• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

Roger

Roger

I Liked Ike
May 11, 2019
Getting that message in at least a couple of threads. Is it self censorship by Forum Mods, or something external ?

Apostle

Apostle

Student
Apr 17, 2019
I haven't gotten this error. Sorry I don't have a solid answer for what it is, but maybe it has to do with certain words or topics being banned or blocked on the internet where you live. Could depend on policies or laws regarding what's allowed to be said and shown online in your area. I don't know anything about how that stuff works, especially in different parts of the world.
Or, if you're living with someone else, maybe they manually blocked those things for your home specifically.

L

-L-

‍‍‍‍‍‍ ‍‍
Jan 18, 2019
Getting that message in at least a couple of threads. Is it self censorship by Forum Mods, or something external ?
Its external, it is the linked websites in question blocking your request.

There are two possible reasons this could be happening.

1. Like others have suggested it could be due to you using a VPN, proxy, or tor relay. Some sites make efforts to block connections from such services. Or from traffic not coming from residential IP addresses.
It could also be the case that the website restricts traffic from certain countries due to licensing, legalities, or whatever else.

2. Or it could be that the site only fails to load in the message link preview on these forums. Websites can determine where your coming from and where their links are being used. (Using the refer property).
If they blocked traffic being referred from SS it will fail to load a link preview potentially with a 403 error.
You can get around this issue by opening the link in a new tab, or copying and pasting the link into a new tab or window.
You can also change settings in your browser to not send refer data, as so the websites in question do not know where you clicked the link.

I get these errors too, due to my own security measures, I have found my ways around them by taking the above into account.

If you need any help, just ask, or PM.

Edited to add, here is a useful post by @Jen Erik on disabling browser refer data. The links will still say they are unavailable in the preview on the forum, but ignore it and just click them.
If they still are not loading its the first issue (1) I mentioned.

Last edited:
M

M

This sounds like something on the ISP side. That is a strange error. Could you send me or post a screenshot of it here?

Reactions: PatKat and throwaway777
L

-L-

‍‍‍‍‍‍ ‍‍
Jan 18, 2019
This sounds like something on the ISP side. That is a strange error. Could you send me or post a screenshot of it here?
This is the error.
I get these all the time, from what I belive to be the refer header.
Either open it in a new tab or change some browser settings..
I still can open these, it just won't display the content in the form of a preview on this forum.

Roger

Roger

I Liked Ike
May 11, 2019

I am not clever with these things, but managed to post a screenshot on the "Are We Sage" thread #177

Johnnythefox

Johnnythefox

Que sera sera
Nov 11, 2018
I'm fairly certain this is to do with GDPR, I get it regularly when trying to access sites like news/technology and education outside of the EU.
It's nothing to do with this site, there are other ways to see the news such as FB and twitter.

GDPR

Reactions: jake3d