N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I really like to swear in English. I really like to drop the f-bomb. It sounds way cooler than in my native language. It is always cool when you learn a new language to know about new swear words. There is also a special allure to English swear words. The American media is so strict when it comes to censorship. This increases my fun to swear in your language. In German media you can say every fuck you want.

I sometimes don't get why members here use frikking instead of fucking. I mean there is no need to worry. We talk about way more explicit content in this forum.
Maybe it sounds better to avoid slang. But sometimes I like to communicate with slang words. I think it is quite cool as in the texts of DFW. The large variety of very formal and informal language can be quite funny.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Yay!
Reactions: lili, not-2-b-the-answer, onlyanimalsaregood and 9 others
symphony

symphony

surving hour-by-hour
Mar 12, 2022
I don't see the issue with it. Like if someone used literally only profanity ever, I'd be a little put off. But I like swearing to emphasize a point or make a joke and do so pretty regularly unless I know I'm around a person who hates it (read: my parents).

• Love
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer, onlyanimalsaregood, WhatDoesTheFoxSay? and 1 other person
RN12

RN12

Student
Jul 25, 2021
I somewhere read that in my country (the Netherlands) is the only country where people swear with illnesses.

Typhus, Cancer and Tering (tuberculosis) are used the most.

As example people say 'that party is cancerawesome!' 'damn that music is cancerloud' 'why is that tyfusradio broken already?'
it sounds stupid in English xD

the disease is used as a reinforcing word.

are there more country's where they swear with illness? I'm always questioned myself that because if i think about it it's pretty strange.
It's very very common here, if you go on the streets you hear people using it.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Informative
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer, whatevs, onlyanimalsaregood and 5 others
B

BreakingTheHabit

Jan 30, 2022
I agree that the censorship in the US is absurd. Those beeps that they always use to censor words really hurt especially when you have tinnitus.

• Hugs
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer, onlyanimalsaregood and houseofleaves
Red Scare

Red Scare

Wizard
Mar 1, 2022
Swearing is fun, and is not necessarily a sign of lower intelligence. On the contrary I believe it was once shown that people with large vocabularies and higher cognitive function swear more readily and easily. Stephen Frye, the comedian did a thing about it.

Fuck! Shit!

lol, sorry.

Last edited:
  • Yay!
  • Informative
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer, onlyanimalsaregood, WhatDoesTheFoxSay? and 1 other person
S

Someone123

Illuminated
Oct 19, 2021
Some people are offended by swearing and some are not, so it's worth it to keep this in mind. Growing up someone taught me a rule about swearing, which I like- if you only swear once in a while, then when you do swear it makes an impact- it gets people's attention, it let's them know you're really mad, or whatever. If you swear all the time it loses the impact. So I go by this rule, and this has worked out well. Plus so,me people are offended by swearing, which I understand because most swear words are designed to be offensive in one way or another. The people I have know who have sworn a lot have been people with a limited vocabulary so they drop swear words in a lot and they typically have come across as just not very good in their use of language.

Last edited:
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer and onlyanimalsaregood
RN12

RN12

Student
Jul 25, 2021
I somewhere read that in my country (the Netherlands) is the only country where people swear with illnesses.

Typhus, Cancer and Tering (tuberculosis) are used the most.

As example people say 'that party is cancerawesome!' 'damn that music is cancerloud' 'why is that tyfusradio broken already?'
it sounds stupid in English xD

the disease is used as a reinforcing word.

are there more country's where they swear with illness? I'm always questioned myself that because if i think about it it's pretty strange.
It's very very common here, if you go on the streets you hear people using it.
for the people interested here's an article about it xD

S

Symbiote

Global Mod
Oct 12, 2020
angry the simpsons GIF

• Yay!
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer, GentleJerk and RN12
GentleJerk

GentleJerk

Carrot juice pimp.
Dec 14, 2021
I really like to swear in English. I really like to drop the f-bomb. It sounds way cooler than in my native language. It is always cool when you learn a new language to know about new swear words. There is also a special allure to English swear words.
How's your understanding of the word shit? My Vietnamese friend is mindblown by it and still gets confused by all it's uses.

• Yay!
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer and RN12
N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
How's your understanding of the word shit? My Vietnamese friend is mindblown by it and still gets confused by all it's uses.
We have a very similar one in German (Scheiße). I prefer the word fuck and its usage.

Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer
GentleJerk

GentleJerk

Carrot juice pimp.
Dec 14, 2021

• Yay!
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer and Pianoplayer
Pianoplayer

Pianoplayer

Beer and music :)
Mar 28, 2021
Sometimes "fuck" is just the right and perfect word to use. The south park episode on swearing was perfect :P

• Yay!
W

waitingforrest

Elementalist
Dec 27, 2021
Fuck is a word that can be used in may situations. It's very convenient :D

• Love
RN12

RN12

Student
Jul 25, 2021
I think this is the best and most informative thread on SS.
I prefer a fucking cholera megathread about this topic.

Bryan Cranston Reaction GIF

Last edited:
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer and Angst Filled Fuck Up
M

MegaGordo

I stepped on the scale; it said "one at a time"
Apr 6, 2022
I feel for your friend. I'm American, and yet most of my friends in school were folks from other countries. English is one crazy language and the expressions and idioms we use(personally, I prefer the classic slang...none of this millennial bull puckey) no doubt would drive any non-native speaker to a website such as this as a remedy.
I aspire to broaden my range and use of euphemisms. I love creative euphemisms.

not-2-b-the-answer

not-2-b-the-answer

Archangel
Mar 23, 2018
I drop the f bomb on here frequently. We are all adults. Or supposed to be.:wink:
If I pm with someone who doesn't like it I try not to.
I think I've also used the word Frak or Frack ... Nerdy Battlestar Galactica reference. :wink:

Reactions: RN12
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you 🕯️ Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
I swear when necessary lol. I also don't know anyone that swears more then me, however like @Someone123 said, there's times for it. I don't do it around kids/certain people. If you tell me you don't want to hear it, I won't (even stood up for someone in middle school because assholes (my personal bully and my own friends included) were swearing around her and I bitched them all out). Other then that, yeah I'm going to freely swear. If I'm fine/not being triggered you'll see it a lot less. However if I'm upset, im on the side of the studies, swearing feels SO much better and really does help stress levels. If swearing isn't your thing maybe it doesn't help, but if you do swear having to hold back your emotions and rethink your thoughts doesn't help. Plus bpd so stress exists just because I do lol