• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

V

Volomori83

Haunted by the ghosts of the past
Jul 9, 2018
I had an interesting day yesterday, so I figured it wouldn't be a bad idea to share it on here with you all. It may help you, it may not.

In order to reduce the burden on my family when I CTB, I figured the best thing I could do for them is to make sure that all my funeral arrangements, well as many as possible while I'm still alive, are taken care of. I got in contact with a funeral director a few towns away from where I live and told them I didn't have very long left to live and that I wanted to make sure my funeral was taken care of prior to my death. I thought, at first, they'd question me further on the particulars of what disease I had (why wouldn't they assume it was a disease), at which point I knew my story would fall apart. They didn't. Instead I was invited to come to the parlour as these things are better done face-to-face. I agreed.

So yesterday I went to the funeral parlour. To say it felt bizarre was an understatement. I was greeted by a lovely woman who lead me in to a small office. She started by offering condolences on my situation, but still didn't press me on it, except only to ask if I'd been given a timescale. I told her weeks, maybe a couple of months. Still she didn't press me further.

She started by asking me what I would prefer; burial or cremation. I was always going to be cremated, as burial would inflate the cost unnecessarily as I wasn't particularly bothered about what happened to my body after I pass. She took me through the various plans they had to offer. We spent the best part of an hour discussing these options. After that she lead me through to a dark room in the back, to my shock (I wasn't expecting it tbh) I found myself surrounded by coffins. She took me round each of them, the ones available within my selected plan anyway, explaining the merits of each of them. I picked a fairly standard light brown pine one. In my head I was praying she wouldn't ask me to jump in and "try it out for size", I'm sure I'd have fainted if she did. She didn't, thankfully.

At this point the owner of the parlour came in, the lady explained the situation I told her to him, he offered his condolences and then asked me to come through to his office. I kinda half-thought I'd been rumbled. He asked me to take a seat and then asked me if I had any fears/concerns about the process of what happens to my body from when I pass, to the funeral. The question took me aback slightly. I didn't really know how to answer it. After a fairly lengthy pause the gentleman asked me if I would like him to explain it. I was hesitant but I said yes, and I'm so glad I did because this was actually the part which has brought me the most ease about my decision to end my life.

He explained everything from when they'd collect my body (not a date just a timescale from the time of death), to the preparations they'd make to my body for the service and the cremation. He talked about the respect they'd show —the care, as he put it— to my body. He even talked a little bit about the cremation process and the small service they'd have when interring my ashes, should my family not wish to make their own plans. I won't lie, in some respects, it felt a little macabre, but overall I felt such a sense of calm, for the first time in a long time, come over me. I realised this may actually have been the best thing I could do to prepare myself for death, to truly come to terms with it. I did feel bad about the fact I lied to them about the circumstances that lead me to their parlour, but I hope they'll understand why I did that when my time comes.

After that, all that was left was to agree on a payment plan and leave.

I share this with you because I feel there was a benefit, for me, to taking this action. You may think what I did was right, or wrong, or stupid or just plain weird but for me it made total sense. I now know exactly what will happen to my body when I die (one of the last big pieces of the puzzle for me) and it has genuinely given me a sense of relief. I am also content in knowing I am not leaving all of this to burden my family at a time when they will be rocked with grief and sadness. I hope it brings them some small comfort that despite causing them the pain, I have at least tried to make it just a little bit easier for them.

I would say to all of you who are, like me, definitely intent on CTB, then this may be something you'd consider doing to help your families and yourselves. It'll feel strange being there, discussing your own funeral plans but I think you would realise the benefit of having done it in the long run.

Reactions: Partial-Elf, Coolchicka, Donewith_ and 10 others
R

Rachel

Student
Aug 30, 2018
Thats actually a really good idea

Reactions: Volomori83
Severen

Severen

Enlightened
Jun 30, 2018
Now this is what I call CTBing with style and class.

Reactions: NoOneKnows, sunny.sativa, stillwoozy and 3 others
crimea_river

crimea_river

Experienced
May 27, 2019
I've had to sort out the arrangements for two funerals of family members. I must admit, it felt very diificult at the time. So I applaud you for your forethought, in trying to make a really difficult time slightly less unbearable for those left behind.

Looking back, I suppose arranging those funerals was somehow therapeutic in an odd way. Forced me to put grief on hold for a while and made me feel useful in some way.

I think I may folow your example though, as what's left of my relatives aren't very good at arranging stuff.

Reactions: Soul and Volomori83
Severen

Severen

Enlightened
Jun 30, 2018
I want a Viking funeral. But how the hell does one organize something like that?

G

Grumble

Lingering
Aug 25, 2018
I did feel bad about the fact I lied to them about the circumstances that lead me to their parlour, but I hope they'll understand why I did that when my time comes.
Your post reads to me like no lies were spoken.

It's good to hear you were given some peace of mind. Thank you for sharing this story.

Reactions: Volomori83 and Soul
ScorpiusDragon

ScorpiusDragon

Mage
Mar 25, 2019
I had an interesting day yesterday, so I figured it wouldn't be a bad idea to share it on here with you all. It may help you, it may not.

In order to reduce the burden on my family when I CTB, I figured the best thing I could do for them is to make sure that all my funeral arrangements, well as many as possible while I'm still alive, are taken care of. I got in contact with a funeral director a few towns away from where I live and told them I didn't have very long left to live and that I wanted to make sure my funeral was taken care of prior to my death. I thought, at first, they'd question me further on the particulars of what disease I had (why wouldn't they assume it was a disease), at which point I knew my story would fall apart. They didn't. Instead I was invited to come to the parlour as these things are better done face-to-face. I agreed.

