ArteriesBindEveryon

ArteriesBindEveryon

Feb 9, 2023
I'm a college student who has trouble waking up in the morning. I have constant classes from 9am to 3pm with no breaks. I don't have time to eat more than a granola bar in the mornings and I don't get to eat until after I'm done with all my classes. It's absolute hell and I'm becoming more and more unstable to the point where others are starting to notice. How can I hide this better?

• Aww..
Reactions: whywere, ForgottenAgain and kermudgeon
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you 🕯️ Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
I have constant classes from 9am to 3pm with no breaks. I don't have time to eat more than a granola bar in the mornings and I don't get to eat until after I'm done with all my classes. It's absolute hell and I'm becoming more and more unstable to the point where others are starting to notice.
or dont hide it and bring it to a counselor or something? theres bring responsible but this is going a bit far. no school, job, or anyone for that matter should ask that of you

unless its "optional" (you have an eating disorder), why would you want to hide it?

Reactions: superwacki and kermudgeon
ArteriesBindEveryon

ArteriesBindEveryon

Feb 9, 2023
or dont hide it and bring it to a counselor or something? theres bring responsible but this is going a bit far. no school, job, or anyone for that matter should ask that of you

unless its "optional" (you have an eating disorder), why would you want to hide it?
The reason why my classes are like this is because my schedule didn't get submitted right, so I basically had zero options for times. On Tuesdays and Thursdays I have constant classes, other days it's just one class. I don't have any other choice but to do this since all the other classes were full. My school has anti-suicide propaganda everywhere, so I'm worried that if I speak to a counselor they'll look into my past and see I'm not "normal".

Edit: Forgot to mention that I don't have an eating disorder. If I had the time I'd hundred percent eat.

• Hugs
Reactions: Life_and_Death
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Jul 1, 2020
I speak to a counselor they'll look into my past and see I'm not "normal".
(depending on where you live obviously) i dont see why they would feel the need to look into your past for this, and even if they do it shouldnt effect anything. the rule about getting anyone involved is typically worded "a current danger to yourself or others" which you wouldnt be (at least nothing in relation to this)

i can understand "this is how it worked out", but i worry about your health and the school should be as well

Reactions: ForgottenAgain and superwacki
ArteriesBindEveryon

ArteriesBindEveryon

Feb 9, 2023
(depending on where you live obviously) i dont see why they would feel the need to look into your past for this, and even if they do it shouldnt effect anything. the rule about getting anyone involved is typically worded "a current danger to yourself or others" which you wouldnt be (at least nothing in relation to this)
Even that aside, I don't think they'd be able to do anything. I'm only in this predicament because all other classes are full. I'm a transfer student so I need very specific classes to pass.

Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Jul 1, 2020
Even that aside, I don't think they'd be able to do anything. I'm only in this predicament because all other classes are full. I'm a transfer student so I need very specific classes to pass.
transfer student or not, i dont think it would hurt to ask. you already know they might say no, but theres a chance they might not. you wont know unless you ask.

Reactions: superwacki
kermudgeon

kermudgeon

Exit Through the Gift Shop
Feb 8, 2024
I'm so sorry you're going through this- it sounds very stressful :/

Unless it's a lab course with no food or drinks allowed, can you bring something quiet to eat, like some tasty soft bread or a banana?

Or a smoothie in a coffee mug for your first class? You might even be able to prepare and quickly blend it in the am to save time.

I'm a snacker and I've freely eaten (very quietly, cuz I'm also shy) in most of my classes and its never been an issue, but I understand rules are different everywhere. Good luck!

• Love
Reactions: doormat25, superwacki and Life_and_Death
ArteriesBindEveryon

ArteriesBindEveryon

Feb 9, 2023
I'm so sorry you're going through this- it sounds very stressful :/

Unless it's a lab course with no food or drinks allowed, can you bring something quiet to eat, like some tasty soft bread or a banana?

Or a smoothie in a coffee mug for your first class? You might even be able to prepare and quickly blend it in the am to save time.

