O

onamy

Sep 23, 2018
This might sound like a joke, but it isn't. It's a quite simple machine and could potentially built by anyone in your home, provided you have a proper design and instructions. To my imagination, with proper specs it would have the reliability of a gun, and it could be obtained in countries where guns are hard to get.

The only hard part to find or make would be the blade, I don't have a solution for that. Also, it could be hard to hide, so you maybe couldn't have people coming over your home anymore.

It might sound like too big of a project, but theoretically, nothing is stopping you from building one if you are determined and have some common sense of mechanical physics. Even if you don't, you can just indefinitely test it with something else than your neck.

Has this option been considered in suicide communities? Do common, accessible designs/instructions exist?

Reactions: CatabolicSeed, Kbeau, death137 and 5 others
S

Schopenhauer

Enlightened
Oct 3, 2018
I have thought about it the first time I read Dicken's A Tale of Two Cities. I don't think it's practical, though, unless you're mechanically savvy. And you'd need custom-made blade, I think.

Edit: how fucked up do you have be to read Charles Dickens and wish to die guillotined?

Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, polarbear and Lizzie S.
V

Virgo

Arcanist
Oct 3, 2018
It wouldn't be that hard, but what's the point? There are better methods.

Reactions: Amnesty and Schopenhauer
vvvvv

vvvvv

Just call me "v" or "vee"
Oct 17, 2018
You almost make it sound like some kind of carpentry project for the whole family. "C'mon little Jimmy, let's help grandpar build his guillotine!".

Jokes aside

Yes, it would be very reliable, but like you also pointed out ridiculously impractical. It also has to be precise and sharp, and knowing how to work angle grinders and welders would be mandatory. If you don't, you're more likely to get horribly injured during construction rather than by the device itself.

Getting a hold of plans and materiel would be the easy part of this project no doubt.

• Yay!
Reactions: Somage, Fizz, glitterproof and 8 others
M

millefeui

Enlightened
Mar 31, 2018
That is hardcore.

Reactions: Lara Francis, Fucking loving it, Trashcan and 1 other person
worldexploder

worldexploder

Visionary
Sep 19, 2018
I heard about people doing this before. You would really have to know what your doing. Can't just put a blade between two pieces of wood and let a rip. There is a science behind it all. Are you skilled in carpentry or bladework?

Reactions: Trashcan and lv-gras
Sayo

Sayo

Not 2B
Aug 22, 2018
I once tried a guillotine simulator at a science exhibition. It was spooky but exciting.

Anyway, there aren't instructions like you're asking for as far as I'm aware (I'm fairly sure). I assume people who are skilled enough to be confident and have access to the tools, materials, and workspace just use other methods, tbh. So it'd have to be a pet project.

edit: There are definitely stories, but I've certainly never seen schematics. It might be better to approach it from other fields.

Last edited:
Reactions: Schopenhauer, Trashcan and worldexploder
ctoan

ctoan

Arcanist
Sep 30, 2018
there are a few people who already done this

one guy even integrated a timer so the guillotine unleashed when he was asleep

Reactions: Trashcan, Virgo and worldexploder
Revok

Revok

Oct 6, 2018
I hear if you drop long enough with hanging (more than 5 meters) then you will also be decapitated. It won't be clean, but it would also be over quite quickly.

Reactions: Trashcan
Trashcan

Trashcan

Trash
Aug 31, 2018
Some people have done this.

But others would not. It isn't very accessible. You have to go out of your way to find instructions (are there any?) and build it. It doesn't seem as simple as you're making it out to be. A lot of people want something accessible. It's also very violent. Some people wouldn't care, others would.

Reactions: Nightwillalwayswin and Schopenhauer
Jovaras

Jovaras

Student
Oct 3, 2018
For a blade you can purchase blade from paper cutters like the ones typographers using

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Visionary
Sep 9, 2018
I think this would be tricky. It's difficult to get a blade large and heavy enough to move reliably within a certain range, and to also have it move with sufficient velocity to cut cleanly. Personally, the thought of it only partially making it through the neck/spinal cord is a terrifying one.

M

Miro

Oct 17, 2018
It can be done but there's gotta be a better way.

