Flavourtown

Flavourtown

May 29, 2021
Was anyone else incredibly dumb as a child and it held them back to this day? It took me around two years to learn how to float, and I kept failing swimming levels because of it and couldn't progress. Same with piano, I only managed to learn twinkle twinkle little star by the end of a full set of classes while others while playing classical pieces. Just wondering what you guys think.

• Hugs
Reactions: jello, WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, Largeletters and 5 others
UseItOrLoseIt

UseItOrLoseIt

1O'8
Dec 4, 2020
I was a rather gifted child. Didn't help me much. Depression made sure of that. Now my brain is fried. I'm getting dumber by the day.

• Hugs
Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, Largeletters, Ame and 3 others
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
Yes, I was exactly like that when I was a child. I have always struggled with things that other people find straightforward. It's simply the way I am. Now I live in a fog and I struggle to concentrate and think straight a lot of the time.

• Hugs
Reactions: Largeletters, Seiba, TheSoulless and 1 other person
Seiba

Seiba

Arcanist
Jun 13, 2021
I was in middle of the road classes largely. As and Bs until I missed 30 days in fifth grade and about 35 days in sixth grade massively lowering my grades and the situation that had me miss that many days of school would see me be homeschooled from that point forward. Homeschool held me back more than concepts like intelligence and stupidity, but it's too late now.

• Hugs
Reactions: Largeletters, FuneralCry and The Lonely
The Lonely

The Lonely

Arcanist
Jan 26, 2021
There are some development markers which doctors take in order to check if some child is developing like "normal".

Some things only parents will be able to say.
Things like: It took a longer time to walk? To talk? (And so on). There are marks even about adolescents and adults. Can one focus in a task? Can one take care of his hygiene? and so on.

So, technically its is expected for all of us to decline (since we all know that people pretty old end up needing help to things like take bath, medicines, etc).

By checking those child markers one can be early diagnosed as Autistic which implies in in a different development with or without having a low intellectual quotient.
I personally have attention deficit between others issues related to autism. Never learned how to swim and have trouble with balance and spacial notion. This particular features in my case made playing sports a torture all my life. And so on….

• Hugs
Reactions: Largeletters, FuneralCry and Seiba
Seiba

Seiba

Arcanist
Jun 13, 2021
There are some development markers which doctors take in order to check if some child is developing like "normal".

Some things only parents will be able to say.
Things like: It took a longer time to walk? To talk? (And so on). There are marks even about adolescents and adults. Can one focus in a task? Can one take care of his hygiene? and so on.

So, technically its is expected for all of us to decline (since we all know that people pretty old end up needing help to things like take bath, medicines, etc).

By checking those child markers one can be early diagnosed as Autistic which implies in in a different development with or without having a low intellectual quotient.
I personally have attention deficit between others issues related to autism. Never learned how to swim and have trouble with balance and spacial notion. This particular features in my case made playing sports a torture all my life. And so on….
Sorry to hear, they had me as attention deficit as well.

Reactions: The Lonely
Largeletters

Largeletters

Alone
Jan 21, 2020
I don't think I was dumb but lacking coordination and things like that. Also didn't help how I went through traumatic events as a young child, so my mind was preoccupied most of the time. The school did nothing but treat me like shit for it and in turn, it just made it worse.

• Hugs
Reactions: FuneralCry, The Lonely and Seiba
The Lonely

The Lonely

Arcanist
Jan 26, 2021
I don't think I was dumb but lacking coordination and things like that. Also didn't help how I went through traumatic events as a young child, so my mind was preoccupied most of the time. The school did nothing but treat me like shit for it and in turn, it just made it worse.

Its tricky when you are different and instead of being advised and helped, you are constantly bombarded at school and at home …

Living with the panic button On for a long time damages people

• Hugs
Reactions: Largeletters
Largeletters

Largeletters

Alone
Jan 21, 2020
Its tricky when you are different and instead of being advised and helped, you are constantly bombarded at school and at home …

I saw this today which sort of relates to what you're saying. For some reason this is very relatable but it also pissed me off.

• Love
Flavourtown

Flavourtown

May 29, 2021

Exactly, it promotes stagnation, you don't want to progress because people will end up discouraging you for not doing things correctly immediately. I guess what I was trying to say with the post is that, lots of us might have had the potential be olympians or "prodigies" in certain activities had we been treated well from the start. Like if I was put into my younger body as I am currently, even without knowledge of swimming, I might've actually started competing at a national level by my current age. However, this isn't even the case for everyone.

• Hugs