KindaAlwaysKnew

KindaAlwaysKnew

Sep 26, 2018
I know it's got a very low success rate, but compared to the alternatives it still feels more appealing. You'd know what you were in for a lot more than taking an overdose, the way your body could react to an overdose is so unpredictable. But if you slit your wrists you already know it's going to hurt your arms and you'll have to deal with pain in that area. But then surely if you could endure that, and as long as the blood kept flowing, you'd eventually just become faint and lose consciousness? Sounds more peaceful than possible projectile vomiting/extreme stomach pain/seizures/cardiac events that might be brought on by overdose.

I guess the main problem would be keeping the blood flowing enough to lose a sufficient amount, which after you lose consciousness would become impossible. I guess while still conscious you could prevent the wound from clotting at the site by disturbing it.

Just trying to explain why i'm drawn to this more unpopular method. What do you guys think about it?

I

IrRegularjoe

Apr 8, 2020
I think an artery bleeds more than a vein.

Reactions: KindaAlwaysKnew
C

checkouttime

Visionary
Jul 15, 2020
I don't think the femoral artery would clot, apparently you bleed out in minutes

KindaAlwaysKnew

KindaAlwaysKnew

Sep 26, 2018
Would be very difficult to overcome the pain response to cut that deep, though. I was hoping a shallower cut would still do the trick if left open long enough. I know it'd take way longer, but surely as long as you're still constantly losing blood you'd lose enough eventually?

VIBRITANNIA

VIBRITANNIA

lelouch. any pronouns. pfp is by pixiv id 3217872.
Aug 10, 2020
i used to plan on slitting my wrists (or my throat, if it came to that) but if i'm being honest, i don't think i'd be able to go through with it due to the pain. or the possibility of living, but living with permanent injuries. it's not my idea of peaceful, which is why i've given up on it.

• Hugs
Reactions: draw a circle, Ghost2211, Midnight-rain and 1 other person
softfuzzyman

softfuzzyman

Rot
Aug 17, 2020
Maan it's just so unlikely to succeed tho. I guess I'm not one to talk since I'm really drawn to drowning despite knowing it's painful (don't really care) and pretty likely to fail. I think what those have in common and why they're so prone to fail is that your biggest risk is survival instinct kicking in because, while you might consciously still wanna go through with it and consciously not care, upon seeing the insides of your wrists and rivers of blood pouring out and feeling the sensations, there's a good chance your brain will get scared and you'll instinctively go back on your decision and start trying to stop it. Same w/ drowning, even if you still wanna die, your body will freak the hell out from experiencing that and will fight to stay alive. Luckily with drowning you can reduce that by finding some way to go unconscious during the act, and losing consciousness benefits a drowning attempt but hinders a cutting attempt. With pills/poison I mean yeah if you take only enough to make you super sick and not enough to do it right your body does go into survival mode anyway and have an involuntary response to it, but generally it's a lot more passive and it's more comfortable and feels a lot easier to overcome SI. Less "scary" from a survival instinct point of view. I also think a good portion of suicidal people want to reduce damage caused by their death (both property damage and emotional damage) and simply put a dead body covered in vomit is a lot easier to look at and deal with and clean up after than a dead body sitting in a lake of blood with massive gashes, so that also contributes to why cutting is so unpopular.

Reactions: Midnight-rain and KindaAlwaysKnew
KindaAlwaysKnew

KindaAlwaysKnew

Sep 26, 2018
I get it, i think ignoring slit wrists would be way easier than fighting the body's survival instinct to not drown though. I mean with slit wrists you could just force your eyes shut and sit in the shower and the blood would drain down the drain. Still be messy i know, but all easily washed down the drain with water. I'd just lie in the shower (clothes on), with my wrists towards the drain end. That's how i picture it. I live alone so i wouldn't be disturbed.

Reactions: softfuzzyman
softfuzzyman

softfuzzyman

Rot
Aug 17, 2020
I get it, i think ignoring slit wrists would be way easier than fighting the body's survival instinct to not drown though. I mean with slit wrists you could just force your eyes shut and sit in the shower and the blood would drain down the drain. Still be messy i know, but all easily washed down the drain with water. I'd just lie in the shower (clothes on), with my wrists towards the drain end. That's how i picture it. I live alone so i wouldn't be disturbed.
Really fair point actually, that does make sense haha, I know I personally wouldn't be able to look away and would freak out. The shower idea definitely would eliminate the cleanup worry. And yeah you're right that drowning while conscious is easily far "scarier" (instinctually speaking) and way more risk of your body taking over and fighting to go back

KindaAlwaysKnew

KindaAlwaysKnew

Sep 26, 2018
Really fair point actually, that does make sense haha, I know I personally wouldn't be able to look away and would freak out. The shower idea definitely would eliminate the cleanup worry. And yeah you're right that drowning while conscious is easily far "scarier" (instinctually speaking) and way more risk of your body taking over and fighting to go back

Yep i don't think i could possibly fight the instinct to try and swim to safety/keep afloat. You'd have to choose the body of water very carefully, i.e jump from a bridge maybe into the middle of a large body of water so you'd not be able to swim to shore before becoming physically exhausted and succumbing to the water.

