AloneSoAlone

AloneSoAlone

Aug 28, 2020
Hi Apologies for the stupid question but I am not very technical and this is the first time (...about a week or so ago) that I've ever posted anything on a Forum based site. I don't really Facebook, Twitter, Insta or anything like that either...

So my question: If i post on a thread and then post again before anyone else has 'replied' (even if I am replying to someone different) my last post 'usually' get appended to the one i'd made just before at the bottom (...if that makes sense?)

I'd like to post a series of my own posts (and some replies to other's comments) and individual comments so that thought processes and the like can be kept separate (...again if that makes sense? My brain is not working too well at the moment!)

If there a way to ensure that when you "Post Reply" to your own previous reply that it comes up as a NEW

comment rather than being appended to your last/previous one?

Sorry Like i said I know it's a bit of a dumb questions. I've looked on Rule and Info and 'Googled' too but have not been able to find an answer. Thanks for your help.

Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you šŸ•Æļø Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
Why are my responses/replies to more than one user being combined into one whole response/reply, instead of two or more seperate responses in a thread?
Forum functionality combines two responses into one post because that's how the functionality works as a whole. seperate responses to seperate users and different statements into different replies for each specific user crowds the post and creates an unnecessary volume and amount of posts under a specific thread, and makes it harder for people to read and browse through. You're responses combined into one post does no harm, as both users involved get notifications and are then redirected to you're post in question. Thus, more than one response to a post in a thread will be combined into one post as a whole.
@AloneSoAlone just make sure to tag them or click reply on their post so they get a notification

Reactions: esse_est_percipi
Soulless Angel

Soulless Angel

Did someone say Rum?
Jul 6, 2020
I have noticed if you leave a gap of time between posting, not sure how long it is, you can often find it posting on a new post rather then linking into your old one,

Reactions: GoodPersonEffed
E

esse_est_percipi

Enlightened
Jul 14, 2020
I don't think there is any way of getting around responses being combined into one single post. That's just how the site works

Soulless Angel

Soulless Angel

Did someone say Rum?
Jul 6, 2020
I know this as I once was very drunk and started talking to myself on a thread, and sometimes it went to new post rather then linking to my old one

E

esse_est_percipi

Enlightened
Jul 14, 2020
I have noticed if you leave a gap of time between posting, not sure how long it is, you can often find it posting on a new post rather then linking into your old one,
I think this only happens if someone else posts a new post after your last one.

Soulless Angel

Soulless Angel

Did someone say Rum?
Jul 6, 2020
I think this only happens if someone else posts a new post after your last one.

no no, I was actually talking to myself, it was my own thread, but it often went to a new post, no one else posted i won't link, as it was under my old user and I don't wish to link that to me.

Reactions: esse_est_percipi
icanhasnick

icanhasnick

Student
Sep 3, 2020
It's easier to read all in one post instead of several posts by the same user. And why would you really want them to be separate posts ?

E

esse_est_percipi

Enlightened
Jul 14, 2020
no no, I was actually talking to myself, it was my own thread, but it often went to a new post, no one else posted i won't link, as it was under my old user and I don't wish to link that to me.
Maybe it's connected to the amount of time before you can't delete/edit you own posts anyomore?
So it goes to a new post once your last post has been up long enough to stop you deleting it?

AloneSoAlone

AloneSoAlone

Aug 28, 2020
Thanks Guys for your replies. On the contrary I think it would be better to have replies (especially to different people) in completely separate comments - that way people can easily just reply to that individual comment (rather than the whole big one combining multiple comments/threads) and that way also one thread might be able to evolve into multiple 'conversations' (without having to start new threads, especially if they are loosely related) - I guess you just have to take a view on what's best...

@User Does Not Exist - you are completely correct as I have experienced this too. 'Some' POST REPLY when the last reply was one of your own sometimes 1) get appended to the old reply to 2) comes as a completely NEW reply (...which is what I as looking for!) I think the time element is the main factor as I've gotten frustrated with it (especially when I've lost what I'd just typed! Remember I'm not too savvy with all this!) and gone away and come back later and lo-and-behold when I reply to myself (...with no one else having posted in the meantime) it starts a NEW reply!

Sorry I thought I was going mad :wink:

AloneSoAlone

AloneSoAlone

Aug 28, 2020
...yeah thanks! I'm still getting to grips with the QUOTE and REPLY functionality.
Just saw that if you quote someone (person A) who's quoted someone in their reply (person B) then it only references what was said by person A in your quote!?
Sorry but I am finding this quite simple thing qute difficult to comprehend! Thanks for all your help.

icanhasnick

icanhasnick

Student
Sep 3, 2020
Some of us were on forums 15 years ago. Then sadly they mostly died and were replaced by very shitty "platforms". If this is the first time you use one, will take some getting used to. At least you get a reason not to cbt yet. Not before you can properly quote on ss.

Reactions: GoodPersonEffed and foxdie
AloneSoAlone

AloneSoAlone

Aug 28, 2020
Some of us were on forums 15 years ago. Then sadly they mostly died and were replaced by very shitty "platforms". If this is the first time you use one, will take some getting used to. At least you get a reason not to cbt yet. Not before you can properly quote on ss.

:smiling:

Reactions: icanhasnick
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
As far as I'm aware there does actually appear to be a time limit, after which you can repeat post without it being appended. I assumed when I did this last time my post would be tacked on, but it ended up separate. I've no idea what the time limit is though.

Reactions: AloneSoAlone
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
If you quote someone who quoted someone else, if you want it included, you'll have to quote the first one yourself. You can either use reply and they'll both go in the same text box, or click quote on each, and then at the bottom of the text box click insert quotes.

At the bottom of the Rules and FAQ, it talks about comments being combined into one. If you don't want that, you'll have to wait for someone else to comment, or wait for maybe an hour before posting again, I'm not sure exactly how long, I've never timed it when I do it I just notice that it wasn't added to my previous comment.

Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
It takes exactly 1 hour before you can post behind yourself without it combining the two together.

Reactions: Deleted member 1465
Freelyffe88

Freelyffe88

Jun 28, 2021
Why are my responses/replies to more than one user being combined into one whole response/reply, instead of two or more seperate responses in a thread?
Forum functionality combines two responses into one post because that's how the functionality works as a whole. seperate responses to seperate users and different statements into different replies for each specific user crowds the post and creates an unnecessary volume and amount of posts under a specific thread, and makes it harder for people to read and browse through. You're responses combined into one post does no harm, as both users involved get notifications and are then redirected to you're post in question. Thus, more than one response to a post in a thread will be combined into one post as a whole.
@AloneSoAlone just make sure to tag them or click reply on their post so they get a notification
I think the combined posting is a bad function, because often times you'll be responding to two different things and the amount of space that it saves is negligible.
For example, right now, I have a message that i desperately want to post, but it combines itself into something completely different, so now I'm waiting around hoping that someone will post on the thread so I can finally post it.