Status
Not open for further replies.
LifeIsNotFun

LifeIsNotFun

Mage
Jun 1, 2019
LIVERPOOL, England — No two people are exactly alike. Therefore, attempting to classify each unique individual's mental health issues into neat categories just doesn't work. That's the claim coming out of the United Kingdom that is sure to ruffle some psychologists' feathers.

More people are being diagnosed with mental illnesses than ever before. Multiple factors can be attributed to this rise; many people blame the popularity of social mediaand increased screen time, but it is also worth considering that in today's day and age more people may be willing to admit they are having mental health issues in the first place. Whatever the reason, it is generally believed that a psychiatric diagnosis is the first step to recovery.

That's why a new study conducted at the University of Liverpool has raised eyebrows by concluding that psychiatric diagnoses are "scientifically meaningless," and worthless as tools to accurately identify and address mental distress at an individual level.

Researchers performed a detailed analysis on five of the most important chapters in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Heath Disorders (DSM). The DSM is considered the definitive guide for mental health professionals, and provides descriptions for all mental health problems and their symptoms. The five chapters analyzed were: bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, depressive disorders, anxiety disorders, and trauma-related disorders.

Researchers came to a number of troubling conclusions. First, the study's authors assert that there is a significant amount of overlap in symptoms between disorder diagnoses, despite the fact that each diagnosis utilizes different decision rules. Additionally, these diagnoses completely ignore the role of trauma or other unique adverse events a person may encounter in their life.

Perhaps most concerning of all, researchers say that these diagnoses tell us little to nothing about the individual patient and what type of treatments they will need. The authors ultimately conclude that this diagnostic labeling approach is "a disingenuous categorical system."

"Although diagnostic labels create the illusion of an explanation they are scientifically meaningless and can create stigma and prejudice. I hope these findings will encourage mental health professionals to think beyond diagnoses and consider other explanations of mental distress, such as trauma and other adverse life experiences." Lead researcher Dr. Kate Allsopp explains in a release.

According to the study's authors, the traditional diagnostic system being used today wrongly assumes that any and all mental distress is caused by a disorder, and relies far too heavily on subjective ideas about what is considered "normal."

"Perhaps it is time we stopped pretending that medical-sounding labels contribute anything to our understanding of the complex causes of human distress or of what kind of help we need when distressed." Professor John Read comments.
The study is published in the scientific journal Psychiatry Research.

Last edited:
Reactions: Euthanza, esclava, Severen and 6 others
Letmego. Please

Letmego. Please

Wizard
Nov 18, 2018
That has always been my argument against them, too much effort put into labelling you when just treating the person as you see them would be much more helpful.

Thanks for the link @LifeIsNotFun

Reactions: Euthanza, Final Escape, Halo13 and 2 others
Kjo

Kjo

Student
Jun 7, 2019
My favorite is "it's a chemical imbalance" without any kind of tests to verify what chemicals are what levels. On the other side of that coin, I appreciate that it changes society's perspectives on mental disorders though.

• Hugs
Reactions: Euthanza, Final Escape, LifeIsACurse and 4 others
J

Jean Améry

Enlightened
Mar 17, 2019
That's basically what Thomas Szasz has been saying all along. Psychiatric labels are unscientific (theoretically) and not only useless but actually counterproductive/harmful on a practical level.

When will these people be widely recognised for what they are: unscrupulous intellectual frauds who benefit from grave suffering while their snakeoil not only does not help but actually harms people?

On another note: the same topic was already adressed yesterday by not_a_robot: https://sanctioned-suicide.net/threads/study-suggests-psychiatric-diagnoses-are-useless.19147/.

Reactions: Euthanza, ithappens, not_a_robot and 5 others
dreamsofdestruction

dreamsofdestruction

Everywhere I look is chaos
May 9, 2019
That's basically what Thomas Szasz has been saying all along.

That book I have still lying around, unread. Is it worth it just for a final laugh?

Reactions: Final Escape and not_a_robot
J

Jean Améry

Enlightened
Mar 17, 2019
That book I have still lying around, unread. Is it worth it just for a final laugh?

If you're referring to 'The myth of mental illness': it's well worth the read yes. Dr. Sasz was one of the first (certainly within the field) to thoroughly critique the concept of mental illness and the nefarious social and medical consequences it has.

In my view the man deserves a statue in every major city for his work exposing the fraud that is psychiatry and the damage it caused and continues to cause (socially, legally, psychologically and physically). If only I had discovered his work sooner...

