• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
Hey, I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck in getting approved for SSI for Aspergers/autism? I have a diagnosis for Aspergers when I was a teenager and do meet the requirements for SSI (not have more than $2,000 in assets which includes bank accounts (checking/savings), first house/apartment doesn't count, first vehicle doesn't count, personal effects are exempt, etc., also have a diagnosed medical condition/disability that is likely to last more than a year, and also make less than the SGA amount, which is less than $1220 per month). I know I railed against psychiatry and vowed never to ever go to a therapist/counselor again. However, knowing this is an necessary evil to get approved for the benefits and I would likely make an exemption and swallow my pride (temporarily) to get what I need to survive. If I didn't have to go through a therapist/counselor and get a diagnosis or screening for SSI then I wouldn't, but because I need to as part of the process and want to get approved, I have no choice.

As of now, I do not currently have a job and am waiting on my SSI hearing date to be scheduled, which would likely be in 2020. Does anyone have any advice on what I can do to increase my chances of getting on SSI? I have already been denied in my initial claim, then appealed it and denied again, and now it's at the request for hearing/pending hearing phase. I know I must get an SSI lawyer to improve my chances of winning a case, but beyond that, I have no idea.

Reactions: H2H2, Severen and Circles
intheweeds

intheweeds

Student
Mar 20, 2019
Hey, I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck in getting approved for SSI for Aspergers/autism? I have a diagnosis for Aspergers when I was a teenager and do meet the requirements for SSI (not have more than $2,000 in assets which includes bank accounts (checking/savings), first house/apartment doesn't count, first vehicle doesn't count, personal effects are exempt, etc., also have a diagnosed medical condition/disability that is likely to last more than a year, and also make less than the SGA amount, which is less than $1220 per month). I know I railed against psychiatry and vowed never to ever go to a therapist/counselor again. However, knowing this is an necessary evil to get approved for the benefits and I would likely make an exemption and swallow my pride (temporarily) to get what I need to survive. If I didn't have to go through a therapist/counselor and get a diagnosis or screening for SSI then I wouldn't, but because I need to as part of the process and want to get approved, I have no choice.

As of now, I do not currently have a job and am waiting on my SSI hearing date to be scheduled, which would likely be in 2020. Does anyone have any advice on what I can do to increase my chances of getting on SSI? I have already been denied in my initial claim, then appealed it and denied again, and now it's at the request for hearing/pending hearing phase. I know I must get an SSI lawyer to improve my chances of winning a case, but beyond that, I have no idea.

I'm on SSI for my depression, ptsd, and anxiety disorders. There's really only two things you need. A lawyer, and lots of medical records.

You need to see a doctor/psychiatrist regularly to help build up your records, and if approved you'll need to continue seeing someone or they'll deny you the next time it comes up for review.

I had a lawyer and nearly 10 years of medical records including 3 hospitalizations that my lawyer used to help make my case.

Reactions: Halo13
G

Grumble

Lingering
Aug 25, 2018
Is Aspergers your only diagnosis? Seems like a stretch. The words "high functioning" are even part of the diagnosis.

They would be much more interested in hearing about why you have 2,000 posts on a suicide forum.

You will want an updated diagnosis and a look at what other possible diagnoses fit you as well. They will also want to know information about severity and how it impacts your life. As said above, medical documentation is key in these cases.

TAW122

TAW122

Aug 30, 2018
@intheweeds I hope I don't need to necessary have hospitalizations (whether voluntary or involuntary) in order to qualify for SSI. Any hospitalization or treatment would bankrupt me and fuck me up even worse. I don't even have health insurance currently and also since I currently have a firearm, I cannot afford to lose it or my right to bear arms (it's my CTB method when things go to shit). As for continued treatment and seeing a therapist even after approval, I suppose I'll have to comply and if my condition worsens or stays the same, then I should be able to continue to qualify if they do review my case (year or so after approval).

@Jen Erik It looks like I might be able to get a diagnosis for other stuff like anxiety and depression. I'm very certain I do have anxiety as I tend to be more anxious overall for almost no reason, and it got worse as I gotten older. Also, I'm quite disheartened and pessimistic most of my time, with sparse times of happiness. Maybe I might pass for another diagnosis.

@Grumble I don't know if I want to mention about why I have over 2K posts in a pro-choice suicide discussion forum. I'd be more afraid of getting sent to the hospital for it that I don't want to even take ANY chance by mentioning suicide or harm. As for getting an updated diagnosis, I have looked into that as well. So far the SSA has sent me to one of their approved psychologists to get medical documentation of my Aspergers and depression and stuff. This was for my initial claim since they didn't accept my original Aspergers diagnosis from when I was a teenager.

TAW122

TAW122

Aug 30, 2018
Update, bump, w/e. So I've decided to look into services in my area for free or very, very low cost of mental health services. While I know I'm generally averse to therapy, counseling, and what not, I see this as a way to create a paper trail, to get a proper diagnosis so that I may increase my chances of getting SSI if I need it in the future. I still haven't found much yet, and not sure if I will find one that is free in my area. If anyone knows about how medicaid works, please let me know. I don't know if they just cover the entire cost or if a therapist or mental health counselor's services. I don't want to waste my money (or money that I don't have) or end up in a situation where they just hand me a bill for hundreds of dollars or even thousands of dollars without my consent or knowledge.

PatKat

PatKat

Meh
Aug 9, 2018
Update, bump, w/e. So I've decided to look into services in my area for free or very, very low cost of mental health services. While I know I'm generally averse to therapy, counseling, and what not, I see this as a way to create a paper trail, to get a proper diagnosis so that I may increase my chances of getting SSI if I need it in the future. I still haven't found much yet, and not sure if I will find one that is free in my area. If anyone knows about how medicaid works, please let me know. I don't know if they just cover the entire cost or if a therapist or mental health counselor's services. I don't want to waste my money (or money that I don't have) or end up in a situation where they just hand me a bill for hundreds of dollars or even thousands of dollars without my consent or knowledge.
So for no cost to you there are 2 nonprofits that help you find this kind of stuff they are nationwide. 211 and Aunt Bertha. It is anonymous, just enter your zip code and it will show you everything. They will also help you no charge if you need further assistance. I believe you can even call them also. Medicade is a tough battle imo I was put on medicade when I was found in a suicide attempt for only 6 months.

When I was on medicade I had nocopay for my psychologist , PCP, or psychiatrist. There is a percentage fee if you get admitted until you meet the deductible.

Last edited:
TAW122

TAW122

Aug 30, 2018
So for no cost to you there are 2 nonprofits that help you find this kind of stuff they are nationwide. 211 and Aunt Bertha. It is anonymous, just enter your zip code and it will show you everything. They will also help you no charge if you need further assistance. I believe you can even call them also. Medicade is a tough battle imo I was put on medicade when I was found in a suicide attempt for lola 6 months.

When I was on medicade I had nocopay for my psychologist , PCP, or psychiatrist. There is a percentage fee if you get admitted until you meet the deductible.
Thanks @PatKat I'll look into these.

• Hugs
Reactions: PatKat
Severen

Severen

Enlightened
Jun 30, 2018
SSI for disabled people in the USA. LOL Yeah, let's make them wait years and years, dealing with rejection after rejection after they become disabled... Like that isn't going to make people become homeless.... Republicans must be laughing their asses off.

• Aww..
Reactions: myusername890, TAW122 and PatKat