S like suicide

S like suicide

Enlightened
Apr 29, 2021
Hi guys ... :) I'd like to know which is your favorite book? The one that struck you the most and that every now and then you love(or used to) to reread...I have never been a great reader ... as long as I went to school for me reading was not so much a pleasure as an obligation but I remember that at that time I fell in love with the book "And then there were none" by Agatha Christie ... I reread it a lot of times after and am still passionate about this story, I also saw the latest TV series that was made and I loved it. As a teenager I also really liked the short stories of Edgar Allan Poe.
I also really liked the fantasy sagas, one in particular: "the midnight diaries", then later I also read Harry Potter (Only after I was already grown up and had already seen all the movies) and Hunger Games. Another book which I really enjoyed was Ian McEwan's Atonement, I read it because I loved the film.But I must say that one of my absolute favorites,the one that really hit my heart and that I really love most of all is "Oceano Mare"(Ocean Sea)of Alessandro Baricco.And what are the books you loved the most and why did they impress you so much?Do you have a favorite genre or is it indifferent? And what was your last book?Unfortunately, with severe depression I no longer read because then I start to feel bad and therefore I have also abandoned reading,but the last things I was reading were "The Thousand nights and One Nights"(Or Arabian nights idk in english), some poems by Pablo Neruda and a comic by Diabolik.

• Love
Reactions: MountKecske, lesserbohemian, Largeletters and 2 others
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I haven't read much in a while but my favourite series are The Daughter of Smoke and Bone trilogy, (in particular the first book) and The Mortal Instruments: Infernal Devices. I just really liked the stories in both of them, and I got quite invested. My favourite genre is usually fantasy even know I do like reading manga sometimes.
The last thing I read was one of the books of the Throne of Glass series which I was getting tired of honestly as it was too long.

• Hugs
Reactions: S like suicide and Mistake of Nature
nolongerhuman

nolongerhuman

Arcanist
Feb 9, 2021
My favorite book is currently Crime and Punishment. I read And then There were None too and it's a really good mystery book. I also read Have his Caracass by Dorothy Sayers and remember enjoying that.
I am currently trying to read the Brothers Karamozov. It is a very long and complex book so I won't be completely sure what I think about it until it's over but I really like it so far. A good plot summary without spoiling it is "Big, fucked up family reunion".

I've gotten into Japanese literature fairly recently. I'd recommend The Setting Sun by Dazai Osamu and Kokoro by Soseki Nastume to just about anyone. I'd recommend No Longer Human to most of the people on this forum since they can empathize with the profound mental illness portrayed in the book but you're definitely going to need some tissues for that one. If I had anything resembling a long-term goal that wasn't work related it would be to eventually learn Japanese so that I can read Dogra Magra. I am told that this is a very good book but there is currently no good English translation.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: charlottewilts, MountKecske, lesserbohemian and 2 others
Mistake of Nature

Mistake of Nature

A shadow suspended on dust
Mar 30, 2020
OP, I love Edgar Allan Poe too. "Alone" is especially beautiful. I also loved the film Atonement and didn't even realize it was based off of a book!

My favorite book of all time is Mary Shelley's Frankenstein because I relate so much to Frankenstein's creature and feel that his experiences and emotions mirror mine in many ways. I also have a soft spot for The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger because it kick-started my love of reading. It was one of the first times I felt understood when I read it as a young teenager.

My favorite book is currently Crime and Punishment.
I am currently trying to read the Brothers Karamozov.

These are great as well. Fyodor Dostoyevsky is one of my favorite writers – Notes from Underground, Crime and Punishment, and "White Nights" are fantastic.

Right now I'm reading Thomas Harris' Red Dragon which I'm thoroughly enjoying. It's the source material for the Hannibal movies which I know many people are familiar with. But I've been so depressed and anxious lately that I can't read much anymore. If I'm lucky I'm able to read about 5 pages per day, so it's taking me forever to get through it.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: MountKecske, lesserbohemian, S like suicide and 1 other person
S like suicide

S like suicide

Enlightened
Apr 29, 2021
I haven't read much in a while but my favourite series are The Daughter of Smoke and Bone trilogy, (in particular the first book) and The Mortal Instruments: Infernal Devices. I just really liked the stories in both of them, and I got quite invested. My favourite genre is usually fantasy even know I do like reading manga sometimes.
The last thing I read was one of the books of the Throne of Glass series which I was getting tired of honestly as it was too long.
I really like the fantasy genre and manga too, even though I've always been more of a spectator than a reader ... so I usually watch the movies they draw from the books first and then I read the books.
In fact, I know mortal istrument because of the film and the television series, but I've never read the book.
I made some research about the other books you mentioned and they seem very interesting ... especially the daughter of smoke and bone ... is set in Prague (I went there once on a school trip and I fell in love with it, especially the bridge with the statues of monsters, it's spectacular).<3
My favorite book is currently Crime and Punishment. I read And then There were None too and it's a really good mystery book. I also read Have his Caracass by Dorothy Sayers and remember enjoying that.
I am currently trying to read the Brothers Karamozov. It is a very long and complex book so I won't be completely sure what I think about it until it's over but I really like it so far. A good plot summary without spoiling it is "Big, fucked up family reunion".