ARW3N

ARW3N

Melancholia
Dec 25, 2019
Suicide by guillotine is one of the most intriguing methods I've come across. Yes, there have been a number of suicides by home-made guillotine. I read an account somewhere of someone that spent all the time in his father's basement making an elaborate home-made guillotine with a timer which would release the blade after he had taken some sleeping pills. He did trial runs on a watermelon or something like that beforehand. He timed everything to perfection and his father walked in on his decapitated body.

Reactions: Nymph
Nymph

Nymph

he/him
Jul 15, 2020
Where are you gonna find such a sharp/big knife tho? Seems like too much work but I guess it's possible

R

Ragtime piano

Jul 2, 2020
How much would this fuck up whoever found the body ???

greyhound

greyhound

Arcanist
Oct 8, 2020
there are a few people who already done this

one guy even integrated a timer so the guillotine unleashed when he was asleep

Guy clearly didn't suffer from insomnia

• Love
  • Yay!
Reactions: GarageKarate07, GenesAndEnvironment and Aap
sunburst

sunburst

Just do it.
Feb 1, 2021
Some people have done this.

But others would not. It isn't very accessible. You have to go out of your way to find instructions (are there any?) and build it. It doesn't seem as simple as you're making it out to be. A lot of people want something accessible. It's also very violent. Some people wouldn't care, others would.
But it is very reliable.

• Love
Reactions: GarageKarate07
greyhound

greyhound

Arcanist
Oct 8, 2020
But it is very reliable.

And quick. I think I prize a quick death above all else. SN isn't bad but you still have 30 mins of probably feeling pretty bad. N you drift off pretty quick but still alive for another 20-30. Opiates seem particularly bad in this respect, take hours and hours to kill while your brain cells slowly die from diminishing oxygen.

I'd totally take a firing squad ok it'd be nerve wracking but it'd all be over pretty quick.

Self inflicted gunshot wound to the head could work but just so much chance of flinching I think. I also read a lot of news articles where someone gets shot in the head in some gang incident and dies later in the hospital.

I think homemade guillotine would be great but there is no way I could manage to build it in secret. 3d printing might be a solution to something like this in the future.

Reactions: sunburst
GarageKarate07

GarageKarate07

Wizard
Aug 18, 2020
This might sound like a joke, but it isn't. It's a quite simple machine and could potentially built by anyone in your home, provided you have a proper design and instructions. To my imagination, with proper specs it would have the reliability of a gun, and it could be obtained in countries where guns are hard to get.

The only hard part to find or make would be the blade, I don't have a solution for that. Also, it could be hard to hide, so you maybe couldn't have people coming over your home anymore.

It might sound like too big of a project, but theoretically, nothing is stopping you from building one if you are determined and have some common sense of mechanical physics. Even if you don't, you can just indefinitely test it with something else than your neck.

Has this option been considered in suicide communities? Do common, accessible designs/instructions exist?
You could have your friends help build it for fun but they would feel bad when you did it. Its not that hard just large. It would take up a whole room. The blade had to be heavy and sturdy or at least weighted. Steel would work. With a little grinding on the end. About 100 to 200 pounds for the blade and it's a one shot deal. A big mess but your already gone. No going back so that makes it a good method.

GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
Would this work as a second-rate guillotine?

1. Hit the gym for a year. 2. Bench press 250 kg then drop it onto your throat (the benching is optional but makes it more badass). 3. Spine severed, over and done with..?

Reactions: Makko and Mentalmick
greyhound

greyhound

Arcanist
Oct 8, 2020
Would this work as a second-rate guillotine?

1. Hit the gym for a year. 2. Bench press 250 kg then drop it onto your throat (the benching is optional but makes it more badass). 3. Spine severed, over and done with..?

I was actually thinking about something this. Those smith press machines could probably be jury rigged into a guillotine. Just need to affix a blade to the bar and have some way of rotating / dropping it by rope or something. Cost of 24 hour fitness membership $40 / month. Look on Zumba instructors face when your head rolls into the classroom: priceless.

• Yay!
Reactions: 262653, Makko and GenesAndEnvironment
Ender

Ender

Dec 29, 2020
You know, I always imagined guillotine for my method, but it would took tools and time that I simply don't have. I wish you luck though.

• Love
CatabolicSeed

CatabolicSeed

they/them
Feb 19, 2020
Some googling shows it's definitely been done before

• Love