M

makingsure4

Student
Jan 6, 2021
Soda lime absorbs carbon dioxide. So if you put a plastic bag around your head, and put some soda lime in the bag with you. Tied it shut around your neck would the soda lime help absorb the CO2 and make the SI alarm response not as much? If at all? So one could successfully ctb by lack of oxygen?

Reactions: fedupsoul
Greenberg

Greenberg

nitrogenexit.blogspot.com
Jun 28, 2020
Soda-lime is caustic and will burn skill.

M

makingsure4

Student
Jan 6, 2021
Yes, I just read that...on the net. Corrosive to tissue. Use gloves. Well that's one reason it is so difficult to know how to make a debreather because how do you or do you not inhale it..what kind of filter..etc. TBH I wonder whether anyone really has successfully made a debreather on here or elsewhere...even Avocet apparently failed at doing it at least on a mass scale and he had extensive knowledge and business partners manufacturing products....like scuba stuff.

Reactions: Wrennie and fedupsoul
fedupsoul

fedupsoul

Confused
Jan 19, 2021
Yes, I just read that...on the net. Corrosive to tissue. Use gloves. Well that's one reason it is so difficult to know how to make a debreather because how do you or do you not inhale it..what kind of filter..etc. TBH I wonder whether anyone really has successfully made a debreather on here or elsewhere...even Avocet apparently failed at doing it at least on a mass scale and he had extensive knowledge and business partners manufacturing products....like scuba stuff.
I lost hope on the debreather after realizing it's problems, I'm thinking partial or nitrogen exit bag to be the best ways SN as worst case back up

Wrennie

Wrennie

-
Dec 18, 2019
3 or so users on here have successfully created their own functional Rebreathers and omitted the design flaws that prevented the official version from succeeding

M

makingsure4

Student
Jan 6, 2021
3 or so users on here have successfully created their own functional Rebreathers and omitted the design flaws that prevented the official version from succeeding
Well, good for them. I didn't see any real concrete plans on here about how to do that. Maybe they could share that or start selling their own product.

Reactions: Wrennie
Wrennie

Wrennie

-
Dec 18, 2019
Well, good for them. I didn't see any real concrete plans on here about how to do that. Maybe they could share that or start selling their own product.
A user named TrailerTrash was reportedly in the process of making a step-by-step guide on how to make one but he abruptly quit the site without delivering.

If you're a handy person you could probably work out enough from the few posts/pictures that he did end up releasing to make your own, but as for me I'm stumped lol

Reactions: makingsure4
L

Longman

Student
Jan 9, 2019
So if you put a plastic bag around your head, and put some soda lime in the bag with you
Seems just putting soda lime in the bag is not enough (process too slow), because NuTech's debreather variation (Spartacus III) intented for use with plastic bag had a fan in it to force air movement through CO2-srubbing cassette.

Greenberg

Greenberg

nitrogenexit.blogspot.com
Jun 28, 2020
OMG, it took umpteen years for them to figure out that airflow was the issue and a fan was needed! How many more will it take for them to figure that it also requires a power source like a battery? It feels like a comedy of errors.

Last edited:
Reactions: makingsure4