PetiteAngel

PetiteAngel

Dec 12, 2019
Spain has legalised euthanisia. Comes into force in June. Has anyone else seen that

• Wow
Reactions: bad luck, noname223, Alec and 2 others
W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
Amazing!
I hope the same happens in Argentina!

Reactions: ansiedad, Spitfire and Sherri
Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
Well I'm right next to Spain, bring it on. For depression also not just terminal illnesses.

• Love
Reactions: DeadButDreaming, bad luck, ansiedad and 2 others
S

Symbiote

Global Mod
Oct 12, 2020
To request either, the person must:
  • suffer a "serious or incurable illness" or a "chronic or incapacitating" condition that causes "intolerable suffering"
  • be an adult Spanish national or a legal resident
  • be "fully aware and conscious" when they make the request, which has to be submitted twice in writing, 15 days apart
A doctor can reject the request if the requirements have not been met. It must be approved by a second medic and by an evaluation body.
Any medic can withdraw on grounds of "conscience" from taking part in the procedure.

From the article.

Reactions: Fehler, ansiedad and bad luck
Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
Spanish national, that's to avoid suicide tourism. Hope they change that. Thanks for the info.

Reactions: bad luck, ansiedad and Spitfire
bad luck

bad luck

Memento mori
Mar 2, 2021
I live in Spain. We'll see. In this country, people's rights are skipped. Almost all doctors will refuse by the Hippocratic oath. When the law is published I will read it thoroughly as I find it too pretty. Probably not very old depressives will be told not, to follow slaves in shitty jobs and pay practically 50% of your money in direct and indirect taxes.

Reactions: pthnrdnojvsc and ansiedad
Darrenloses

Darrenloses

Student
Nov 27, 2018
Spain have their act together

Reactions: ansiedad
killedbypsychiatry

killedbypsychiatry

drugging kids is abuse
Jan 27, 2021
Do you guys think it would cost a lot like dignitas and pegasos? I'm in the process of becoming a Spanish citizen

Reactions: bad luck
bad luck

bad luck

Memento mori
Mar 2, 2021
Do you guys think it would cost a lot like dignitas and pegasos? I'm in the process of becoming a Spanish citizen

It is in Spanish. I think it will come into force in June of this year and about the conditions it says the following: They may request the provision of help to die, which will be included in the portfolio of services of the National Health System, those who are in a situation of serious, chronic and incapacitating illness or serious and incurable disease causing intolerable physical or psychological suffering . What I fear is that many doctors will make conscientious objection, for many people this is a good law but I am not sure that the guarantee committee will approve all the requests. I have been denied several aid in my country because major depression, chronic anxiety and periods of agoraphobia seem not to be enough to be exempt from certain very stressful jobs, so we will have to see what happens and consult lawyers who handle these cases.
Spanish national, that's to avoid suicide tourism. Hope they change that. Thanks for the info.
You can always marry a Spaniard to obtain nationality

Tenor

It's a joke, although, you can legally obtain nationality with marriage

Last edited:
Reactions: killedbypsychiatry
killedbypsychiatry

killedbypsychiatry

drugging kids is abuse
Jan 27, 2021
What I fear is that many doctors will make conscientious objection, for many people this is a good law but I am not sure that the guarantee committee will approve all the requests.
Yeah, I can imagine doctors will be very strict when deciding who to help and who not to. I guess because they could be sued if they allow access to someone who wasn't that "sick". I have myalgic encephalomyelitis and a toxic encephalitis (undiagnosed) but I'm not sure if that's "enough". Ah so annoying, wish it was easier. I imagine they would also be very strict with allowing people with mental illness.

lofticries

lofticries

obedear
Feb 27, 2021
tbh I think it'll be a long time until the majority of us would ever be able to qualify for euthanasia. I'm still glad that some people will be helped to end their suffering in a more humane manner though.

bad luck

bad luck

Memento mori
Mar 2, 2021
Yeah, I can imagine doctors will be very strict when deciding who to help and who not to. I guess because they could be sued if they allow access to someone who wasn't that "sick". I have myalgic encephalomyelitis and a toxic encephalitis (undiagnosed) but I'm not sure if that's "enough". Ah so annoying, wish it was easier. I imagine they would also be very strict with allowing people with mental illness.
Wow, I'm sorry about your condition. I hope that at least you have treatment with which you can rest or suffer less. I know what physical and emotional pain is. They will probably throw me back because I have chronic major depression and here sometimes I don't know how to take the depressive seriously. They called me lazy .... It's not easy to go ultra medicated to work

Lmd

Lmd

Elementalist
Jul 12, 2020
With private medical security in Spain you can get whatever you want. They are very determined to paint the public healthcare system as something bad and the private as a paradise so I wouldn't worry too much about it.