bubo

bubo

Jul 14, 2022
My apologies if this post mimics a lot of what others may already think, or what others may have already spoken of/said before. I think with a topic such as this, it can bring up some very interesting discussion points on suicide prevention. My English is also somewhat faulty, my apologies for that as well.

In recent times things such as "suicide prevention" or "suicide awareness" have skyrocketed drastically, and tools to commit suicide have become increasingly less effective, or less common. Personally, I think if things such as resources to commit suicide, or knowledge on suicide was more readily available then less people would commit suicide rather than more people, but instead suicide is often treated as a "taboo" subject, a "he who shall not be named" sort of thing. Of course, that is how I've viewed it and others thoughts on the matter may be drastically differing.

A large part of all this "suicide prevention" sort of things I feel a huge amount of the people on this forum, or just suicidal humans to begin with can probably agree with the sentiment that most of it is very ineffective, or though the term is extremely uncritical in a constructive sense; "cringe"? A lot of suicide prevention things are simply just giving out hotline numbers, which I feel we can all collectively agree is beyond a faulted method of helping basically anyone.

All of what is spoken of beforehand also does not get into the fact that it is simply extremely selfish, and largely i'd even use the adjective "inhumane": to see someone else who is clearly suffering, someone who has made up their mind and made the decision "if i do this i will be happier, I have thought this through and it is the best and only course of action left for me." and to see this and go "I do not want you to go through with that. I want you to continue to suffer, and I want you to continue to suffer for an agonizing long amount of time as well, and I want this because it benefits me in some way." Is basically the very definition of selfishness, is it not?

That is however all the well formed thought I have on the matter, at the moment. I'd love to hear other people's opinions on the subject, absolutely anything you have to say at all I'd love to hear. Thank you for your time.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: silent star, Daxter_87, NoLoveNoHope and 8 others
voc_89

voc_89

Experienced
Apr 10, 2023
i understand that the powers that be try to come up with ways to prevent it. But imo the talk lines don't do it for me. Even pyschologist/counsellors don't do it for me.... this forum has though. And thats because i genuinely feel that whoever is reading or responding is coming from a place of 'yh i get u and i genuinely want to help' rather than 'this is a job' or 'my good deed for the day' mentality i get from the traditional outlets

• Love
Reactions: Archness, bubo, TimeToPackUp and 1 other person
TimeToPackUp

TimeToPackUp

Apr 28, 2023
My apologies if this post mimics a lot of what others may already think, or what others may have already spoken of/said before. I think with a topic such as this, it can bring up some very interesting discussion points on suicide prevention. My English is also somewhat faulty, my apologies for that as well.

In recent times things such as "suicide prevention" or "suicide awareness" have skyrocketed drastically, and tools to commit suicide have become increasingly less effective, or less common. Personally, I think if things such as resources to commit suicide, or knowledge on suicide was more readily available then less people would commit suicide rather than more people, but instead suicide is often treated as a "taboo" subject, a "he who shall not be named" sort of thing. Of course, that is how I've viewed it and others thoughts on the matter may be drastically differing.

A large part of all this "suicide prevention" sort of things I feel a huge amount of the people on this forum, or just suicidal humans to begin with can probably agree with the sentiment that most of it is very ineffective, or though the term is extremely uncritical in a constructive sense; "cringe"? A lot of suicide prevention things are simply just giving out hotline numbers, which I feel we can all collectively agree is beyond a faulted method of helping basically anyone.

All of what is spoken of beforehand also does not get into the fact that it is simply extremely selfish, and largely i'd even use the adjective "inhumane": to see someone else who is clearly suffering, someone who has made up their mind and made the decision "if i do this i will be happier, I have thought this through and it is the best and only course of action left for me." and to see this and go "I do not want you to go through with that. I want you to continue to suffer, and I want you to continue to suffer for an agonizing long amount of time as well, and I want this because it benefits me in some way." Is basically the very definition of selfishness, is it not?

That is however all the well formed thought I have on the matter, at the moment. I'd love to hear other people's opinions on the subject, absolutely anything you have to say at all I'd love to hear. Thank you for your time.
I agree and this is very well said. Taking away the choice just makes life a prison. Based on values that are forced on us. I think suicide prevention involves a lot of gas lighting.

Reactions: bubo
Eternal Bliss

Eternal Bliss

May 17, 2023
They've been raised their entire lives believing that suicide is bad and needs to be prevented at all costs, they never had their boundaries pushed to the point that suicide would become their only option and the very few who have and got out of there did so because they had a large support network. They literally can't comprehend why anyone would want to ctb, it's simply not in their coding

• Love
Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, IndyAna, NoLoveNoHope and 3 others
jazzcat

jazzcat

dark eyed and miserable
May 19, 2023
I think it's a complicated issue, I agree that there should be painless methods available for those who have made up their mind, but it's the most drastic decision that you can ever make, and not all suicidal people are the same, maybe you personally can't relate but there are people out there that would change their mind and choose to live if they get access to therapy or better living conditions
I really do get why it can be frustrating, calling a suicide hotline or being institutionalized wouldn't help me either, but if it helps someone else I can't fully say it's worthless

• Informative
Reactions: Archness, NoLoveNoHope, bubo and 1 other person
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
Just the idea that suicide needs to prevented disgusts me personally, suicide isn't something to be prevented but instead it's a personal decision, none of us are obligated to stay here and suffer.

And it's certainly inhumane trying to make people prisoners to this existence, it's like many people forget that we are all just going to die anyway and the only comfort for lots of people lies in death, I just wish there was acceptance towards the fact that not everyone wants to stay here, those who wish to be gone should just be able to exit in peace without risks and complications.

Reactions: Arihman, NoLoveNoHope and bubo
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
It is and it is insidious under the guise of 'help'. This toxic kind of 'help' does not but perpetuate perpetual suffering for individuals and people who otherwise wish to opt out of life. The way it is implemented is also disgusting as it solely focuses on just preventing the one act while (temporarily) stripping an individual of their civil liberties, freedom, bodily autonomy, and dignity. In the US, especially, they also stick the medical bill for the unwanted services that are imposed on the individual and yet the individual is responsible for footing (an unjust) bill. The masses, the State, and the institutions surrounding society seem to sanction (and defend) this kind of practice, which is utterly disgusting.

Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay? and bubo