Giraffey

Giraffey

Your Orange Crush
Mar 7, 2020
Back when I first got into the film industry (at the tender age of 18) I teamed up with a friend at the time and we wrote a short screenplay set in a dystopian future where suicide was really $uicide. The script centred on a lowly employee working at a company that wrote suicide notes for people before they killed themselves. I'd actually completely forgotten about it but something on here jogged my memory this evening and I went looking and actually found the script (not as bad as I remember actually), along with a bundle of research we did.

Funny, even when I wasn't suicidal I as subtly still thinking about suicide... I have some money budgeted for next year for my own personal projects (once this virus crisis has blown over) so I'm thinking of finally putting that little film together.

Anyway, rediscovering all of that got me thinking about what a future in which $uicide is big business would actually look like, would it be a force for good or a terrible evil? Would there be suicide booths or suicide bars with menus for you to order your chosen death, would it cost extra for certain methods to the extent that it became a kind of class divide? As much as I would love suicide to be more accessible in the future (a move that I think would paradoxically decrease the suicide rate actually), whenever I picture such a future I can't help but imagine it as some capitalist-industrialist dystopia - ala Blade Runner...

Anyone got a different take?

• Hugs
Reactions: enuff, Brink, puppy9 and 2 others
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
@HadEnough1974 was going to open a suicide hotel.

Reactions: woxihuanni and HadEnough1974
Giraffey

Giraffey

Your Orange Crush
Mar 7, 2020

That's an interesting concept, how would it work? - Would it be a place where you could stay in peace, no interruptions, no questions asked. Or would there be specific facilities to assist you in your terminal endeavours?

Perhaps you'd have to cross a gruelling assault course to enter the hotel which would surely slow down any overeager paramedics rushing to the scene to 'save the day'...

Reactions: HadEnough1974
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Jan 11, 2020
Put hotel in search with that member as the user. I contributed some ideas, like a place for people to...hang out. It was actually a really interesting OP started by someone else with a link about the history of suicides in hotels.

Reactions: HadEnough1974, Dr Iron Arc and Giraffey
Giraffey

Giraffey

Your Orange Crush
Mar 7, 2020
Shall do that now GPE', thanks for the heads up. Just from your description, it sounds like it was actually a very positive place, a sort of physical incarnation of the SS community - but I stand to be corrected.

Edit:
Got it:
Omg I found my calling.

I'm gonna start a suicide hotel where people can order their Sn via room service!!

Everyone gets on the do not disturb list by default.

Oh and instead of maps and post cards on display, "sample suicide notes" and a guide on how to plan your funeral.

Oh and 15% discount for all ss members, use promo code ss.
https://sanctioned-suicide.net/threads/found-interesting-story-on-motel-suicide.44620/#post-810508

Last edited:
Reactions: enuff, HadEnough1974, Dr Iron Arc and 1 other person
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
Anyway, rediscovering all of that got me thinking about what a future in which $uicide is big business would actually look like, would it be a force for good or a terrible evil? Would there be suicide booths or suicide bars with menus for you to order your chosen death, would it cost extra for certain methods to the extent that it became a kind of class divide? As much as I would love suicide to be more accessible in the future (a move that I think would paradoxically decrease the suicide rate actually), whenever I picture such a future I can't help but imagine it as some capitalist-industrialist dystopia - ala Blade Runner...
I have speculated before that the only way for society to overall become more accepting of suicide is to make the majority of them all miserable enough to consider it. You might also have to give the elites an incentive to welcome it from the lower classes (overpopulation maybe?). A dystopia like you mention is certainly one way to bring inventions like suicide booths about or at least allow for better access to better suicide pills though. In the Futurama world, they have suicide booths and they also force people over the age of 165 to "die" and basically spend the rest of their existence in a virtual retirement home because if they're too old they're a waste of resources. The population is in the hundreds of billions though so we'd need to make a lot more people than we have now at the very least.

Reactions: Giraffey
H

HadEnough1974

I try to be funny...
Jan 14, 2020

Omg @GoodPersonEffed mentioned me, it's an honour, like getting a mention from Oprah. Thank you for advertising my suicide hotel. Don't forget, 20 percent off is you use the promo code "sanctioned suicide". ;)

• Hugs
Reactions: Skathon, Giraffey and GoodPersonEffed
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Jan 11, 2020
Omg @GoodPersonEffed mentioned me, it's an honour, like getting a mention from Oprah. Thank you for advertising my suicide hotel. Don't forget, 20 percent off is you use the promo code "sanctioned suicide". ;)

4ftior

H

HadEnough1974

I try to be funny...
Jan 14, 2020

Omg @GoodPersonEffed you made my day I'm literally laughing out loud and I've got tears in my eyes. You made me laugh and cry!! Now thanks to you I have Oprah Winfrey promoting my suicide hotel!! Who's next? Dr. Phil? Dr. Oz? I can't wait!!
Or... how about... a "suicide shop"? We've got sex shops with sex toys, why not s suicide shop? Omg this video is going to get me banned!!

