Would you like a safe pronoun system ?

• Total voters

TW She/Her
Aug 9, 2020
Hey yall !!
As some of you know, I am quite active in the LGBT+ community. To some people being misgendered is not a big deal, but to other, it can be a huge trigger. Is there a way to build a safe pronoun system so that does not happen again?
Love you :heart:

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Rn110bg101, Wisdom3_1-9, VIBRITANNIA and 5 others
Nymph

Nymph

he/him
Jul 15, 2020
I'm non binary and I kinda don't care but I guess it would be cool if we had that. I automatically call everyone "they" unless they stated what gender they are before

Reactions: ocd is bad, Stick and Deleted member 4993

TW She/Her
Aug 9, 2020
I'm non binary and I kinda don't care but I guess it would be cool if we had that. I automatically call everyone "they" unless they stated what gender they are before
You would off course have the possibility to ask people to use the "them" pronoun for you. Moreover, I can't remember each persons gender I speak to...

• Hmph!
Reactions: almost_dead and noaccount
XYZ

XYZ

I just can’t get these damn wrists to bleed
Jul 22, 2020
I have nothing against adding more alternatives on the profile where it now says Male / Female / Who knows?

But I would not register my gender anyway. Nor would I care about other people's gender identities. I like forming an opinion about a user based on their posts, not my preconceived ideas about who they are. The same goes about nationality.

• Love
Reactions: ocd is bad, 141592653, almost_dead and 8 others
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I'd be fine either way.

Reactions: Deleted member 4993
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
I've noticed that people make their pronouns their custom title when it's important to them.

Reactions: Deleted member 4993, Deleted member 18655, 141592653 and 2 others
Good4Nothing

Good4Nothing

Unlovable
May 8, 2020
I remember the first time i heard someone say they identify as an attack helicopter.
That still makes me laugh.

Reactions: Deleted member 4993, Fragile and Skathon
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you 🕯️ Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
you should make a ticket for this. of course i also think its awesome to get other peoples opinion on it

Reactions: Deleted member 4993 and Stick

TW She/Her
Aug 9, 2020
I remember the first time i heard someone say they identify as an attack helicopter.
That still makes me laugh.
Yes it is a standard attack against transgender people. And I acknowledge is funny. It's the same that putting on the same level homosexuals and zoophiles though if you think further. Or "attack helicopter"-sexual. This is so stupid it's hilarious.
I have nothing against adding more alternatives on the profile where it now says Male / Female / Who knows?

But I would not register my gender anyway. Nor would I care about other people's gender identities. I like forming an opinion about a user based on their posts, not my preconceived ideas about who they are. The same goes about nationality.
I approve the fact that you're not forced to do it. It's only for people who wants it. Moreover, if you speak to me you may not know I'm a woman and misgender me because you can't see me. And that hurts. And I am not the only one. I want to add this for people undergo misgendering even here which is meant to be a safe place.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stick and Deleted member 18655
woxihuanni

woxihuanni

Illuminated
Aug 19, 2019
I keep my gender to myself so that is for others to discuss. But how can people possibly, possibly misgender someone when all they know about them is what they reveal themselves? We do not share pictures or voices or anything here, we are only our written words.

Reactions: BeautifulMosaics, Stick, Fragile and 2 others
VIBRITANNIA

VIBRITANNIA

lelouch. any pronouns. pfp is by pixiv id 3217872.
Aug 10, 2020
there could be an option to select your pronouns when you edit your profile. i remember wattpad had (has? haven't used it in years) had a dropdown with some pronouns listed, and it'd show up on your profile alongside everything else.

but since pronouns are an important thing, i think it'd be better to have them displayed next to your username/custom title. i don't think many people check profiles before they respond to comments.

this is a really good recommendation, though. seeing as ss is supposed to be a supportive community, having a pronoun system would certainly make people feel more comfortable.

• Love
Reactions: Caspers, Stick, BitterlyAlive and 1 other person
Fragile

Fragile

Broken
Jul 7, 2019
I really don't see the point. This place is not some toxic social network where you need to document every detail of your life, here we talk about our choice to die and everything else is secondary. I'd even say that the less you put about yourself here, the safer you are. There are nasty people lurking and some users had welfare checks come to their homes because they post here. This is a great community, but the nature of the topic will always attract predators or simply people with bad intentions.

If it's really that important to you, then you can always make it part of your signature or custom title.

Reactions: glitchgirl, Stick and Skathon

TW She/Her
Aug 9, 2020
I really don't see the point. This place is not some toxic social network where you need to document every detail of your life, here we talk about our choice to die and everything else is secondary. I'd even say that the less you put about yourself here, the safer you are. There are nasty people lurking and some users had welfare checks come to their homes because they post here. This is a great community, but the nature of the topic will always attract predators or simply people with bad intentions.

If it's really that important to you, then you can always make it part of your signature or custom title.
Oh it's not about creating a dating app or something. Though, I've got a lot of "yeah man" or stuff like that which I understand but make me less comfortable here.

Reactions: Stick and Myforevercharlie
BitterlyAlive

BitterlyAlive

---
Apr 8, 2020
Oh it's not about creating a dating app or something. Though, I've got a lot of "yeah man" or stuff like that which I understand but make me less comfortable here.
I'll just say this from my usage of the term. I call anyone "man" unless asked not to - not because I'm calling them male, but I just use it as a general term. If I ever use a term like that towards anyone here and it causes discomfort, please let me know! Also take a shot every time I say term :meh: :pfff:

Reactions: ocd is bad, Voy, GrumpyFrog and 2 others
Cant Maintain

Cant Maintain

Garbage Fire
Aug 21, 2020
This is fucking important and with trans people being such a high suicide statistic you would think the option would already be available for us. Instead of making us silent lurkers, why not make us active, open, members in your community to share our experiences and our struggles?

• Love
Reactions: VIBRITANNIA, Wisdom3_1-9 and 141592653
W

Wisdom3_1-9

he/him/his
Jul 19, 2020
Thank you so much for bringing this up. I can see that you, like me, have included your pronouns in your custom title. I think it's a good workaround. I'm gay and often talk about my husband. People would incorrectly refer to me as a female in their responses. While being misgendered is not offensive to me as a cis male, I thought it important that people understood I was speaking from a male perspective. I didn't want people to misattribute my thoughts to the female perspective as I have no right to speak on behalf of the female experience.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 141592653 and Life_and_Death

TW She/Her
Aug 9, 2020
Thank you so much for bringing this up. I can see that you, like me, have included your pronouns in your custom title. I think it's s good workaround. I'm gay and often talk about my husband. People would incorrectly refer to me as a female in their responses. While being misgendered is not offensive to me as a cis male, I thought it important that people understood I was speaking from a male perspective. I didn't want people to misattribute my thoughts to the female perspective as I have no right to speak on behalf of the female experience.
You gave me the idea ^^ , problem is that you can't see it in the chat. But as I say if people don't include pronouns np. I'll gender them to neutral.

Reactions: Wisdom3_1-9