D

deaded

Sep 10, 2023
Despite looking hard I've been unable to find SN within the UK. I don't particularly cherish the thought of police knocking on my door if I ordered it from abroad either.
I've heard that you can easily synthesise SN from a fine mixture of Sodium Nitrate, Potato starch and a blow torch. Supposedly this method leads to 30% pure SN if done correctly. Does anyone know if this method could be used, or if the 70% of other stuff would be toxic... or if there's a straightforward method to separate it or inactivation anything toxic except SN?
Thanks.

Reactions: d3j3ct3dl0s3r05
OrphicEnd

OrphicEnd

ㅤㅤ‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎
Aug 24, 2023
No one tries to synthesize poison or meds since it requires special tools, moreover that the sn must be very pure <95% according to Vizzy. And when we see how difficult it is to drink a drink, it is unimaginable to drink 4 glasses to have the same quantity as just one. (you have to drink 2 glass and not to vomit).
Try to use the search bar, I already saw a member who found a source at UK posting maybe you can ask.

squareminus1

squareminus1

Aug 12, 2023
Despite looking hard I've been unable to find SN within the UK. I don't particularly cherish the thought of police knocking on my door if I ordered it from abroad either.
I've heard that you can easily synthesise SN from a fine mixture of Sodium Nitrate, Potato starch and a blow torch. Supposedly this method leads to 30% pure SN if done correctly. Does anyone know if this method could be used, or if the 70% of other stuff would be toxic... or if there's a straightforward method to separate it or inactivation anything toxic except SN?
Thanks.
I think I remember reading in the methods that you need like lab/food grade quality SN which is in like the high 90% range purity, I think if you ingest 30% pure stuff even if you managed to ingest alot (therefor still getting a lethal dose) it would prpbably make you a lot more ill and likely to throw it back up.

Plus youd need to do the maths to find our what a lethal dose is at that purity, and that is assuming you know the synthesis worked correctly and you didn't just get something else.

I am UK too so I get your struggles but this method doesn't seem easy. Take everything I said with a pinch of salt though I am no expert
No one tries to synthesize poison or meds since it requires special tools, moreover that the sn must be very pure <95% according to Vizzy. And when we see how difficult it is to drink a drink, it is unimaginable to drink 4 glasses to have the same quantity as just one. (you have to drink 2 glass and not to vomit).
Try to use the search bar, I already saw a member who found a source at UK posting maybe you can ask.
I am pretty sure they found that thier requests to both companies got rejected. I think they found youd have to like make up a small buisness which has a need for SN to not get rejected, which I assume is pretty difficult to do. Getting sources from abroad is also risky from what I have read so far.

C

cerealandmilk

Sep 9, 2023
Gl hope you find what you're looking for

D

deaded

Sep 10, 2023
I think I remember reading in the methods that you need like lab/food grade quality SN which is in like the high 90% range purity, I think if you ingest 30% pure stuff even if you managed to ingest alot (therefor still getting a lethal dose) it would prpbably make you a lot more ill and likely to throw it back up.

Plus youd need to do the maths to find our what a lethal dose is at that purity, and that is assuming you know the synthesis worked correctly and you didn't just get something else.

I am UK too so I get your struggles but this method doesn't seem easy. Take everything I said with a pinch of salt though I am no expert
I really wouldn't be too surprised if there's a way of getting 90%+ purity relatively easily, but I'm no chemist. I guess I'll have to keep searching.

squareminus1

squareminus1

Aug 12, 2023
I really wouldn't be too surprised if there's a way of getting 90%+ purity relatively easily, but I'm no chemist. I guess I'll have to keep searching.
I am actually a chemsit lol. I'm mastering in Analytical Chemistry so I only have a basic knowledge of undergrad inorganic synthesis, to my knowledge in the sysnthesis experiments I done sometimes getting such a high purity from like initial synthisis steps is just physically not possible, like 30% purity might be a "good" yield for a given method.

There might be like purification methods such as recrystalisation actually, that could let you increase purity but youd maybe have to see what yield you get. Often what seems like tonnes of unpurified product can boil down to small amounts when purified to a hihh degree. You could maybe research into recrystalisation methods though, in theory if you can get a good solvent it could probably just be done through like coffee filters if you worked fast (we sometimes use fancy vacuum filtration techniques in the lab), you can google the method and that'll make sense. Again I very well could be talking out my ass though I always hated synthesis experiments.

