WAITING TO DIE

WAITING TO DIE

TORMENTED
Sep 30, 2023
According to gnosticism the soul is separate from the spirit.
The soul is the personality of a person and is housed in the brain, and has no separate existence from the body, and dies when the body dies.
Whereas the spirit is housed in the heart , and is merely the energy that animates the body. Much like electricity powering a computer.
This spirit energy supposedly comes from God.
So I guess we are like human meat puppets animated by god according to gnosticism, and there is nothing of us that survives after death.
I don't believe in God, but wonder if this spirit energy comes from somewhere else, and dissipates into the atmosphere when our soul dies.

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Love
Reactions: sserafim, Forever Sleep, Adûnâi and 3 others
Saxenomorph

Saxenomorph

Life's not fair, is it?
Mar 2, 2023
I've always felt like a "horseman", like, my body is the horse while my soul or spirit is the rider. I believe when we die, we connect to something bigger, something collective. It could be god.

Reactions: sserafim, princexhhn and WAITING TO DIE
L

Lydia12

Sep 10, 2023
it would be funny my soul is alive flying from appartment to appartment watchung yt videos, maybe in yours :3 but I guess there is nothing left after death

Reactions: Sprite_Geist, sserafim, tiger b and 2 others
WAITING TO DIE

WAITING TO DIE

TORMENTED
Sep 30, 2023
I've always felt like a "horseman", like, my body is the horse while my soul or spirit is the rider. I believe when we die, we connect to something bigger, something collective. It could be god.
I've often wondered if there could be some kind of universal collective.
I always try and keep an open mind about things like this.
it would be funny my soul is alive flying from appartment to appartment watchung yt videos, maybe in yours :3 but I guess there is nothing left after death
I definitely hope there's nothing left after death.

Reactions: sserafim and Saxenomorph
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
If we assume that the what we call "soul or spirit" (I'd say it's the same here) is a kind of energy it is likely that this energy leaves the body during the process of dying. We don't know why dead matter in certain "configurations" (molecules) is conscious and has the ability to think and make decisions and so on.

We know only about 20% of what the universe consists 80% is totally unknown. We could assume that yet unknown dimensions or fields or maybe even yet undiscovered parts of the quantum theory are responsible for the fact that dead matter can have consciousness in certain configurations.

I think that after we die there's either nothing or our "energy" reunites with the quantum vacuum energy that is throughout the universe.

Reactions: sserafim, WAITING TO DIE and Saxenomorph
Saxenomorph

Saxenomorph

Life's not fair, is it?
Mar 2, 2023
I would love that lol

• Yay!
Reactions: sserafim and Lydia12
Shiva_Story

Shiva_Story

Student
Mar 12, 2023
according to Kabbalah everybody has a point in the heart but not everyone has a soul. It teaches that one develops or grows a soul through mindful practice of altruist thoughts, intentions, actions & correction of innate selfishness (that is thought of as source of evil)

In it God = nature and the Creator can only be revealed in mutual connection with others.
We are parts of 1 soul, the first original created being that shattered into many pieces but we are lost in a world of illusion/physical world.

I think we have started using tools in quest to overcome limitations of spacetime but deep inside we fundamentally yearn to be like the Creator and Soul is at the core of who we are and that after the body dies it's quest continues.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Informative
Reactions: sserafim, Forever Sleep, Adûnâi and 1 other person
WAITING TO DIE

WAITING TO DIE

TORMENTED
Sep 30, 2023
according to Kabbalah everybody has a point in the heart but not everyone has a soul. It teaches that one develops or grows a soul through mindful practice of altruist thoughts, intentions, actions & correction of innate selfishness (that is thought of as source of evil)

In it God = nature and the Creator can only be revealed in mutual connection with others.
We are parts of 1 soul, the first original created being that shattered into many pieces but we are lost in a world of illusion/physical world.

I think we have started using tools in quest to overcome limitations of spacetime but deep inside we fundamentally yearn to be like the Creator and Soul is at the core of who we are and that after the body dies it's quest continues.
This sounds interesting.
I'll do some research into Kabbalah.
Thanks.

• Love
Reactions: sserafim and Shiva_Story
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
Hmm, interesting. I always thought the soul contained the personality- otherwise, how could 'we' enjoy heaven? Seems weird to me. Is there a shortage in energy then? God ran out of batteries? Still- I guess that principle that energy can't be created or destroyed, only transferred fits with this. So- did our lifeforce once power dinosaurs? They were here a lot longer than us.

Reactions: sserafim and WAITING TO DIE
Ironweed

Ironweed

Nauseated.
Nov 9, 2019
So I guess we are like human meat puppets animated by god according to gnosticism, and there is nothing of us that survives after death.
I'm pretty sure virtually all the Gnostics believed in reincarnation, so I don't think this is correct. I guess you could argue the soul/spirit/whatever eventually wears out, in the same way (say) a coat might go through several owners before finally being tossed out, but a soul surviving death was, from what I understand, one of their beliefs.

I've also never heard of this spirit/soul bifurcation, either. Do you have any sources you can post explaining it? Pretty sure the Cathars and Bogonmils didn't believe it, at any rate. Assuming Wikipedia is correct, neither does Mandaeism, which AFAIK is the last surviving true surviving Gnostic religion, assuming the Muslms haven't wiped out the last 10,000 or so.

Reactions: sserafim
WAITING TO DIE

WAITING TO DIE

TORMENTED
Sep 30, 2023
I'm pretty sure virtually all the Gnostics believed in reincarnation, so I don't think this is correct. I guess you could argue the soul/spirit/whatever eventually wears out, in the same way (say) a coat might go through several owners before finally being tossed out, but a soul surviving death was, from what I understand, one of their beliefs.

I've also never heard of this spirit/soul bifurcation, either. Do you have any sources you can post explaining it? Pretty sure the Cathars and Bogonmils didn't believe it, at any rate. Assuming Wikipedia is correct, neither does Mandaeism, which AFAIK is the last surviving true surviving Gnostic religion, assuming the Muslms haven't wiped out the last 10,000

I've also never heard of this spirit/soul bifurcation, either. Do you have any sources you can post explaining it? Pretty sure the Cathars and Bogonmils didn't believe it, at any rate. Assuming Wikipedia is correct, neither does Mandaeism, which AFAIK is the last surviving true surviving Gnostic religion, assuming the Muslms haven't wiped out the last 10,000 or so.
thegnosticdread.tumblr.com
The difference between soul and spirit.

Reactions: sserafim