I'm a snacker and I've freely eaten (very quietly, cuz I'm also shy) in most of my classes and its never been an issue, but I understand rules are different everywhere. Good luck!
I don't have a blender so I can't do a smoothie, but a banana is a good idea. Some teachers are more strict than others but there are opportunities for that. Thanks for the idea!

• Hugs
Reactions: Life_and_Death, kermudgeon and doormat25
LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
Can you prepare lunches for you the night before! Surely there must be some internal where you can eat them, if not in class?

Reactions: kermudgeon
Linda

Linda

Jul 30, 2020
Pack a couple of extra granola bars, and get a quick bite between classes. Working 6 hours continuously is no big deal. When I worked for a living I was often so busy that there was no time for lunch, which meant 8 or more hours working continuously - in a very demanding job and often under a lot of pressure. You can do it. (As a student I had classes 6 days a week, staring at 9 am. Lots of lab work in the afternoons. And lots of work I had to do outside classes. Basically, the only time I got to myself in the entire week was Sunday afternoon and evening.) Welcome to the real world.

• Hmph!
Reactions: Praestat_Mori, ThatStateOfMind and doormat25
kermudgeon

kermudgeon

Feb 8, 2024
Pack a couple of extra granola bars, and get a quick bite between classes. Working 6 hours continuously is no big deal. When I worked for a living I was often so busy that there was no time for lunch, which meant 8 or more hours working continuously - in a very demanding job and often under a lot of pressure. You can do it. (As a student I had classes 6 days a week, staring at 9 am. Lots of lab work in the afternoons. And lots of work I had to do outside classes. Basically, the only time I got to myself in the entire week was Sunday afternoon and evening.) Welcome to the real world.
That's great that you were able to do such a hectic schedule, but not everyone has the same physiology and it's not working out for the op. Arteries is here asking for help.

• Love
Reactions: kawaiiphantom, Life_and_Death and ThatStateOfMind
T

ThatStateOfMind

Enlightened
Nov 13, 2021
This is insanely insensitive! "I did it, so you can too" is the biggest BS argument ever. You are definitely an outlier and not the standard. Also, even putting that aside, there are bodily differences such as metabolism, genetics, etc. OP could have a very fast metabolism so they may need to eat more often something. You could've left it at the first sentence where you said to pack a granola bar or getting a quick bite between classes, which isn't a terrible suggestion, but no, you had to try and get on a high horse and act like your better than OP because he wants some time to eat? Ridiculous.

Reactions: kermudgeon and Life_and_Death
Linda

Linda

Jul 30, 2020
That's great that you were able to do such a hectic schedule, but not everyone has the same physiology and it's not working out for the op. Arteries is here asking for help.
Everyone is capable of packing a few granola bars (or something else) and getting a quick bite between classes, like I suggested. The OP's problem can very easily be managed. It should not be a big issue.
This is insanely insensitive! "I did it, so you can too" is the biggest BS argument ever. You are definitely an outlier and not the standard. Also, even putting that aside, there are bodily differences such as metabolism, genetics, etc. OP could have a very fast metabolism so they may need to eat more often something. You could've left it at the first sentence where you said to pack a granola bar or getting a quick bite between classes, which isn't a terrible suggestion, but no, you had to try and get on a high horse and act like your better than OP because he wants some time to eat? Ridiculous.
There is nothing insensitive about my common-sense suggestion of packing a few granola bars (or whatever OP prefers) and getting a quick bite to eat between classes. It seems to me that the problem here is OP's attitude to a minor inconvenience. Reality is not always convenient, and the best response to minor inconvenience is to get used to it or plan around it. Lots of people in the world have to go **days** without food, and they find ways of coping. You can describe my post as "tough love" if you want, but it is not insensitive.

