions: Lara Francis, Soul and Kikoo Loool
inconsequential

inconsequential

Enlightened
Jun 1, 2019

Hey! Similar lung issue here. Non-CF bronchiectasis. Lung stuff sucks so much, is so uncomfortable. I'm giving your soul a hug right now, Soul.

• Hugs
Reactions: Soul
O

oopswronglife

Elementalist
Jun 27, 2019
People THINK they want cancer or some terminal illness until they get it. The romantic notion that not having a choice would solve all your problems is countered by the reality of the disability, pain, and suffering. Be careful what you wish for. Dying of cancer is no "easier" than ctb. You are just tied to the tracks and cannot get up even if you decide you wanted to.

• Love
Reactions: Sever and Kikoo Loool
Soul

Soul

Apr 12, 2019
People THINK they want cancer or some terminal illness until they get it. The romantic notion that not having a choice would solve all your problems is countered by the reality of the disability, pain, and suffering. Be careful what you wish for. Dying of cancer is no "easier" than ctb. You are just tied to the tracks and cannot get up even if you decide you wanted to.

I concur (see above) but I believe what some people are thinking is that if they ctb due to a terminal illness it'll be easier on their families. "Death with dignity" has been deemed a right in enough places now that it's probably true that some families will be more accepting of it if we ctb while dying.

Of course in a larger sense all suicides are committed while dying, but you know what I mean.

By the way, here's a companion thread to this one:
https://sanctioned-suicide.net/threads/giving-self-a-terminal-illness.17007/#post-375324

Last edited:
Reactions: Darkhaven and Kikoo Loool
M

Mbound

Experienced
Apr 29, 2019
As the lovely @Soul said, I would only want it because it would make ctb infinitely easier on my family, and would give me the chance to possibly qualify for physician assisted euthanasia in Europe. My family's even said they would understand my choice to ctb in that case. Maybe I could even be with them as I passed, and I wouldn't die alone feeling like I was doing unspeakable evil to them...

I think it's true though naturally dying of cancer would be grizzly and terrible. That would not be a fate I would ever desire or wish for anyone.

• Hugs
Reactions: rue and Soul
JustVisiting

JustVisiting

Brain Tumour Killing Me
Dec 18, 2019
Please don't wish for a terminal illness!! I have Brain Cancer and it's excruciatingly painful. Yes, it will kill me but they don't know when.

Trust me, a terminal illness is not an easy out. Just my two cents.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: ocarina1, Lara Francis, Moonicide and 2 others