Install-Gentoo

Install-Gentoo

Aug 23, 2022
Throughout life, I have always been told, "oh, you think this is bad, well it only gets worse!"
"If you're struggling in middle school, well buckle up cause your grades actually matter in high school"
"If you have problems in high school, well look forward to college where no one cares about other people's problems and you're on your own"
"If you're having a hard time in college, wait till you get a job where if you mess up you're out"
And then people saying they have hated their job for decades.
So there's just nothing to look forward to. No ambition, it's all fucked. How is "life only gets harder" a form of motivation? If I don't like it now, and it gets worse, what's wrong with cutting my losses?

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: resolutory, MindFrog, artificial_ineptness and 5 others
jodes2

jodes2

Hello people ❤️
Aug 28, 2022
At least once you're an adult things are consistently as hard. Until people around you start dying then you're alone

J

Julgran

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021
Throughout life, I have always been told, "oh, you think this is bad, well it only gets worse!"
"If you're struggling in middle school, well buckle up cause your grades actually matter in high school"
"If you have problems in high school, well look forward to college where no one cares about other people's problems and you're on your own"
"If you're having a hard time in college, wait till you get a job where if you mess up you're out"
And then people saying they have hated their job for decades.
So there's just nothing to look forward to. No ambition, it's all fucked. How is "life only gets harder" a form of motivation? If I don't like it now, and it gets worse, what's wrong with cutting my losses?

We are cogs in a machine that's never satiated of human blood and tears...

NumbItAll

NumbItAll

expendable
May 20, 2018
Yeah it's even funnier when this "advice" comes from parents. If life sucks so badly then why did you have kids?? Thanks for that one...

• Yay!
Reactions: resolutory, GenesAndEnvironment, Dissappointed and 3 others
foreverfalling

foreverfalling

Experienced
Jul 22, 2022
I used to think about the opposite way by looking back and seeing what I was missing out on
  • in high school, I missed how carefree and innocent primary school was
  • in university, I missed how much less stress and alone I was in high school
  • when out of university, I missed the routine and predictability of education
  • when I got a job, I missed all the free time I had in high school
Yeah it just gets shitter and shitter.

Reactions: resolutory
hamvil

hamvil

Wizard
Aug 29, 2022
I do not think it gets harder maybe more complex as you accumulate the consequences of more choices. What it true is that when you are young you still have many choices in front of you, they decrease with time for most people or at least that is my experience.

University was far easier for me than highschool, at least during university I manage to meet other nerds like me interested in card games and scifi. In highschool I was a sort of outcast.

PhD and job were far more difficult than university but pleasant in a way.

FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I do think that as the years go by and humans get older the suffering and problems will just increase and get worse. I see no point to struggling all for no purpose. Living is not desirable at all. The only thing that I look forward to is permanently ceasing to exist.

Reactions: resolutory and Install-Gentoo
Install-Gentoo

Install-Gentoo

Aug 23, 2022
I used to think about the opposite way by looking back and seeing what I was missing out on
  • in high school, I missed how carefree and innocent primary school was
  • in university, I missed how much less stress and alone I was in high school
  • when out of university, I missed the routine and predictability of education
  • when I got a job, I missed all the free time I had in high school
Yeah it just gets shitter and shitter.
The thing about happiness is you only ever realize you had it, when it's gone.

Reactions: DreamSurfer, resolutory and foreverfalling