Last edited:
kermudgeon

kermudgeon

Feb 8, 2024
It seems to me that the problem here is OP's attitude to a minor inconvenience. Reality is not always convenient, and the best response to minor inconvenience is to get used to it or plan around it. Lots of people in the world have to go **days** without food, and they find ways of coping. You can describe my post as "tough love" if you want, but it is not insensitive.
oof, describing someone's difficulties with life's hardships as their "attitude towards a minir inconvenience " seems like a real slippery slope. It does matter that you think it isn't a big deal. It does not matter. When someone is looking for support you don't push them down farther.

And just because others have it worse doesn't magically make our troubles disappear. If it did there would be one person in the world having the worst life imaginable and the rest of us would be just fine.

• Hugs
Reactions: kawaiiphantom, ForgottenAgain and Life_and_Death
Linda

Linda

Jul 30, 2020
oof, describing someone's difficulties with life's hardships as their "attitude towards a minir inconvenience " seems like a real slippery slope. It does matter that you think it isn't a big deal. It does not matter. When someone is looking for support you don't push them down farther.

And just because others have it worse doesn't magically make our troubles disappear. If it did there would be one person in the world having the worst life imaginable and the rest of us would be just fine.
Look through the entire history of my posts. You will find that they display a great deal of empathy. It is very rare for me to take a different approach, and I only do that if I think there is good reason. In this case, I genuinely do not think that empathy is the right approach. It seems to me that OP would do much better to take a "can-do" attitude to the problem. It's not as though the problem is difficult to fix. When someone is looking for support and there are no easy solutions, I agree wholeheartedly with you that we should provide as much support and empathy as we can. But when they are looking for support about something they can very easily fix themselves, sometimes the right response is to encourage them to face reality. I try to tailor my responses to the needs of the poster, as best I can, and that is what I did in this case. If you don't like it, that's your right. But it's my right to make my own judgements about how I respond to posts.

Last edited:
M

Moonomyth

Student
Feb 6, 2020
Are these large lecture courses? If so, eat in the course. If the instructor objects, complain to their department and they will back down, especially if they are an adjunct instructor (which they usually are in large lecture courses).

Are these smaller, more individualized courses? If so, speak with administration about a plan to be able to eat while in the course, or to be allowed to show up late in order to get extra food. This is a hassle, but it puts in writing that you're actively seeking accommodations with the university and trying to make this work for all parties involved.

Reactions: ForgottenAgain and lachrymost
kermudgeon

kermudgeon

Feb 8, 2024
This is a hassle, but it puts in writing that you're actively seeking accommodations with the university and trying to make this work for all parties involved.
That's a really good point

ArteriesBindEveryon

ArteriesBindEveryon

Feb 9, 2023
You're not wrong, but not really sharing anything new. Someone suggested something similar. I'm well aware that this is part of the real world and that pain is inevitable. I was simply asking if anyone had any advice to get through the hunger. I asked on here because I thought people with eating disorders might give advice on how to ignore hunger.
I never considered it but you're absolutely right about the metabolism thing. I've historically been underweight despite typically eating more than average.
Can you prepare lunches for you the night before! Surely there must be some internal where you can eat them, if not in class?
I'd rather have something small and quick I can eat while walking. Someone else suggested bananas, which I'll probably go with.

• Love
Reactions: kermudgeon and Linda
cryone

cryone

Experienced
Nov 23, 2023
advice everyone said above n i also think you should try waking up early aswell to eat breakfast. I know you struggle, i have the same issue, but you'll get used to it eventually. i used to not eat breakfast for a good few years bc i was tired as fuck n could not see the appeal in waking up 20ish mins earlier to eat, but then i started doing it and trust me, its def worth it.

Last edited:
Reactions: kermudgeon
Kasumi

Kasumi

tired
Mar 3, 2023
like.. u're a college student.. attendance isn't mandatory, so just pack some food and eat it at noon and just drop in the course 15 mins late, not like anyone can complain.
Heck I'd just go eat in the cafeteria when I'm hungry.

• Hugs
Reactions: Suicidebydeath
Final_Choice

Final_Choice

Mage
Aug 3, 2023
Does your university have a dietician or counseling center or something along those lines? They might be able to help you move things around for you.