nightshade00

nightshade00

living just for dying
Jan 24, 2023
I know I've seen these statistics before. It might have been in the DSM 5. It was a list of different mental illnesses and the rate of suicide for each. Then it listed the suicide rates for people with specific combinations of conditions (which were significantly higher than those with just one).

Does anyone know where to find this info? I'll do more searching for it tonight. I have a copy of the DSM 5 I can look through.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: アホペンギン, PurpleParadigm and Twistedliesinside
nightshade00

nightshade00

living just for dying
Jan 24, 2023
I looked through the DSM 5 and found the following info (there might be more that I missed). Not quite was I was looking for, but it's interesting nonetheless.
DiagnosisSuicide Attempt RiskSuicide Success Risk
Schizophrenia20%5-6%
Bipolar I Disorder36%"at least 15 times that of the general population"
Bipolar II Disorder32%not specified
Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder"up to one-quarter of individuals with OCD"not specified
Dissociative Identity Disorder70%not specified

I also found this information from the Maine DHHS. "SMR" is basically how much higher the suicide rate is compared to the general population (e.g. those with Major Depression are 20 times more likely to die from suicide than the average person).

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Aww..
Reactions: letmegetout, アホペンギン, CTBookOfLife and 4 others
Unwr!tten

Unwr!tten

Saltier than SN
Apr 10, 2023
I looked through the DSM 5 and found the following info. Not quite was I was looking for, but it's interesting nonetheless.
Schizophrenia20%5-6%
Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder"up to one-quarter of individuals with OCD"not specified

I also found this information from the Maine DHHS. "SMR" is basically how much higher the suicide rate is compared to the general population (e.g. those with Major Depression are 20 times more likely to die from suicide than the average person).

View attachment 110703
Oh. Wow.

i have Diagnosed OCD and Bipolar II so my risk of attempt is even higher, not to mention my other man6 diagnoses.

nightshade00

nightshade00

living just for dying
Jan 24, 2023
Oh. Wow.

i have Diagnosed OCD and Bipolar II so my risk of attempt is even higher, not to mention my other man6 diagnoses.
I also have multiple diagnoses, which is why I was specifically interested in finding studies that give rates for specific combinations.

Reactions: squirley
A

AerialBoundaries

The Songs of Distant Earth.
Sep 18, 2022
I looked through the DSM 5 and found the following info. Not quite was I was looking for, but it's interesting nonetheless.
Schizophrenia20%5-6%

View attachment 110703
I pretty much have all of those. It's shocking. I'm surprised autism isn't there.

• Hugs
Reactions: CTBookOfLife
PurpleParadigm

PurpleParadigm

The glow is an illusion
Mar 22, 2023
These are some frightening numbers. I'll look through pubmed on my way to work today, need to sleep now.

nightshade00

nightshade00

living just for dying
Jan 24, 2023
I pretty much have all of those. It's shocking. I'm surprised autism isn't there.
That would be interesting to know. I was also wondering if ADHD has a higher suicide rate than average.

Reactions: AerialBoundaries
A

AerialBoundaries

The Songs of Distant Earth.
Sep 18, 2022
That would be interesting to know. I was also wondering if ADHD has a higher suicide rate than average.
I always had the thoughts, but when I found out I was on the spectrum, in my early 20s, the thoughts intensified. I gave up on life at that point.

CTBookOfLife

CTBookOfLife

ᴶᵘˢᵗ ᵃ ˢʰᵉˡˡ ᵒᶠ ᵃ ᵇᵒᵈʸ ʷⁱᵗʰ ᵐᵃⁿʸ ᵐⁱⁿᵈˢ
Aug 5, 2023
I looked through the DSM 5 and found the following info (there might be more that I missed). Not quite was I was looking for, but it's interesting nonetheless.
Schizophrenia20%5-6%

View attachment 110703
Me with DID, OCD (which my only attempt was to escape), BPD, EDNOS, and a panic disorder: 💀

• Hugs
Reactions: LoiteringClouds