epic

epic

Enlightened
Aug 9, 2019
Does the property become un-sellable because of the bad thing that happened ? Also does suicide in a hotel hurt their business?

• Hugs
Reactions: botanormal, Matthias_k and nerve
L

LostSoul101

Student
Nov 7, 2020
That's a really good question. I think laws about what the property seller can reveal to a buyer vary according to country so it's best if you Google it for a specific country. For example, there are laws in some countries about whether the seller must reveal if a death took place on the property (violent [suicide/murder] or natural). In other countries not. I suggest Googling your country's laws on that.
Suicide in a hotel: the police will be called to remove the body etc and that makes the area a crime scene for as long as the investigation lasts, which should only be a couple of hours or so. The police need to determine if it really was a suicide or someone was murdered and the murderer framed the scene to look like suicide. I imagine the hotel will try to minimise the visibility of police in that hotel room and generally on that floor in order not to alarm guests, as suicides do freak people out.
There are some hotels that have a constant string of deaths and people still stay at the hotel (there is one in LA that's famous for murder and suicides, but it's still open which means business isn't affected by its reputation), so it shouldn't hurt the hotel. It's often not reported in local papers that a suicide occurred in the hotel, it's usually through word of mouth (hotel staff or other guests gossiping, which does happen and you can't control). It would be reported in a newspaper if it were a murder, as any murder would be reported.

Reactions: botanormal, epic and dropdeadfred
Y

yabadabadoo

Nov 17, 2020
on a long enough time scale, I do not think so. But it can have short term effects.

Reactions: botanormal and epic
K

Kruger

Arcanist
Dec 26, 2019
This is an issue for me too - my house is my only asset and I want my nephews to benefit from the sale of it. I did some research and yes it does devalue the house. Also, in my case, no on will know I'm missing till they smell a rotting corpse and the smell is apparently impossible to remove - it destroys carpets, goes through florboards, etc. For that reason, if and when i get to the point, I will do it outside at the bottom of my garden in a tent. I think that's somewhat better than inside the house.

• Aww..
  • Love
M

Matthias_k

Apr 18, 2020
IMO there is no difference between suicide and natural death, so I don't see how it could have an impact on a property's market value. A corpse is a corpse. It's not like a whole family has been axe-murdered.

Reactions: botanormal and Metalhead
Wayfaerer

Wayfaerer

JFMSUF
Aug 21, 2019
I won't do it at my parent's house for this very reason. I plan on going to a big chain hotel when I do, even if it hurts their property value then oh well lol

• Aww..
  • Love
epic

epic

Enlightened
Aug 9, 2019
IMO there is no difference between suicide and natural death, so I don't see how it could have an impact on a property's market value.
Natural death is nature's way of taking you away, even if the person has a good life on the property . Suicide means something horrible has gone on in that property and now the next occupant has to live there with the constant reminder of the fact that something terrible had happened especially at the spot where it happened. It is a total superstition, the building is nothing but concrete and bricks and it is just your mind playing tricks. Yet only a few people (like you) can overcome that feeling . Frankly even I have a hard time shaking that feeling off.

• Love
Reactions: botanormal