RainAndSadness

RainAndSadness

Administrator
Jun 12, 2018
I have missed this headline, it's from July actually but it's still newsworthy in my opinion as it marks another milestone in the fight for assisted suicide as a fundamental human right.

Here the situation. A doctor, Erika Preisig, was charged back in 2018 with potentially premeditated or negligent homicide for helping a mentally ill woman carry out assisted suicide without obtaining (ususally necessary) independant psychiatric reports first that would prove her mental capacity. The Swiss Federal Supreme Court has acquitted her now in a groundbreaking court ruling and this could set the framework for less restrictive assisted suicides in the future and therefore would make it easier for people suffering from mental illness to end their life in Switzerland. In the future, a psychiatric report might not be necessarily required to help mentally ill people commit suicide.
In the opinion of the court, talking to that woman, studying her medical records, talking to relatives and obtaining a second opinion was enough to assume mental capacity. So even in the absence of a psychiatric report the doctor had enough reason to assume that this woman, who suffered from an incurable and constant psychiatric impairment, was mentally competent. And this confirms what I've been saying all along in this forum by the way: mental illness does not indicate lack of mental capacity.

I quote from the article:
Source

So while other countries still struggle to include non-terminally ill people in the process of assisted suicide or legalizing assisted suicide for anyone in the first place, Switzerland took it one step further, shaping the vision for a more progressive future.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: haibane, AllCatsAreGrey, floralheaddress and 15 others
sorrowful

sorrowful

My exhaustion knows no end
Feb 13, 2023
And the UK is just going backwards, backwards, backwards…

Reactions: haibane, 0000000000000, Life'sA6itch and 2 others
Lost cherry

Lost cherry

Student
Oct 21, 2023
I know for clinic Pegasus in Switzerlan, euthanasia is allowed , but cost 10.000e and is only for old people who are uncurable disease

• Hugs
Reactions: Life'sA6itch and RainAndSadness
L

Life'sA6itch

Student
Oct 29, 2023
I know for clinic Pegasus in Switzerlan, euthanasia is allowed , but cost 10.000e and is only for old people who are uncurable disease
I'd looked into two clinics in Switzerland over a year ago and their focus on physical issues/diseases made me even more depressed

• Hugs
Reactions: RainAndSadness
B

bluebirds

Jun 15, 2023
but if the court ruled in favor of Dr Erika (from lifecircle) , why did she stop taking applications since last year !

Did anyone try emailing lifecircle recently ?