fallingasl33p

fallingasl33p

Stuck
Jan 2, 2024
Has anyone here actually attempted to or begun the process of seeking euthanasia/medical assistance in dying abroad? I've seen places such as Luxembourg accept non residents but you need to have a longstanding GP there so I'm wondering what would constitute that or the steps required.

Reactions: kilowatt
milknife02

milknife02

Aug 13, 2024
I am 100% sure someone, probably multiple people, have made an attempt to persue that avenue but in 'our' context (suicidal, not terminally ill although many here have various illnesses, including myself) it is virtually impossible. MAID, and any other assisted death, is SO incredibly regulated that I think even a senior with stage 4 cancer may not even qualify. This is not a road you want to put all your effort into because it leads to a dead end. There are much quicker and more accessible methods to CTB, especially if you're in the US.

Reactions: Alexei_Kirillov, kilowatt and inevitablesomewhere
fallingasl33p

fallingasl33p

Stuck
Jan 2, 2024
I am 100% sure someone, probably multiple people, have made an attempt to persue that avenue but in 'our' context (suicidal, not terminally ill although many here have various illnesses, including myself) it is virtually impossible. MAID, and any other assisted death, is SO incredibly regulated that I think even a senior with stage 4 cancer may not even qualify. This is not a road you want to put all your effort into because it leads to a dead end. There are much quicker and more accessible methods to CTB, especially if you're in the US.
I'm not in the US. I just wanna go peaceful and with a shred of dignity intact. I have nothing left.

milknife02

milknife02

Aug 13, 2024
I don't know about access to sn in your country but its currently the 'best' option at the moment. I think a second best would be hanging in terms of dignity. Im honestly considering it. You don't have to hang yourself in the woods, either.

• Love
Reactions: iloveloving and opheliaoveragain
fallingasl33p

fallingasl33p

Stuck
Jan 2, 2024
I got sick so quick after my last attempted overdose even with multiple different antiemetic. Can't even imagine the physical turmoil of an actual poison shredding your insides. I'm a pussy, I just want to go to sleep man…

opheliaoveragain

opheliaoveragain

Eating Disordered Junkie
Jun 2, 2024
MAID for purely mental health (I saw recently) is now sitting at 2027 (if ever) — Even though several US states have assisted suicide, the regulations are insane because they want us under their thumb playing the rigged game til we die on the stock room floor in debt.

Reactions: tiredandafraid
tiredandafraid

tiredandafraid

Silent Night
Aug 23, 2024
Private message me please. I find no method easy. I'm suffering.

• Aww..
Reactions: Lookingtoflyfree
I

InTheAbyss

Jul 30, 2024
I've been working on getting approved for MAID for over 2 and a half years now without making much progress. I've been trying to get approved for the hell that my autism/aspergers puts me through. My family doc won't help with the process. She keeps saying to get my psych to do it. But he's from a religion that prohibits euthanasia so he won't have anything to do with it. I've gotten as far as getting someone to sign as a witness to my consent form. I did get to the point of talking a bit with one of the MAID doctors myself. Even proved to her that under MAID that autism is not a mental health condition and as such is a valid reason to apply for it. But that doc decided that because I could find the documentation to prove it and that I seemed smart. That those were reasons that I shouldn't me allowed to receive MAID. Right now my account is flagged that I need a doctor to send in that I can apply for MAID again. I've been blocked from self referring for any reason now until that happens.

fallingasl33p

fallingasl33p

Stuck
Jan 2, 2024
I've been working on getting approved for MAID for over 2 and a half years now without making much progress. I've been trying to get approved for the hell that my autism/aspergers puts me through. My family doc won't help with the process. She keeps saying to get my psych to do it. But he's from a religion that prohibits euthanasia so he won't have anything to do with it. I've gotten as far as getting someone to sign as a witness to my consent form. I did get to the point of talking a bit with one of the MAID doctors myself. Even proved to her that under MAID that autism is not a mental health condition and as such is a valid reason to apply for it. But that doc decided that because I could find the documentation to prove it and that I seemed smart. That those were reasons that I shouldn't me allowed to receive MAID. Right now my account is flagged that I need a doctor to send in that I can apply for MAID again. I've been blocked from self referring for any reason now until that happens.
What country are you from though and are non-residents barred from applying? I've recently tried through Pegasos and just got a generic no with no elaboration and a link to a suicide hotline. I responded trying to get a better understanding of why and the exact requirements but have heard nothing.

