Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
I'm a history buff and I've even written a couple of history books, and I'm suicidal and has thought much about the right to die at one's own terms, so I thought I'd have a look at suicide in one of my favourite eras, that of the Roman Empire.

It may come as a surprise, but the view on suicide was considerably more liberal in Roman society than in ours. It was not regarded as a crime or a sin and often seen as justifiable and rational. However incredible it may sound, it was basically sanctioned by the state too. A suicidal Roman could appeal to the Senate and receive hemlock if the reasons for suicide were deemed sound.

The many famous Romans who died by their own hand without being judged is as good evidence as any of the liberal view on suicide in the Roman Empire. A small sample:

• Marcus Junius Brutus, known as Brute in English. Reason: to avoid capture and disgrace. Method: sword held by two of his soldiers.

• Marcus Antonius, known as Mark Anthony in English. Reason: to avoid capture and disgrace. Method: sword. Almost botched the attempt and died in Cleopatra's arms.

• Marcus Porcius Cato Uticensis, better known as Cato the Younger. Reason: to avoid capture and disgrace. Method: sword. Botched the attempt and had to pull out his bowels to die.

• Seneca the Younger. Reason: forced suicide ordered by Nero. Method: severing of several veins and unknown poison, possibly hemlock. Drawn-out death.

• Nero Claudius Caesar Augustus Germanicus, better known as emperor Nero. Reason: to avoid a gruesome and humiliating execution. Method: ordered slave to kill him with a dagger.

• Marcus Otho Caesar Augustus, better known as emperor Otho. Reason: to avoid civil war. Method: dagger.

• Antonia Minor, better known as Antonia the Younger or simply Antonia. Reason: distraught by her son Caligula's insanity. Method: unknown poison, possibly hemlock.

• Euphrates the Stoic. Reason: old age and illness. Method: hemlock.

However, there were three groups of people who weren't allowed to commit suicide. All three of these exceptions were based on economic considerations.

• A person accused of a capital crime was not allowed to commit suicide and thus escape sentence and punishment, which often included confiscation of assets and property. If he, because it was usually a he, committed suicide anyway, his heirs were deprived of their heritage.

• A soldier was not allowed to commit suicide either as he received training from and served under the state. A soldier who did so was treated as a deserter; he was disgraced, and all of his belongings were confiscated. He was allowed and often even encouraged to commit suicide to avoid being taken prisoner by the enemy, though.

• Slaves were not allowed to commit suicide either as they were seen as property. If a slave did so within six months of being purchased, their master was entitled to a full refund from their previous master.

Back in those days, people obviously had a completely different mindset, but it's interesting that they were more pro-choice than people are today.

• Love
Reactions: virginiawoolf, Blue Rose, Silvermorning and 9 others
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
Very interesting read. I know the romans were much more liberal about alot of things so it doesn't surprise me that suicide is one of them. Thank you for taking the time to share this!

Reactions: Sensei
so tired or manic

so tired or manic

Arcanist
Jun 12, 2020
it wouldn't surprise me if people went to the colosseum to die

• Wow
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
Interesting, thanks. Even though I dug up loads of Roman sites, I never really studied their history much, only Romano British stuff.
I wonder if a pagan outlook gave a more forgiving view of suicide?

Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
I wonder if a pagan outlook gave a more forgiving view of suicide?

Most probably. Christianity has always condemned suicide, and the same goes for Judaism and Islam.

Reactions: Deleted member 1465
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
I think Roman paganism may have been quite non judgemental. The gods are seen in small everyday things as well as larger more epic considerations. Neither good not evil and prone to their own alliances and arguments.

Reactions: Sensei and deleted