So yesterday I went to the funeral parlour. To say it felt bizarre was an understatement. I was greeted by a lovely woman who lead me in to a small office. She started by offering condolences on my situation, but still didn't press me on it, except only to ask if I'd been given a timescale. I told her weeks, maybe a couple of months. Still she didn't press me further.

She started by asking me what I would prefer; burial or cremation. I was always going to be cremated, as burial would inflate the cost unnecessarily as I wasn't particularly bothered about what happened to my body after I pass. She took me through the various plans they had to offer. We spent the best part of an hour discussing these options. After that she lead me through to a dark room in the back, to my shock (I wasn't expecting it tbh) I found myself surrounded by coffins. She took me round each of them, the ones available within my selected plan anyway, explaining the merits of each of them. I picked a fairly standard light brown pine one. In my head I was praying she wouldn't ask me to jump in and "try it out for size", I'm sure I'd have fainted if she did. She didn't, thankfully.

At this point the owner of the parlour came in, the lady explained the situation I told her to him, he offered his condolences and then asked me to come through to his office. I kinda half-thought I'd been rumbled. He asked me to take a seat and then asked me if I had any fears/concerns about the process of what happens to my body from when I pass, to the funeral. The question took me aback slightly. I didn't really know how to answer it. After a fairly lengthy pause the gentleman asked me if I would like him to explain it. I was hesitant but I said yes, and I'm so glad I did because this was actually the part which has brought me the most ease about my decision to end my life.

He explained everything from when they'd collect my body (not a date just a timescale from the time of death), to the preparations they'd make to my body for the service and the cremation. He talked about the respect they'd show —the care, as he put it— to my body. He even talked a little bit about the cremation process and the small service they'd have when interring my ashes, should my family not wish to make their own plans. I won't lie, in some respects, it felt a little macabre, but overall I felt such a sense of calm, for the first time in a long time, come over me. I realised this may actually have been the best thing I could do to prepare myself for death, to truly come to terms with it. I did feel bad about the fact I lied to them about the circumstances that lead me to their parlour, but I hope they'll understand why I did that when my time comes.

I share this with you because I feel there was a benefit, for me, to taking this action. You may think what I did was right, or wrong, or stupid or just plain weird but for me it made total sense. I now know exactly what will happen to my body when I die (one of the last big pieces of the puzzle for me) and it has genuinely given me a sense of relief. I am also content in knowing I am not leaving all of this to burden my family at a time when they will be rocked with grief and sadness. I hope it brings them some small comfort that despite causing them the pain, I have at least tried to make it just a little bit easier for them.

I would say to all of you who are, like me, definitely intent on CTB, then this may be something you'd consider doing to help your families and yourselves. It'll feel strange being there, discussing your own funeral plans but I think you would realise the benefit of having done it in the long run.
How old are you if you don't mind me asking? I'd like to do this, but I'm worried they'd start asking questions if they saw how young I am. 25 seems a bit young to be making funeral arrangements.

T

Tally

Student
Apr 29, 2019
Good post @Volomori83

I thought I'd just do the "body to science" route, which appears to be free in the UK. But like you, I think it's important that those planning to CTB take responsibility (if they can) for after death arrangements and remove some pain from family.

Lara Francis

Lara Francis

Enlightened
Jun 30, 2018

I think this is a great idea.when my husband died i was devastated and needed to plan his funeral.i could bearly think straight but knew i had to get everything perfect for him,me and our son or i would never have forgiven myself.!
I can see how this helps you mentally prepare too.
I watched a programme last night that explained how swedish people prepare for their death in advance.
They pay a funeral tax throughtout their lives much like national insurance but it covers the basic finincial cost of your funeral,then people start death cleaning i think they called it ? The process of clearing those things you do not want or need to reduce the amount of possessions left when u r gone.
All good ideas and worth thinking about.
Its a thoughtful thing u have done and will b appreciated when your time comes.
I will do the same.
its been 2 and a half years since my husband passed but i am still too upset to do his headstone.
I did force myself to the stone masons at one point just to get some information and could not refrain from asking if they would put my name on too in advance which i can tell you was one step too far !
I know you may have felt strange but the the look and responsive i got was one which i am sure will never be forgotten by us both !.

Last edited:
T

TiredHorse

Enlightened
Nov 1, 2018
I have pre-paid my cremation --which includes transport of my body, delivery of ashes, etc.-- and highly recommend it as a final detail. On the phone I had a similar discussion about the process as you had in person. It was, as you say, a peculiar sort of relief. And no, they never once asked me what my anticipated cause of death was; their discretion is both admirable and convenient.

Going in person, discussing the final arrangements face to face, was pretty bold. I'm impressed at your courage as well as your thoughtfulness.

G

Grief

May 25, 2019
I can see how self-planning may console a family where the soon to be departed suffers from a terminal illness. Funeral homes inherently provide very high levels of service to minimize stress to family members. Some will even say making funeral arrangements is part of the grieving process. Afterwards is when the unbearableness of the loss becomes profound. The funeral is a finite event and its burden will be infinitely outweighed by the pain of the loss of your presence if your family feels that your death was preventable or premature.

Last edited:
Bulletwbttrflywings

Bulletwbttrflywings

My soul is awakened... and I’m f*cked
May 29, 2019

This is a GREAT idea that I've wanted to act on. The only thing for me is that I'd have to have a life insurance policy for the final payment. If death by suicide happens within 2 years, it's no good. I haven't been back... this is a great reminder to just go... it's already been over a year since I first visited.

V

Volomori83

Haunted by the ghosts of the past
Jul 9, 2018
How old are you if you don't mind me asking? I'd like to do this, but I'm worried they'd start asking questions if they saw how young I am. 25 seems a bit young to be making funeral arrangements.
I'm 36.