Reactions: Euthanza and Kjo
LifeIsNotFun

LifeIsNotFun

Mage
Jun 1, 2019
That's basically what Thomas Szasz has been saying all along. Psychiatric labels are unscientific (theoretically) and not only useless but actually counterproductive/harmful on a practical level.

When will these people be widely recognised for what they are: unscrupulous intellectual frauds who benefit from grave suffering while their snakeoil not only does not help but actually harms people?

On another note: the same topic was already adressed yesterday by not_a_robot: https://sanctioned-suicide.net/threads/study-suggests-psychiatric-diagnoses-are-useless.19147/.
Oh my bad, I will tell the mods to lock this thread. Sorry.

J

Jean Améry

Enlightened
Mar 17, 2019
Oh my bad, I will tell the mods to lock this thread. Sorry.

There's no need to take action on my account, I merely wanted to call attention to a very similar thread which contains interesting commentaries on this issue.

LifeIsNotFun

LifeIsNotFun

Mage
Jun 1, 2019
There's no need to take action on my account, I merely wanted to call attention to a very similar thread which contains interesting commentaries on this issue.
Its no problem. It's just that thread was made before mine and it contains the same criteria. I've already let the mods know to close this thread. Further discussion about the topic can be made in the thread you linked!

• Hugs
Reactions: not_a_robot
not_a_robot

not_a_robot

"i hope the leaving is joyful, & never to return"
May 30, 2019
Its no problem. It's just that thread was made before mine and it contains the same criteria. I've already let the mods know to close this thread. Further discussion about the topic can be made in the thread you linked!
I didn't mind having two, I wasn't going to say anything. I wanted to see if the topic would go a different direction when free from my input.

LifeIsNotFun

LifeIsNotFun

Mage
Jun 1, 2019
I didn't mind having two, I wasn't going to say anything. I wanted to see if the topic would go a different direction when free from my input.
It's all good. You made the topic first, and there's no need for duplicate topics, otherwise the front page can get cluttered.

F

Final Escape

I’ve been here too long
Jul 8, 2018
The labels are just labels but u would have to do a lot of thorough investigation into a person's entire life to really understand what's going on. You would need to look at lifestyle, diet, relationships, everything. They sum up what's wrong with u in like 15 mins at most doctors appointments lol!

Severen

Severen

Enlightened
Jun 30, 2018
I don't know. I've found it very effective to diagnose people with stupidity and basic bitch disorder.

Once I met a woman who planned on becoming a psychiatrist. And she thought everyone with a high self esteem aka anyone who didn't tolerate her cunt behavior = narcissist...so yeah... Keep that in mind, next time you visit a psychiatrist. You don't have to be a rational and intelligent adult to become a psychiatrist. You just need enough $$$ and motivation. You might walk in as normal and walk out diagnosed as the next Jeffrey Dahmer. Ask how yourself... How many people are capable of judging other people objectively without bias?
My favorite is "it's a chemical imbalance" without any kind of tests to verify what chemicals are what levels. On the other side of that coin, I appreciate that it changes society's perspectives on mental disorders though.
Yeah but if there is a chemical imbalance, do they even know the cause? No...

Last edited:
Reactions: Euthanza
J

Jean Améry

Enlightened
Mar 17, 2019
Keep that in mind, next time you visit a psychiatrist.

In my country there are hardly any medical students that still want to specialize in psychiatry: good for them. At least their education paid off.

Of all the medical specialities psychiatry probably attracts the weakest candidates or those who still believe in fairy-tales. How strange: 6 years of actual, scientifically rigorous medical training and then a specialization that has precious little to do with what you learned previously. It's like getting a bachelor's in physics only to switch to a master in religious studies.

Reactions: Euthanza and Severen
Severen

Severen

Enlightened
Jun 30, 2018
In my country there are hardly any medical students that still want to specialize in psychiatry: good for them. At least their education paid off.

Of all the medical specialities psychiatry probably attracts the weakest candidates or those who still believe in fairy-tales. How strange: 6 years of actual, scientifically rigorous medical training and then a specialization that has precious little to do with what you learned previously. It's like getting a bachelor's in physics only to switch to a master in religious studies.
I'd rather be diagnosed by a witch doctor than a psychiatrist.

J

Jean Améry

Enlightened
Mar 17, 2019
I'd rather be diagnosed by a witch doctor than a psychiatrist.

Of course: witch doctors' opinions don't have legal consequences. They still might poison you if you let them. Wait, that's not very different from psychiatrists, lol.

GeorgeJL

GeorgeJL

Enlightened
Mar 7, 2019
It looks like junk science to me. Will close thread as requested as this study has already been cited here.

Status
Not open for further replies.