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: GoodPersonEffed
Giraffey

Giraffey

Your Orange Crush
Mar 7, 2020
I have speculated before that the only way for society to overall become more accepting of suicide is to make the majority of them all miserable enough to consider it. You might also have to give the elites an incentive to welcome it from the lower classes (overpopulation maybe?). A dystopia like you mention is certainly one way to bring inventions like suicide booths about or at least allow for better access to better suicide pills though. In the Futurama world, they have suicide booths and they also force people over the age of 165 to "die" and basically spend the rest of their existence in a virtual retirement home because if they're too old they're a waste of resources. The population is in the hundreds of billions though so we'd need to make a lot more people than we have now at the very least.

Some very interesting thoughts there @Dr Iron Arc, I hate the thought of anybody else being miserable let alone an entire society miserable enough to trigger a revolution of the cultural zeitgeist on suicide, but I also find myself struggling to think of an alternative... If eugenics ever became a mainstream issue then I think suicide would go hand-in-hand with that; the lower-value humans would simply be incentived to 'self-terminate' through some kind of cultural conditioning 'for the greater good'.

I love Futurama though and the idea of the virtual reality retirement home has always fascinated me. I think I wrote elsewhere recently that given the choice between being put into a dreamlike state of suspended animation (or virtual reality) where I was free to live in what would essentially be my own 'perfect vision of the world'; versus ending my life, I would choose the former. I can't see it being within my (potentially limited) lifetime, but you never know.

Interesting question though, I wonder how many people (if given the choice) would pick living in a fantasy world of their own creation, free of pain and suffering; over the alternative of suicide?

Don't forget, 20 percent off is you use the promo code "sanctioned suicide". ;)

Will you have a loyalty scheme? You get a stamp on your card each visit, and if you get five stamps then the hotel maid assassinates you free of charge (unless there's a Do Not Disturb sign on your door...)

• Love
Reactions: Dr Iron Arc
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
Interesting question though, I wonder how many people (if given the choice) would pick living in a fantasy world of their own creation, free of pain and suffering; over the alternative of suicide?
Sign me up for this lol, I would absolutely choose this if I can stay there permanently. Too bad we're not there yet.

• Love
Reactions: Skathon and Giraffey
H

HadEnough1974

I try to be funny...
Jan 14, 2020
Some very interesting thoughts there @Dr Iron Arc, I hate the thought of anybody else being miserable let alone an entire society miserable enough to trigger a revolution of the cultural zeitgeist on suicide, but I also find myself struggling to think of an alternative... If eugenics ever became a mainstream issue then I think suicide would go hand-in-hand with that; the lower-value humans would simply be incentived to 'self-terminate' through some kind of cultural conditioning 'for the greater good'.

I love Futurama though and the idea of the virtual reality retirement home has always fascinated me. I think I wrote elsewhere recently that given the choice between being put into a dreamlike state of suspended animation (or virtual reality) where I was free to live in what would essentially be my own 'perfect vision of the world'; versus ending my life, I would choose the former. I can't see it being within my (potentially limited) lifetime, but you never know.

Will you have a loyalty scheme? You get a stamp on your card each visit, and if you get five stamps then the hotel maid assassinates you free of charge (unless there's a Do Not Disturb sign on your door...)

@SlowMo there would be only one visit. The purpose of the suicide hotel is to check in and everything you need to ctb would be available to you. As @GoodPersonEffed mentioned, a place just to "hang out" was added to the design and it's being reviewed by the architects and design committee. Also included in the design is an indoor swimming pool with no lifeguard and no life jackets, open 24/7 for those who prefer the drowning method.

Oh and let's not forget the indoor barbecue room for those who prefer the co method.

Again, I'd like to thank Oprah for her endorsement!! Everyone gets a promo code!

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Love
Reactions: enuff, Skathon, Giraffey and 2 others
Giraffey

Giraffey

Your Orange Crush
Mar 7, 2020
Just one teensy tiny question @HadEnough1974, from an interested guest (me) - what happens to the... *cough* bodies? And perhaps more importantly, who gets the thankless task of cleaning the guillotine room? I guess you could just hire one of the cleaners from a sex club who is used to cleaning up messes...

