existenceis123abc

existenceis123abc

Aug 22, 2024
Hi all, I'm an undergraduate studying philosophy at university. A number of Nihilist/Philosophical pessimist works have had a bad effect on me and i cant reason my way out of it. Am i fucking crazy or what??

• Hugs
Reactions: BoulderSoWhat, etherealspring, Forever Sleep and 4 others
Plentiful_Despair

Plentiful_Despair

Student
Aug 23, 2024
I fucking love your profile picture. Rust Cohle is a legend.

I don't think wanting to commit suicide because of philosophy is "crazy", honestly I am confused about how many people can kill themselves without any deeper philosophical reasoning. I know why I want to die. This whole world is so insanely evil, in the most primal sense, without a necessary focus on individuals. If you truly look at life, every sentient being suffers, just to die all the same. Sure, there are happy moments, I had them too, plenty of them, but the happiness that we experience is just a fulfilling of a deprivation, of a craving, for some short period of time. For example, I hate how my body desires food every day. I don't want to eat, just to shit out toxic waste, to do it all over again. I don't want to drink just to piss. I don't want to work just to have a imaginary currency made out of dead wood. I don't want to have sex just to fulfill the insane desire to bring more life into this hellish place. I don't want to listen to music just so I can't hear these thoughts. I don't want to become old just to develop illness. I don't want to look at "cute animals", knowing full well how they tear each other apart and feast upon their babies if they are undisturbed in nature, creating a million unknown massacres every day.

Last edited:
Reactions: buyersremorse, existenceis123abc and sserafim
Alexei_Kirillov

Alexei_Kirillov

Missed my appointment with Death
Mar 9, 2024
Not crazy, there are plenty of people (including myself) who share similar views. With that said, the vast majority of those people don't actually end up committing suicide because at the end of the day, philosophy doesn't trounce biology. There usually has to be some other kind of "push" factor, namely acute suffering.

Reactions: buyersremorse, zengiraffe, Jarni and 2 others
Themogger

Themogger

Why so serious?
Jul 23, 2024
I always make a list of reasons (about 20) for whenever I make a big life decision and this is one of em for ctb. But philosophy as a sole reason for dying is pretty bold tbh

F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
It's an interesting question. Do you not think the desire to suicide is more driven by emotion though?

I feel like our emotions tend to influence what we look to absorb in this world. So, someone who feels very motivated with their goals in life- whatever they may be- career, sports, hobbies, travel, art- I doubt they would take much notice of nihilism- it would maybe be something other people think. But, to someone who's already feeling down, pessimistic, cynical, nihilism simply confirms that what they are feeling is correct. I think we often look for things to reinforce how we already feel.

That's not to say what we feel is right or wrong. Is there really objective truth when it comes to what people either find joy/ fulfilment or emptiness in? Can you tell that athlete that running that race is a total waste of time? Sure- you can try but it likely won't deminish their want to try and do it and the euphoria they may feel if they win it.

Reactions: Alexei_Kirillov
BeedyBee

BeedyBee

Aug 30, 2022
No, you're not crazy. I'm the same way. My desire to ctb is driven by my philosophical conclusions about my own identity

Reactions: sserafim and Alexei_Kirillov
L

lovelesslifeless

Aug 28, 2024
no matter how people try to slice it or sum it up with all these fancy terms and labels
no one can deny it's still ultimately not a pleasant experience for most
people have different copes and call it different things
if it's not a positive outlook or mainstream suddenly it's ''philosophical'' or ''psychology''
to me it's just the natural strife that comes with being human, especially in today's age
it'd be more refreshing if more people could just be honest about it, for once

Reactions: sserafim and Jarni
SmallKoy

SmallKoy

Aficionado
Jan 18, 2024
Of course you aren't crazy. I was suicidal before, but I took a philosophy class in college and it 100% influenced me to research metaphysical topics and death more. Learning philosophy definitely contributed to my suicidal thinking. Not saying that's an inherent trait of taking a philosophy class but I think it's not uncommon for sure.

BoulderSoWhat

BoulderSoWhat

Aug 29, 2024
Hi all, I'm an undergraduate studying philosophy at university. A number of Nihilist/Philosophical pessimist works have had a bad effect on me and i cant reason my way out of it. Am i fucking crazy or what??

Have you read Albert Camus "The Myth of Sisyphus?" The opening lines to his work are:

"There is but one truly serious philosophical problem, and that is suicide. Judging whether life is or is not worth living amounts to answering the fundamental question of philosophy. All the rest—whether or not the world has three dimensions, whether the mind has nine or twelve categories—comes afterwards."

It's a great work I highly recommend if you get the chance to look into it :)

But otherwise, are you able to articulate the general thought process you have after having read what has impacted you? I got into philosophy stuff in high school, studied it a little more as my major in college before dropping out.