WhenTheyCry

WhenTheyCry

Experienced
Jun 25, 2022
Maybe I'm getting too old for this. It feels like such a waste of time these days

• Hugs
Reactions: Unreal., Vision4ry, Ditto and 6 others
J

Jorms_McGander

Arcanist
Oct 17, 2023
I remember enjoying things as well.

Now I have this thing where I start doing something I used to enjoy, I suck at it because I've lost the motivation to practice things, I mock myself and quit sarcastically.

Even the simplest thing like reading a book? Fucked my attention span over the past twenty years. Reading is uncomfortable af now.

I don't think it's an age thing so much as it is a mental health thing. It's worth taking that seriously, because it suggests that there is a problem that could be fixed. I don't want to just complain, even though I am experiencing the same damn problem. There is a fix, and I mean, WHY should we not enjoy a single moment more even if we CTB?

So, I dunno, I'm hopeful to enjoy something again. I believe it's possible, and that attempting enjoyment is worthwhile even without the intention to live. It just seems excessively cruel otherwise. Why should end-of-life have to be an act of suffering and disappointment?

I personally will kill myself even if I am granted the ability to enjoy my hobbies again. But I'd just go a little happier I guess

• Hugs
Reactions: heavyeyes
WhenTheyCry

WhenTheyCry

Experienced
Jun 25, 2022
I remember enjoying things as well.

Now I have this thing where I start doing something I used to enjoy, I suck at it because I've lost the motivation to practice things, I mock myself and quit sarcastically.

Even the simplest thing like reading a book? Fucked my attention span over the past twenty years. Reading is uncomfortable af now.

I don't think it's an age thing so much as it is a mental health thing. It's worth taking that seriously, because it suggests that there is a problem that could be fixed. I don't want to just complain, even though I am experiencing the same damn problem. There is a fix, and I mean, WHY should we not enjoy a single moment more even if we CTB?

So, I dunno, I'm hopeful to enjoy something again. I believe it's possible, and that attempting enjoyment is worthwhile even without the intention to live. It just seems excessively cruel otherwise. Why should end-of-life have to be an act of suffering and disappointment?

I personally will kill myself even if I am granted the ability to enjoy my hobbies again. But I'd just go a little happier I guess
I replaced my gaming with exercise. I bought a punching bag and it brings way more satisfaction than pressing buttons on a keyboard

Reactions: innominesatanas44 and Jorms_McGander
eatantz

eatantz

I luv dolls
Nov 4, 2023
I've lost interest in everything and now I'm just constantly bored. I wish I could enjoy my hobbies and games but it all feels pointless and monotonous.

Saturn_

Saturn_

Arcanist
Apr 22, 2024
Nowadays video games seem to be designed to maximize profitability and addictiveness rather than fun. Everything is hollow, sterile and corporate. Nothing can be a one-time payment anymore. A lot of modern games are more like glorified jobs that you don't get paid for.

Reactions: HereTomorrow and noname27
WhenTheyCry

WhenTheyCry

Experienced
Jun 25, 2022
Nowadays video games seem to be designed to maximize profitability and addictiveness rather than fun. Everything is hollow, sterile and corporate. Nothing can be a one-time payment anymore. A lot of modern games are more like glorified jobs that you don't get paid for.
i couldnt play league in recent years without putting on a podcast in the background. at that point im not even playing the game anymore

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Saturn_
derpyderpins

derpyderpins

Normie Life Mogs
Sep 19, 2023
Maybe I'm getting too old for this. It feels like such a waste of time these days
Sometimes you just need to step back and take a break. I've not played games much for as much as a year and then one day it just clicked and I wanted to binge something.

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I find it really hard for me to get into new games, especially big budget ones. I blame the design of these games themselves. Way too many menus and options to sort through even for so called action games. Every game has to have some sort of crafting or inventory management system and it's all become so tedious to me.

Games from franchises I'm already familiar with are more likely to be fun for me even when they introduce new mechanics there's usually still enough familiarity that makes me feel like I can push through no matter what.

sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, thatā€™s just me
Sep 13, 2023
I replaced my gaming with exercise. I bought a punching bag and it brings way more satisfaction than pressing buttons on a keyboard
Gotta take out your rage, amirite? In case it spikes šŸ¤£

WhenTheyCry

WhenTheyCry

Experienced
Jun 25, 2022
Sometimes you just need to step back and take a break. I've not played games much for as much as a year and then one day it just clicked and I wanted to binge something.
Video games are a toxic time-sink activity with no worthwhile returns though, unless you're in the top 0.01% and can make a living by streaming it.
I find it really hard for me to get into new games, especially big budget ones. I blame the design of these games themselves. Way too many menus and options to sort through even for so called action games. Every game has to have some sort of crafting or inventory management system and it's all become so tedious to me.

Games from franchises I'm already familiar with are more likely to be fun for me even when they introduce new mechanics there's usually still enough familiarity that makes me feel like I can push through no matter what.
Yeah, this is why I played mostly MOBAs in the past. They're fast paced and streamlined.
Gotta take out your rage, amirite? In case it spikes šŸ¤£
I thought you were banned from neet, why are you still lurking there :ohhhh:

• Yay!
Reactions: sserafim and Dr Iron Arc
sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, thatā€™s just me
Sep 13, 2023
Video games are a toxic time-sink activity with no worthwhile returns though, unless you're in the top 0.01% and can make a living by streaming it.

Yeah, this is why I played mostly MOBAs in the past. They're fast paced and streamlined.