I've gotten into Japanese literature fairly recently. I'd recommend The Setting Sun by Dazai Osamu and Kokoro by Soseki Nastume to just about anyone. I'd recommend No Longer Human to most of the people on this forum since they can empathize with the profound mental illness portrayed in the book but you're definitely going to need some tissues for that one. If I had anything resembling a long-term goal that wasn't work related it would be to eventually learn Japanese so that I can read Dogra Magra. I am told that this is a very good book but there is currently no good English translation.
I like your tastes.... Dostoevsky is a great writer ... his books are world classics. I wanted to read all his books but I only read white nights and a little Anna Karenina.i really liked...and i know the story of Crime and punishment and Karamazov brothers but i never read the books.but I think these are books that everyone should know and read:)I also read the plots of the Japanese books you mentioned and they intrigued me especially no longer human and dogra magra. I too would like to learn Japanese because their culture fascinates me a lot:)

Last edited:
S like suicide

S like suicide

Enlightened
Apr 29, 2021
OP, I love Edgar Allan Poe too. "Alone" is especially beautiful. I also loved the film Atonement and didn't even realize it was based off of a book!

My favorite book of all time is Mary Shelley's Frankenstein because I relate so much to Frankenstein's creature and feel that his experiences and emotions mirror mine in many ways. I also have a soft spot for The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger because it kick-started my love of reading. It was one of the first times I felt understood when I read it as a young teenager.

These are great as well. Fyodor Dostoyevsky is one of my favorite writers – Notes from Underground, Crime and Punishment, and "White Nights" are fantastic.

Right now I'm reading Thomas Harris' Red Dragon which I'm thoroughly enjoying. It's the source material for the Hannibal movies which I know many people are familiar with. But I've been so depressed and anxious lately that I can't read much anymore. If I'm lucky I'm able to read about 5 pages per day, so it's taking me forever to get through it.
Personally i believe that Edgar Allan Poe's stories were the first written that really impressed me.the tell-tale heart,the black cat,the fall of the house of Usher,the pit and the pendulum really hit my imagination... Poe manages to scare with a short story.As for Atonement the film is very beautiful and I read the book because I was very curious ... I wanted to know more about the story.I have to say that I preferred the film to the book but the book describes very well the part of the war and then I found it pleasant.
Frankenstein and the catcher in the rye are some great books ... I remember them because they gave them to me to read at school as an assignment.Now that I think about it I would have liked to appreciate them more ... but they were more of a duty and therefore I read them just because I had to and not for a personal pleasure and curiosity.
Well i understand your frustration and I am sorry that you cannot fully enjoy this latest book you are reading ... the same happened to me so
that I gave up on it ... I haven't read for months now.
I wish you will get better and that you will come back to read soon:) :)

• Love
Reactions: Mistake of Nature
LONE WOLF.

LONE WOLF.

PUNISHER.
Nov 4, 2020
I first read this book when I was in my 20's and enjoyed it so much that 5 years ago when l saw it on a book auction site l bid up to £70 and got it! A genuine first edition Hardback print from 1989.
51BcRlJTM3L SL500 2

• Love
Reactions: S like suicide
M

MountKecske

Jun 4, 2021
My favorites are feminist theory and lesbian fiction. Everything by Andrea Dworkin and Carolyn Gage.Lesbian historical fiction books from Bold Strokes Books. Currently reading Spark by Catherine Friend, slowly reading my way through Justine Saracen's all published works. A science book or two a year, Michio Kaku's The Future of The Mind is one of my favorites.

• Hugs
Reactions: S like suicide
S like suicide

S like suicide

Enlightened
Apr 29, 2021
I first read this book when I was in my 20's and enjoyed it so much that 5 years ago when l saw it on a book auction site l bid up to £70 and got it! A genuine first edition Hardback print from 1989.
View attachment 70509
Wow that's amazing!!You have to care a lot about this book....I've read the storyline and I think it's a very interesting and exciting book!(:(:

Icona di Verificata con community
My favorites are feminist theory and lesbian fiction. Everything by Andrea Dworkin and Carolyn Gage.Lesbian historical fiction books from Bold Strokes Books. Currently reading Spark by Catherine Friend, slowly reading my way through Justine Saracen's all published works. A science book or two a year, Michio Kaku's The Future of The Mind is one of my favorites.
Wow ... a new world for me! :)Seem very interesting to me ... especially the first two authors you mentioned, I have never read anything about feminism but I must say that I am very interested, I think I would appreciate these two authors.And also the last book you mentioned ... a book on the potential of the mind ...love it!(:(:(:(:(:

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: MountKecske