R

Realityisawful

Student
Apr 25, 2019
I have been reading up on laws related to assisted suicide. In my state, this is the punishment:

"Anyone who "intentionally aids or solicits another to commit suicide" may be charged with a second-degree misdemeanor (one to two years in prison and a $5,000 fine). This may include procuring the necessary supplies or confirming the plan through email or other communications, but without actually going through with the plan and attempting the suicide.

If the person's actions actually cause a suicide, or even a failed attempt, then the charges are bumped up to a second-degree felony (up to 10 years in prison and $25,000 in fines)."

What I am unsure about is if this counts if the person aiding suicide is also suicidal. Or, in other words, if both people in the pact are suicidal. I have been trying to find information on this, but have not found reliable answers. Some people on here have said that if that is the case, both of us would just end up in a mental hospital for a week or so, or worst case scenario, suicide watch for a few days. (That is assuming if both of us fail the attempt or do not go through with it and report ourselves to 911.)

G

Ghost2211

Archangel
Jan 20, 2020
I assume that depends on local laws, each person would be wise to do their research.

Deleted member 19654

Deleted member 19654

Working towards recovery.
Jul 9, 2020
I don't know how it works over in the states but in the UK, people that survived suicide pacts have been arrested or charged.

S

Sk1n1M1n

Experienced
Jan 29, 2020
I am not sure if you mean arrested as committing a crime, more like detained in police custody for their own protection

R

Realityisawful

Student
Apr 25, 2019
I am not sure if you mean arrested as committing a crime, more like detained in police custody for their own protection

Yes. Sorry for not being specific. What I am asking is if both people are suicidal, and they both fail or do not go through with the attempt, and end up checking themselves into the hospital, if they would both be charged with long term prison sentences (or if only one person in the pact was over 21, and only that person would end up being charged with the prison sentence)

Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Always was, is, and always shall be.
Jun 22, 2020
I have been reading up on laws related to assisted suicide. In my state, this is the punishment:

"Anyone who "intentionally aids or solicits another to commit suicide" may be charged with a second-degree misdemeanor (one to two years in prison and a $5,000 fine). This may include procuring the necessary supplies or confirming the plan through email or other communications, but without actually going through with the plan and attempting the suicide.

If the person's actions actually cause a suicide, or even a failed attempt, then the charges are bumped up to a second-degree felony (up to 10 years in prison and $25,000 in fines)."

What I am unsure about is if this counts if the person aiding suicide is also suicidal. Or, in other words, if both people in the pact are suicidal. I have been trying to find information on this, but have not found reliable answers. Some people on here have said that if that is the case, both of us would just end up in a mental hospital for a week or so, or worst case scenario, suicide watch for a few days. (That is assuming if both of us fail the attempt or do not go through with it and report ourselves to 911.)
I'm sure in the US they would be charged with a crime. Whether or not they go someplace to be locked up is up to a judge.

• Wow
Reactions: _Minsk