Also one more thing I remembered after commenting the first time, I think I remember reading SN is pretty air sensitive, like it turns back to sodium nitrate if exposed to air for long enough, just something you might need to consider if you look more into this. Chemistry is hard lol.

Reactions: Praestat_Mori
D

deaded

Sep 10, 2023
I am actually a chemsit lol. I'm mastering in Analytical Chemistry so I only have a basic knowledge of undergrad inorganic synthesis, to my knowledge in the sysnthesis experiments I done sometimes getting such a high purity from like initial synthisis steps is just physically not possible, like 30% purity might be a "good" yield for a given method.

There might be like purification methods such as recrystalisation actually, that could let you increase purity but youd maybe have to see what yield you get. Often what seems like tonnes of unpurified product can boil down to small amounts when purified to a hihh degree. You could maybe research into recrystalisation methods though, in theory if you can get a good solvent it could probably just be done through like coffee filters if you worked fast (we sometimes use fancy vacuum filtration techniques in the lab), you can google the method and that'll make sense. Again I very well could be talking out my ass though I always hated synthesis experiments.

Also one more thing I remembered after commenting the first time, I think I remember reading SN is pretty air sensitive, like it turns back to sodium nitrate if exposed to air for long enough, just something you might need to consider if you look more into this. Chemistry is hard lol.
yes, I was coming to the same conclusion... it is difficult. What about one litre of 2M NANO2 aqueous solution? How many grams of NANO2 would that contain?

squareminus1

squareminus1

Aug 12, 2023

yes, I was coming to the same conclusion... it is difficult. What about one litre of 2M NANO2 aqueous solution? How many grams of NANO2 would that contain?
Hey, i just done a quick calculation, assuming I know what I am doing ~135g of SN are in 1 L of 2 M solution. I'll show my calculation below so you can check but I think it's pretty simple.

The unit M actually stands for mol/ L and you only have 1 L so using the equation...
n = concentration x V
You simple get
n = 2 mol/L x 1 L
n = 2
n stands for number of moles to convert number of moles to mass you need the molar mass (GFM) of your conpound, according to wikipedia for SN this id 68.9953 g/mol
Standard units are Kilograms but since you probably want the answers in grams I am just going to use grams as my unit in the equation...

n = m/GFM
2 mol = m/68.9953 g/mol
m = 137.9806 g

No idea how that lines up with lethal dosage but I know that if you get a solution in that high of a concentration you likely need to dilute it to consume it, wont change how much is in there (providing you use all the original solution) should just make it less likely to come back up.
Hope this helps at all

• Informative
Reactions: Praestat_Mori and Larysa
D

deaded

Sep 10, 2023

Hey, i just done a quick calculation, assuming I know what I am doing ~135g of SN are in 1 L of 2 M solution. I'll show my calculation below so you can check but I think it's pretty simple.

The unit M actually stands for mol/ L and you only have 1 L so using the equation...
n = concentration x V
You simple get
n = 2 mol/L x 1 L
n = 2
n stands for number of moles to convert number of moles to mass you need the molar mass (GFM) of your conpound, according to wikipedia for SN this id 68.9953 g/mol
Standard units are Kilograms but since you probably want the answers in grams I am just going to use grams as my unit in the equation...

n = m/GFM
2 mol = m/68.9953 g/mol
m = 137.9806 g

No idea how that lines up with lethal dosage but I know that if you get a solution in that high of a concentration you likely need to dilute it to consume it, wont change how much is in there (providing you use all the original solution) should just make it less likely to come back up.
Hope this helps at all
Thanks. Guess that's me sorted then.

squareminus1

squareminus1

Aug 12, 2023
Thanks. Guess that's me sorted then.
If you have DMs then if you could DM me the source that would be appreciated. But yea just be careful where you are buying it so they aren't like gonna be suspicious. If you can't/ aren't willing to share the source then I totally understand. Either way have a great day!

Larysa

Larysa

Student
Apr 11, 2023
Sodium Nitrate, Potato starch and a blow torch

I now want this as my new user name. It sounds nails.

May be we need to educate ourselves in the UK and start our own lab. Atm I'm hoping to get RCs through customs. I may be extremely naive… 🤷🏻‍♀️

ETA: oops, I missed the analytical chemist bringing a reality check. Lol. Cheers, @squareminus1 👍

Last edited:
D

deaded

Sep 10, 2023
I couldn't share for a whole heap of reasons. The main issue i suspect most have is that most search engines block lots of the results, you just need to be inventive and Brave about the search terms you use.