I

InTheAbyss

Jul 30, 2024
What country are you from though and are non-residents barred from applying? I've recently tried through Pegasos and just got a generic no with no elaboration and a link to a suicide hotline. I responded trying to get a better understanding of why and the exact requirements but have heard nothing.
I'm from Canada. Non-residents can't apply. One of the requirements for MAID is to "be eligible for publicly funded health care services in Canada (or in the applicable waiting period)". Which requires you to be a citizen or have gotten permanent resident status to my knowledge. The waiting period for newcomers varies by province which can vary from 0-3 months as far as I know. I might be off on that. MAID is so hard to get here. Even if you make it through all the regulations for eligibility there are soo few doctors that actually participate in the program that it's near impossible to get one. I was lucky to get to talk to the only one in the area. But the assessment went about as bad as it could have. She didn't get why I was applying at all.

I've looked at Pegasos myself. But haven't tried applying. Mostly because of the cost. It says to even apply for VAD Which is CHF100 per year and the cost of applying for VAD there is about another CHF10000. Doing currency conversions to CDN that works out to be more than my life savings (such as it is) and still doesn't guarantee you'll get approved. They said in a faq that they hope in the future to provide financial add to people that can't afford it, but don't say that they do. Did you pay the membership fee and such to apply? Just rechecked the info on their website. Doesn't look like it changed.

kilowatt

kilowatt

Guns don't kill people I kill people
Sep 9, 2023
I got sick so quick after my last attempted overdose even with multiple different antiemetic. Can't even imagine the physical turmoil of an actual poison shredding your insides. I'm a pussy, I just want to go to sleep man…
SN is one of the most preferred methods hence the quick death that in many times occurs nearly painless. It is not a violent process, just plain chemistry. It is also greatly accessible in Europe, but pretty much everyone from around the world can get their hands on a good source with a bit of effort.
As the others above me said, MAID is not worth the wait and effort unless you're already terminally ill.

Reactions: Alexei_Kirillov and opheliaoveragain
fallingasl33p

fallingasl33p

Stuck
Jan 2, 2024
I'm from Canada. Non-residents can't apply. One of the requirements for MAID is to "be eligible for publicly funded health care services in Canada (or in the applicable waiting period)". Which requires you to be a citizen or have gotten permanent resident status to my knowledge. The waiting period for newcomers varies by province which can vary from 0-3 months as far as I know. I might be off on that. MAID is so hard to get here. Even if you make it through all the regulations for eligibility there are soo few doctors that actually participate in the program that it's near impossible to get one. I was lucky to get to talk to the only one in the area. But the assessment went about as bad as it could have. She didn't get why I was applying at all.

I've looked at Pegasos myself. But haven't tried applying. Mostly because of the cost. It says to even apply for VAD Which is CHF100 per year and the cost of applying for VAD there is about another CHF10000. Doing currency conversions to CDN that works out to be more than my life savings (such as it is) and still doesn't guarantee you'll get approved. They said in a faq that they hope in the future to provide financial add to people that can't afford it, but don't say that they do. Did you pay the membership fee and such to apply? Just rechecked the info on their website. Doesn't look like it changed.
No wasn't going to risk paying the fee to get an instant "no" I just contacted them through the site and again by email
SN is one of the most preferred methods hence the quick death that in many times occurs nearly painless. It is not a violent process, just plain chemistry. It is also greatly accessible in Europe, but pretty much everyone from around the world can get their hands on a good source with a bit of effort.
As the others above me said, MAID is not worth the wait and effort unless you're already terminally ill.
I always read horror stories which put me off but maybe those people didn't include antiemetics/sedatives or whatever…

kilowatt

kilowatt

Guns don't kill people I kill people
Sep 9, 2023
I always read horror stories which put me off but maybe those people didn't include antiemetics/sedatives or whatever…
Mostly the only distressing part about SN is the possibility of throwing up, tho in an attempt done correctly the discomfort would be minimal compared to other methods. There's a lot of goodbye threads of people succeeding with SN, some even giving updates and noting how they feel.