Reactions: Skathon
H

HadEnough1974

I try to be funny...
Jan 14, 2020
Just one teensy tiny question @HadEnough1974, from an interested guest (me) - what happens to the... *cough* bodies? And perhaps more importantly, who gets the thankless task of cleaning the guillotine room? I guess you could just hire one of the cleaners from a sex club who is used to cleaning up messes...

The bodies are either donated to the American Necrophile Association or the Cannibal society of America.

As for the cleanup crew, we just open the cockroach box (we keep them starved on purpose) and the roaches eat everything up. Keeps our operational costs at a minimum.

Reactions: Skathon
Giraffey

Giraffey

Your Orange Crush
Mar 7, 2020
The bodies are either donated to the American Necrophile Association or the Cannibal society of America.

As for the cleanup crew, we just open the cockroach box (we keep them starved on purpose) and the roaches eat everything up. Keeps our operational costs at a minimum.

Part of me is still thinking the American Necrophile Association must actually exist somewhere, not sure about the cannibals although I know Canadian Cannibals Carrion Couriers have a service where they will remove the body on site and ship it back to their restaurant/headquarters - all included in the price. Maybe worth having that as an option on booking.

* Extra towels?
* Harbour view?
* Corpse: Shag or Snack?

H

HadEnough1974

I try to be funny...
Jan 14, 2020
Part of me is still thinking the American Necrophile Association must actually exist somewhere, not sure about the cannibals although I know Canadian Cannibals Carrion Couriers have a service where they will remove the body on site and ship it back to their restaurant/headquarters - all included in the price. Maybe worth having that as an option on booking.

* Extra towels?
* Harbour view?
* Corpse: Shag or Snack?

The Canadian Cannibals Carrion Couriers is something worth looking into. Dipping dead bodies into maple syrup before eating is a thing up there in Canada I hear. That and poutine!!

Giraffey

Giraffey

Your Orange Crush
Mar 7, 2020
The Canadian Cannibals Carrion Couriers is something worth looking into. Dipping dead bodies into maple syrup before eating is a thing up there in Canada I hear. That and poutine!!

Blimey, this business proposal got real dark, real quickly! I'm beginning to imagine the Suicide Hotel being taken over by the CCCCCC - Canadian Cannibals Carrion, Cannabis & Cantaloupe Couriers (they went through some odd mergers...) turning the place into some kind of H. H. Holmes murder castle :pfff: They're pretty shrewd those cannibals, they cut out the middle-man (then ate him)...

Reactions: HadEnough1974
H

HadEnough1974

I try to be funny...
Jan 14, 2020
Blimey, this business proposal got real dark, real quickly! I'm beginning to imagine the Suicide Hotel being taken over by the CCCCCC - Canadian Cannibals Carrion, Cannabis & Cantaloupe Couriers (they went through some odd mergers...) turning the place into some kind of H. H. Holmes murder castle :pfff: They're pretty shrewd those cannibals, they cut out the middle-man (then ate him)...

I was unaware of the mergers. As for the cannibals, they are shrewd indeed. One of the middlemen were chopped up and fed to homeless people in a homeless shelter. Special spaghetti sauce, chunky style.

Are we off topic? Guests looking at these posts and scratching their heads!!

Hey, if you're suicidal, at least have a sense of humour about it, or at least try.

• Wow
Reactions: Giraffey
Giraffey

Giraffey

Your Orange Crush
Mar 7, 2020
I was unaware of the mergers. As for the cannibals, they are shrewd indeed. One of the middlemen were chopped up and fed to homeless people in a homeless shelter. Special spaghetti sauce, chunky style.

Are we off topic? Guests looking at these posts and scratching their heads!!

Hey, if you're suicidal, at least have a sense of humour about it, or at least try.

Blimey, thanks for the heads-up about the cannibals! Looks like we'll need to stipulate in our job application that any middlemen should be "totally inedible". We'll probably face a couple of discrimination lawsuits from the Delicious Humans Looking 4 Work Society but I we can handle it, every new startup has some issues to overcome right? If they want the job that bad then they'll just have to douse themselves in grease and salt. Todays modern cannibals are far more health-conscious than the bone-crunchers of yesteryear, too much sodium in your dessert de derriere is a no-no.

I reckon we need an official countdown to mark the number of hours it will be before there's a post on some evangelical pro-life group announcing that Sanctioned Suicide has been taken over by "evil satanic heathen cannibals who are raising money to start a suicide murder death kill hotel" (these particular pro-lifers are SEO savvy)...