dmdmdm

dmdmdm

Student
Sep 20, 2023
If somebody covered your you nose and mouth while you were asleep, would you wake up and fight against it, or just die sleeping mindlessly?

What if I fell asleep with a plastic bag around my head that's sitting very loosely and used a self-build mechanical device that would tighten up the bag over time until it eventually restrained oxygen flow completely, all while I am asleep. Does that sound do-able?

L

Leiden

Arcanist
Sep 1, 2020
I've fallen asleep and woken up by my throat relaxing and blocking my airway and it's terrifying. Gasping for air while panicking. It would be the same thing if someone covered your mouth. Once that air stops, your body's knows about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: dmdmdm
K

kikewolf900

Banned
Jun 14, 2024
Ye that's what I'm gonna do, if you manage to not rip the bag there's no way you don't die

DoubleUp8

DoubleUp8

Gambler
Dec 14, 2023
Is there any way to completely enclose yourself in a plastic bubble and the oxygen would be slowly replaced with CO2. Think that's some way possible?

dmdmdm

dmdmdm

Student
Sep 20, 2023
Is there any way to completely enclose yourself in a plastic bubble and the oxygen would be slowly replaced with CO2. Think that's some way possible?
I'd think so. If one cuts off oxygen supply, at some point all the O2 will be converted into CO2, it's just about If and how quickly you would wake up

KillingPain267

KillingPain267

Paragon
Apr 15, 2024
No, your brain will automatically wake up and make you try to rip the bag off. And if you don't manage to rip it off then you will suffocate slowly and it will feel horrible for up to 10 minutes. That method is very similar to simple drowning.

Cress

Cress

Arcanist
Oct 15, 2023
If somebody covered your you nose and mouth while you were asleep, would you wake up and fight against it, or just die sleeping mindlessly?

What if I fell asleep with a plastic bag around my head that's sitting very loosely and used a self-build mechanical device that would tighten up the bag over time until it eventually restrained oxygen flow completely, all while I am asleep. Does that sound do-able?
Yeah you would wake up and fight to breathe. I've failed to suffocate myself on two separate attempts. The urge to breathe is extremely powerful. Your brain can sense when CO2 levels start getting high And it'll start to panic however this reaction can be bypassed by using some sort of neutral gas. For example your brain is breathing in a good amount of nitrogen And it's not programmed to monitor or care about these chemicals at all.

Hence So many people die when going into an environment with a neutral gas. We artificially add a smell to methane gas that we produce so that people know to evacuate an area that's filled up with it. As you're likely to just pass out before ever triggering the panic response. I attempted once trying to use helium gas. I found it to be extremely meticulous and complicated to pull off.