D

Despairing

Student
Oct 25, 2019
The Romans ctb this way in a warm bath to aid the blood flow.

D

Despairing

Student
Oct 25, 2019
I saw someone on here say warm water was a bad idea, but didn't say why??
I dont know if a warm bath would actually stop blood clotting I just know that the Romans did this so they must have thought it did.
I saw someone on here say warm water was a bad idea, but didn't say why??
After googling this it appears a warm bath would speed up blood flow. Warmth in general causes the blood vessels to dilate.

Last edited:
softfuzzyman

softfuzzyman

Rot
Aug 17, 2020
Yep i don't think i could possibly fight the instinct to try and swim to safety/keep afloat. You'd have to choose the body of water very carefully, i.e jump from a bridge maybe into the middle of a large body of water so you'd not be able to swim to shore before becoming physically exhausted and succumbing to the water.
My theoretical plan for drowning would involve a backpack full of bricks or weights ziptied to me (so like the straps tightly ziptied together in front and straps pulled tight so you cant just shrug it off) combined with alcohol+overdosing and going in as i start to feel the effects, to hopefully make me at least pretty out of it and unable to fight, at best just make me fall unconscious so i dont even have to be conscious while drowning, but yes the risk there is always that the body just gets adrenaline and rips out of any restraints or weights, or that someone sees you and comes in after you and pulls you out. i dont wanna cause any damage or harm to anyone else but i think a lot of ppl drown trying to save someone else who's drowning (whether intentionally or not) so... the idea of accidentally taking someone out with me sucks a lot and complicates things.

Deleted member 17949

Deleted member 17949

Visionary
May 9, 2020
According to stats I've seen the success rate is very low. but this could possibly be because it's easy to do impulsively with little preparation. While it's true that it can be done, you'd need to prepare just as well for it as you would with any method and analyze all the factors that make the difference between success and failure.

It's totally acceptable to use a method just because it seems nice to you, and as far as methods go you're unlikely to suffer serious disability in the event of a failure with cutting. With that said, it is tricky to get right and it is very painful. Bleeding is something the body is designed to deal with pretty well so naturally it is less likely to kill you than some poison or massive blunt trauma.

From what I've seen I'd say submerging the wounds in water is more effective to stop clotting than relying on yourself to agitate the wounds, and I'm sure there are various methods you could use to numb the pain. I would recommend a well-sharpened knife and careful planning to ensure that you can cut in the right area and in the right way as easily as possible.

Reactions: draw a circle, Deleted member 14386 and Midnight-rain
M

Midnight-rain

Student
Jan 1, 2020
Eh, I don't know... it's not possible to get a sense of what hitting nerves or tendons feel like until you get there. And it's extremely rare to die from superficial lacerations. What I do know from first hand experience is that there are random spots in a cut that'll hurt like hell. I'm talking I yanked the razor blade out of the exposed dermis out of instinct like you would after placing a hand on a burning stove. No matter how much I wanted to sink the edge in deeper, my body wouldn't let me.

Your definition of "peaceful" might be different from mine, because as relaxing as cutting can be, if I genuinely ever attempted to die using such a method I know I'd be sentencing myself to unimaginable pain and an undignified ending. Someone would have to have god-like endurance to keep going after damaging a nerve. I know some have managed to pull it off, like Avicii and Don Lapre, yet knowing how statistically unlikely I am to succeed stops me.

Plus enough blood loss and you'll likely get dizzy and nauseous. Too many drawbacks in my opinion. Doesn't stop me from fantasizing about taking Aspirin, drinking alcohol, and setting up a warm bath along with razor blades and scalpels by my side, however.

G

Ghost2211

Archangel
Jan 20, 2020
Well you already know the cons, so I'll skip that and tell you how to increase the odds. First off you need blood thinners. OTC ones are not great, but better than nothing.

Second, you need to learn the anatomy very well. Femoral artery is your best bet. You can practice on a large beef roast to see if your knife is good enough. If the leg is too deep and meaty for your taste go for the neck. You can find the arteries by feeling your pulse on both sides of your neck. Do yourself a favor and don't cut your trachea. The arms are not ideal since they are smaller than The femoral and further from the heart than the throat. Use a surgical scalpel for the arteries in the neck and wrist/arm.

Third is the pain and fear. These will be very real and need to be pushed through. You don't have a lot of chances to get it right since everything gets wet, slippery, and hard to see. if you loose enough blood to pass out but not die that complicates things as well. Don't do this without blood thinners and balls of steel.

Reactions: g0921, win32, less than and 1 other person