I thought you were banned from neet, why are you still lurking there :ohhhh:
Cuz it's fun jfl

• Yay!
Reactions: derpyderpins
derpyderpins

derpyderpins

Normie Life Mogs
Sep 19, 2023

lol k. Life is a time-sink activity with no worthwhile returns, and the games I've played helped shape my character and personality. I guess I misunderstood your post. I thought you were going to discuss anhedonia or something, not that you just wanted to bring up gaming to shit on it. As far as time-wasters I'd argue gaming can be among the best.

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
MOBAs have their own issues although that's just what I gather from having so many League players as friends. I do play PokƩmon Unite but if League of Legends and other big MOBAs are like cigarettes, PokƩmon Unite is nicotine gum.

Sometimes to unwind I boot up Smash Bros Ultimate and wail on some level 9 CPUs. I'm awful at competitive these days though. šŸ˜”

WhenTheyCry

WhenTheyCry

Experienced
Jun 25, 2022
lol k. Life is a time-sink activity with no worthwhile returns, and the games I've played helped shape my character and personality. I guess I misunderstood your post. I thought you were going to discuss anhedonia or something, not that you just wanted to bring up gaming to shit on it. As far as time-wasters I'd argue gaming can be among the best.
character? personality? i learned how to verbally abuse my teammates from league, that's not a valuable skill to develop. all that time i wasted playing games, i could've read countless books and boosted my knowledge. it's true that this is a suicide forum for people who's lost hope, and i have felt suicidal in the past, but right now in this moment i want to live for the future.
Cuz it's fun jfl
šŸ˜Ÿ Sometimes I wonder...

• Yay!
Reactions: sserafim
derpyderpins

derpyderpins

Normie Life Mogs
Sep 19, 2023
character? personality? i learned how to verbally abuse my teammates from league, that's not a valuable skill to develop. all that time i wasted playing games, i could've read countless books and boosted my knowledge. it's true that this is a suicide forum for people who's lost hope, and i have felt suicidal in the past, but right now in this moment i want to live for the future.
There are different kinds of games. It's been some time since I got into online competitive games. I'm talking largely about single-player and couch multiplayer or co-op games. Games with narratives and choice, puzzles, and characters, or played with a good friend for a shared experience. But that's what I like. I could argue that online competitive games teach adaptability, strategy, coordination - both reflexively and interpersonally - and visual recognition. It also could teach you not to be verbally abusive, but I guess your results may vary.

Good for you that you want to live for the future, and if for you that is working out and reading books, great. They seem like fine uses of your free time. Doesn't diminish gaming.

Vision4ry

Vision4ry

sir thinks-a-lot
Apr 30, 2024
Last time I tried to start recovery first thing I did was quit Valorant LOL

deadass feel like all I did was cope hard on that game, it wasn't really fun, it was just fast-paced and could keep my attention for hours at a time. I mean a time-waster sounds great in the state I'm in though, might think about picking something back up but nothing's very interesting anymore

Eternal Eyes

Eternal Eyes

Student
Dec 3, 2023
I'm glad someone made this thread and made it recently, as I've considered making the same thread for a few months As a teenager, I loved RPGs. My favorites were the PokƩmon games, I had grown up with them, it was all that felt natural to me. I beat Scarlet over a year ago, and haven't returned to it since. I doubt I ever will. The series just feels distant to me, it's felt that way since gen 7. Funny, Pokemon Moon/Sun came out when I really, really started getting mentally ill. Hard playing it and not getting reminded of certain things.

Video games of all genres just don't grip me anymore. This a list of all the ones I've dropped within a year. I'd say the last game I truly loved was Trials of Mana last year.

Kingdoms of Amalur
Nintendo Pocket Football Club
Mario 3D World
Pokemon Colosseum
Kings Field IV - Enjoyed it but a bit too repetitive, got bored in the end. Will probably replay and complete it someday.
TOTK
Diablo 3
Fire Emblem 7 - Will probably replay and beat it someday.
Oblivion - Will try it again for the fourth time, probably with mods. Never get past the Imperial City before getting bored.

As for MMOs, I'm a veteran of Toontown Online...anyone who's ever played that game and it's fan server Toontown Rewritten knows how drama filled that cesspool of a game is :pfff:

• Love
N

noname27

May 21, 2024
I feel the exact same way. I can play anything up to gen 7 for hours and hours but anything after I struggle to play.

• Love
HereTomorrow

HereTomorrow

Eternally atoning
Feb 1, 2024
God I feel this so much.

There's one game (I won't name bc it's super small) I loved because they had a beautiful storyline and when you purchase expansion song packs, you got to keep them forever for an unlimited amount of replaying. Now they've moved to a subscription model and making song levels avaliable to purchase for one week per year, encouraging FOMO, and adding like 4 different currencies with different purposes. It's been years since they've released something original, let alone worthwhile.

I can't believe this was the same game I've played for like half a decade! I play it anyway to pass the time but I just don't enjoy it as much as I used to. I want to pull away from it but the nostalgia hits too much to divorce it.

I'm glad for the arcade games because I have to go out of my way to plan things out and set aside a budget and list of achievements to complete. I'm not ecstatic and hopping off the walls with them, but I leave more sastified and happier compared to console or mobile games.

Often, I feel like I have more fun discussing the games rather then actually playing them.

BruhXDDDDD

BruhXDDDDD

Student
Feb 18, 2022
Make an hour long video essay about it and rake in the cash

• Yay!
Reactions: HereTomorrow