S

ScubaCTB

Student
Jan 1, 2024
If my inert/scuba CTB fails, I'll already be in the woods/mountains. I am going to starve/dehydrate to death as the alternative. There seem to be many accounts of this method being peaceful in a lot of cases. For instance:

Instead of feeling pain, the patient experienced the sense of euphoria that accompanies a complete lack of food and water. She was cogent for weeks, chatting with her caregivers in the nursing home and writing letters to family and friends. As her organs failed, she slipped painlessly into a coma and died. [...]
"What my patients have told me over the last 25 years is that when they stop eating and drinking, there's nothing unpleasant about it—in fact, it can be quite blissful and euphoric," said Dr. Perry G. Fine, vice president of medical affairs at the National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization in Arlington, Va. "It's a very smooth, graceful and elegant way to go."

and this:

"Other clinicians who have not witnessed a VSED death may fear that if they inform an already suffering patient about this option, they might indirectly encourage a dying process that is unduly painful, prolonged, and "inhumane." Such fears are not supported by clinical reality. Several small empirical studies and an increasing number of anecdotal reports suggest that VSED provides most patients with a peaceful and gentle death that is generally well tolerated and occurs within 2 weeks of beginning the fast."

and this:

VSED is voluntary stopping of eating and drinking. Yes, there are some negative stories too. But I'm just trying to convince myself that, one way or the other, I will be gone in a few weeks. I'm simply not going to bring any food or water with me when I go. Well, maybe a little water to sip because the description of what happens to your mouth and face after days with no water are kind of nasty. Hospice patients take sips of water daily with no food and die within a couple weeks. But I also noticed that most of the peaceful starvation deaths are elderly people and/or terminally ill people.

I truly hope I don't have to do this. But when you really want out of this world, extreme and very extreme measures are necessary.

• Informative
Reactions: theEndCH, Slow_Farewell, farine_de_ble and 2 others
Slow_Farewell

Slow_Farewell

Warlock
Dec 19, 2023
I considered that method too, if one can get over the desire for eating/drinking. I think it's best to try fasting and see how it feels if it were me. I'm not confident I could go cold turkey and just starve on the day.

MeaningDork

MeaningDork

If there's a will, there's a way.
Jan 14, 2024
If my inert/scuba CTB fails, I'll already be in the woods/mountains. I am going to starve/dehydrate to death as the alternative. There seem to be many accounts of this method being peaceful in a lot of cases. For instance:

and this:

"Other clinicians who have not witnessed a VSED death may fear that if they inform an already suffering patient about this option, they might indirectly encourage a dying process that is unduly painful, prolonged, and "inhumane." Such fears are not supported by clinical reality. Several small empirical studies and an increasing number of anecdotal reports suggest that VSED provides most patients with a peaceful and gentle death that is generally well tolerated and occurs within 2 weeks of beginning the fast."

and this:

VSED is voluntary stopping of eating and drinking. Yes, there are some negative stories too. But I'm just trying to convince myself that, one way or the other, I will be gone in a few weeks. I'm simply not going to bring any food or water with me when I go. Well, maybe a little water to sip because the description of what happens to your mouth and face after days with no water are kind of nasty. Hospice patients take sips of water daily with no food and die within a couple weeks. But I also noticed that most of the peaceful starvation deaths are elderly people and/or terminally ill people.

I truly hope I don't have to do this. But when you really want out of this world, extreme and very extreme measures are necessary.
I think the only time starving didn't hurt was when I felt completely apathetic. Even when I began to get hunger pains I easily ignored them. Starvation is painful for most, but doable with enough will power. I remember some people going on hunger strikes in the psych ward because they wanted to die. Unfortunately they were force fed.