Jack4230

Jack4230

Lame
Sep 8, 2019
How do you deal with stress? Im a college student in my 3rd year and there's a good chance I fail 2 classes this semester. I get so stressed and end up procrastinating everything. My day to day is a living hell but I want to get better I just can't seem to motivate myself to actually study even though I'm stressed about it all the time.

• Hugs
Reactions: Cathy Ames
GrumpyFrog

GrumpyFrog

Exhausted
Aug 23, 2020
Oh, that's a tough one. Sounds like you're in a harsh situation, sorry about that.

I think it's not that you're unmotivated - or this problem wouldn't be on your mind 24/7 stressing you out. You're just overwhelmed.

There are many different ways of dealing with stress. Sometimes I feel better after breaking stuff and listening to "angry" loud music, sometimes it's the opposite and soothing stuff such as laying under a heavy blanket, taking a shower or watching mindless relaxing videos helps - it depends. I also find grounding techniques helpful when I feel anxious or overwhelmed.

Are there any way for you to make the process of studying more pleasant without being distracted, such as putting up your favourite music, making a hot drink of your choice etc.? Also, when I'm facing a big overwhelming task that I dread, I try to break it into smaller, more accomplishable tasks, and take breaks in between, doing something I enjoy. Do you think this can work for you? Can you think of stuff you can do during breaks that will make it feel less stressful?

Reactions: onlyanimalsaregood
T

timf

Enlightened
Mar 26, 2020
Could you change your ,major or stretch things out with a lighter class load?

Grav

Grav

Wizard
Jul 26, 2020
I live with a lot of stress and I've been where you are many times. Music is usually my go to to but I've also restarted my workout routine (which includes loud metal) and that's helped a bit. One thing I try to do is each day do a "real task", something that needs to be done around the house. That at least gives a sense of accomplishment. I've also had to move away some distractions to cut off my procrastination/distraction urges. I've found as I slowly start to get things done it's built up so that I get more done, baby steps and all that. Is there anything you can do about your environment to make life less stressful (too much clutter around, noisy roommate/living situation)? Taking breaks as needed can break up the drudgery of doing something, just don't let the breaks become hours.

Reactions: Regen
makethepainstop

makethepainstop

Visionary
Sep 16, 2022
Music and THC gummies help me.......A LOT!

Silent.Tears

Silent.Tears

Experienced
Nov 5, 2021
How do I deal with stress, that's a good question. Walking in open air area really helps me feel better and think clearer. Also, music(especially lofi) helps a lot too maybe you should give it a try(if haven't already)? With that being said, no matter what I do to make myself better, the people around me are so controlling and toxic that they manage to keep my stress levels all time high. If I express myself, that's a problem, if I don't express myself, that's also a problem. Sorry for venting in your thread.
Yeah, I would really suggest you to walk especially around nature , look at the trees, flowers, listen to the birds chirping. Lemme know how it goes.

Reactions: makethepainstop
Cathy Ames

Cathy Ames

Cautionary Tale
Mar 11, 2022
How do you deal with stress? Im a college student in my 3rd year and there's a good chance I fail 2 classes this semester. I get so stressed and end up procrastinating everything. My day to day is a living hell but I want to get better I just can't seem to motivate myself to actually study even though I'm stressed about it all the time.
How are you doing?

That is super common, to procrastinate due to being stressed out and overwhelmed, and then the procrastination just makes things worse. It can be helpful to get into study groups (because it gives you accountability, which can help with motivation). It is usually a good idea to break things down into small pieces and do them one at a time. Goal #1 might be to study for 5 minutes (with an option to continue for longer). Just getting started can be the most difficult thing, and it is easier to "start" when you know that you can stop pretty quickly. It's a potentially useful mind game.

Reactions: Silent.Tears